Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Can Anyone one tell me about some good six figure jobs? I'm looking for a good six figure job. I'm think about going to school for pharmacy, but I'm 36 yrs old. Pharmacy school is 6 yrs long. I have a bachelor of business administration.

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Run for federal office... no prior experience necessary....

Seriously.. you are going to need to put in time to develop skills, regardless.

Work with the experience you have already and build on that.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Run for federal office... no prior experience necessary....

Seriously.. you are going to need to put in time to develop skills, regardless.

Work with the experience you have already and build on that.

I've been working in education for 10 yrs and I've been working with people who have less education that are making more money than me. I might need to go work at the chemical planet so that I can make six figures. I've applied for other jobs at the community college that I currently work at. I just got a raise last July. But i would like to make more money.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Define good. I can easily make six figures if i work overtime and holidays and have no life. Does the six figures have to be a base, 40-hour a week salary? Can it be a sales based job, relying on commission? Etc etc.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Do you want to earn 6 figures for status or the money? Are you not happy with what you are making now. It sounds like you have money envy.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Search here:

Link 100K

There are plenty of choices, just aim something that you really like, get to the level you can perform well and you can get it.

And if you really want to get serious cash:

MR2ss_2013_02_17_pA1_BabysittersMakeMoney.png

photoshopped, but not the part you think

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Do you want to earn 6 figures for status or the money? Are you not happy with what you are making now. It sounds like you have money envy.

For money. $35,000 that after 10 yrs with the same company in the same department. I may have to bite that bullet and go to graduate school for pharmacy

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
For money. $35,000 that after 10 yrs with the same company in the same department
Is it solely money or do you not like the work you are doing now? Finding something you love should come first before making the most money. If your goals are just money you will never be happy.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Is it solely money or do you not like the work you are doing now? Finding something you love should come first before making the most money. If your goals are just money you will never be happy.
This is golden advice. OP, take it from those of us who have been there. Don't chase the money, chase what your dream is (and it ain't to be rich). If you had infinite money, what would you do once you traveled, bought all the crap you wanted?

Wise words:
  • Some of the happiest people in the world come home smelling the worst.
  • The last thing you'll think when you die is "I wished I worked more."

I'll end by saying, some of my personal friends that are the most miserable at work make the most (the majority are over 100K). That includes two immediate family members, and at least 10 close friends I can name off the top of my head. I'll be fair and include a very good friend that makes close to 100K and loves his job. However, he specifically sought out the job and turned down higher paying more management focused positions to continue doing what he loves.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Robbing banks is lucrative,

Good hours.

No formal education required.

Learn on the job.

Frequent VERY long vacations at State expense.

BTW: Interesting criterion you have for selecting one's life work. Try my suggestion...if it doesn't work, you'll have plenty of time to think about other options.

:rolleyes:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Its not everyones first choice but you can go work as an overseas contractor in a war zone. You'll make 6 figures.

That being said its usually 12 hours a day, seven days a week, with some kind of vacation every 4 - 6 months. Many people only last a year or two and you can't bring your family for obvious reasons.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Robbing banks is lucrative,

Good hours.

No formal education required.

Learn on the job.

Frequent VERY long vacations at State expense.

I second his statement. And if one does it right, they'll make a good movie out of it and us folks even talk about it on MR....

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Many of the sales guys at work have $100K base salaries. Their commissions amount to twice that number in addition and they get treated like royalty by mgmt. They don't need to know the products all that well or be good with everyday productivity tools but rather have excellent people skills.

The ends seem to be meeting pretty well for the CEO too. He got rid of the Porsche in favor of a Ferrari...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is what I tell my daughters. Don't look at the salary when figuring out what you want to do, but rather do what you love.

I'd rather make 30k doing something I love then spending 8+ hours every weekday doing something I don't like just because it pays me 100k a year

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
This is what I tell my daughters. Don't look at the salary when figuring out what you want to do, but rather do what you love.

I'd rather make 30k doing something I love then spending 8+ hours every weekday doing something I don't like just because it pays me 100k a year

So true.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I would probably weigh more of my options before settling on pharmacy.

The market is saturated and starting out of school you will have to relocate to just get a job or float to different stores instead of being settled at one if you work retail. Hospital pharmacy is steady but it is getting competitive.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Can Anyone one tell me about some good six figure jobs? I'm looking for a good six figure job. I'm think about going to school for pharmacy, but I'm 36 yrs old. Pharmacy school is 6 yrs long. I have a bachelor of business administration.

Please be sure to mention in your pharmacy school application that you're just looking for a job that'll net you more $$$. They'll take it from there.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Please be sure to mention in your pharmacy school application that you're just looking for a job that'll net you more $$$. They'll take it from there.
He could just skip the schooling and go right to drug dealer. They make a lot more money.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA

Yeah don't say that.

Only go into health care if you really care about what you are doing..otherwise you will be miserable and in debt.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
There is nothing wrong with looking for a job based on salary. Many people do not have a passion in life and will never find that dream job which makes them happy. They work to make money. And there's nothing wrong with that, IMO, as long as they still take some pride in the work they are doing (pride does not equal enjoyment) and do the work right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.