Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Last night I deleted an important video from my iPad mini and I hadn't made a backup. Photostream was also off.
I've tried mounting the iPad as a drive using iexplorer in Windows and Mountain Lion, but none of my image recovery software seems to recognize it as a mass storage device.
The other alternative I've seen is using openssh to make a disk image, and then run recovery software on that. Has anyone tried that before?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Quick question. Have you turned off or rebooted the iPad since the deletion. Because if you did the system likely purged out any spot it might be in order to be recovered.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Haven't turned it off yet. Wifi is off and I haven't used any apps

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Have you tried restoring from a backup? I know iCloud and iTunes restores videos in the Camera Roll, so it's worth a shot.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Have you tried restoring from a backup? I know iCloud and iTunes restores videos in the Camera Roll, so it's worth a shot.

Per the original post, the iPad had not been backed up. Which is why all this fuss.

To that end, all the programs etc I could find require the device to be jailbroken. Which could end up overwriting portions of storage where the data might be hiding. So i'd say do it as a last resort and perhaps back up first. I've heard iTunes backups are a literal disk image so perhaps it might include any hidden deleted but not overwritten areas is try to hack into later. To that end, perhaps also so a iCloud one before playing around to get back the current data if needed. Even perhaps two iTunes ones. One to play with, one to use for hacking attempts. Or even three. Two before and one right after the jailbreak (for further hacking attempts). I'd add ifunbox to your arsenal. I couldn't find anything on a jailed device but I heard rumors on a jailbroken one it can see more levels. And it's free so why not try it

Good luck

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Per the original post, the iPad had not been backed up. Which is why all this fuss.

I see that but for some reason I looked at it like no backup of the video (as in deleted from the computer.) Just another reason to turn on iCloud backups so you've always got a recent one.

OP, is the video not on a computer somewhere? If not, how'd you get it on the iPad in the first place?

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010

To that end, all the programs etc I could find require the device to be jailbroken. Which could end up overwriting portions of storage where the data might be hiding. So i'd say do it as a last resort and perhaps back up first. I've heard iTunes backups are a literal disk image so perhaps it might include any hidden deleted but not overwritten areas is try to hack into later. To that end, perhaps also so a iCloud one before playing around to get back the current data if needed. Even perhaps two iTunes ones. One to play with, one to use for hacking attempts. Or even three. Two before and one right after the jailbreak (for further hacking attempts). I'd add ifunbox to your arsenal. I couldn't find anything on a jailed device but I heard rumors on a jailbroken one it can see more levels. And it's free so why not try it

Good luck

Thanks for looking into this. My iPad is already jailbroken (before deleting the video). I'll back it up and try to play with that file.

And the video is one I took on the iPad itself.

Blaire

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013
Have you synced your iPad with iTunes since you had the video on your iPad? Depending on the video, they might be able to re-download it if it was purchased from the iTunes Store. You can re-download TV Shows and Music Videos for free as many times as you want. But you cannot re-download Movies for free. Then again, if the video wasn't downloaded from the iTunes Store, it won't matter anyway since it is completely lost.
Of course you can recover your video using the data rescue application. It fixes any issue related to datas inaccessibility and recovery. For more information, I hope this can help you, good luck!

Last edited:

Judith123

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
New York
If there is no backup, I think the easiest way is to use data recovery software. There are so many software, and I think each one can pick up the suitable one.:)

folewar

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Some people may delete the videos occasionally to free space for downloading and installing other programs. There are a quantity of users might regret having removing some of the videos because of haven't further considered the importance of the media. So the next step is to calm down and think about how you can restore the removed videos. The only thing you can do is to find a professional data recovery program to restore the videos from your latest iTunes backup. You may be wondering is there any suitable software for iPad Mini since it’s not quite same as iPhone, iPod and other iPad. We assure you there won't be any problem if you choose iOS Data Recovery for iPad to retrieve your lost videos.

Phils01

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
errrr - I know this sounds stupid, but have you considered taking it to an Apple Genius bar or phoning their technical dept to see if they could help

byoefey

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
In order to solve the problem of how to recover deleted videos from iPad, I advice you'd better backup all files before following the steps. And you are possible to get them back if you often sync iPhone with iTunes, but you just can recover the last synced videos. And the older cannot be recovered in common method.
OK, the first thing you are required to do is close the function of "prevent iPad from syncing automatically." in iTunes, avoiding to sync iPad again.
Now, connect your iPad to pc and open iTunes.
iTunes> preferences> devices
All the backup data in iTunes will be displayed.
Then,click the File menu and select Devices > Restore from Back up
your iPad will restart and you can find them back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.