Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:38 PM   #1
iPersian
macrumors regular

Anyone who has bought rMBP 15 inch 2013 model that has a LG display

please check, im wondering if apple is still using LGs (crap) or if its samsung (sometimes crap) only.

there is a rumor again on the discussion board on apple.com that apple may have actually stopped using LGS on their updated 15 inch.
iPersian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:24 PM   #2
tim100
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPersian View Post
please check, im wondering if apple is still using LGs (crap) or if its samsung (sometimes crap) only.

there is a rumor again on the discussion board on apple.com that apple may have actually stopped using LGS on their updated 15 inch.
do you have a link to that article?
tim100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:49 PM   #3
iPersian
macrumors regular

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...=6945&tstart=0

click back a page or two and start reading the latest part of the giant thread.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:10 PM   #4
JeffiJers
macrumors 6502a

2013 w LG. not happy about it at all. Had a 2012 w samsung prior and apple couldn't figured out a glitch and gave me this. (asked them to keep trying on my old unit as i waned to keep samsung)

samsung screen was hands down brighter and vivid.
JeffiJers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:29 PM   #5
iPersian
macrumors regular

what configuration is your laptop? is it the new updated specs released in february?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffiJers View Post
2013 w LG. not happy about it at all. Had a 2012 w samsung prior and apple couldn't figured out a glitch and gave me this. (asked them to keep trying on my old unit as i waned to keep samsung)

what configuration has your laptop? is it with the new updated specs released in february?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:31 PM   #6
JeffiJers
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
what configuration is your laptop? is it the new updated specs released in february?

----------

what configuration has your laptop? is it with the new updated specs released in february?

yes its the new one.. base 2.4 model
JeffiJers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:36 PM   #7
iPersian
macrumors regular

thats horrible news

----------

looks like apple is still ripping off its costumers.

----------

Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:38 PM   #8
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
thats horrible news

----------

----------

I'm not sure why you consider this "ripping off," but I'm pretty sure only the minority of users care about this this.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:39 PM   #9
JeffiJers
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
thats horrible news

----------

----------

yup... It bothers me knowing I am almost guaranteed to have issues in the distant future and they will have to take apart this $2,200 computer.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Complete nonsense.

I've had both screens side by side when I purchased two MacBook Retina 15's.

Both screens look identical in brightness, color, tone, and every conceivable way. I checked this with a light meter and a color spectrometer ($1000 tool for calibrating cinema displays) and both showed under 3% difference in brightness and even less in color with the Samsung being darker (a 3% difference is negligible in brightness and you would never tell).

The source of the problem is likely all in your head.

The LG displays have also been fixed for burn in (my first LG display did have severe burn in though) so there should be no complaints.
Radiating is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:34 PM   #11
JeffiJers
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
Complete nonsense.

Both screens look identical in brightness, color, tone, and every conceivable way. I checked this with a light meter and a color spectrometer ($1000 tool for calibrating cinema displays) and both showed under 3% difference in brightness and even less in color with the Samsung being darker (a 3% difference is negligible in brightness and you would never tell).

The LG displays have also been fixed for burn in (my first LG display did have severe burn in though) so there should be no complaints.

Yes, i am looking to have issues with my computer. No, you are wrong.. My current LG retina computer i have to crank up to 3/4 brightness to give me what my samsung did at 1/2.

Even compaired to a cMBP 13 this display is noticeably dimmer.

last thing i want to do it spend time getting another computer. I am keeping this hoping for the best
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes, i am looking to have issues with my computer. No, you are wrong.. My current LG retina computer i have to crank up to 3/4 brightness to give me what my samsung did at 1/2.

last thing i want to do it spend time getting another computer. I am keeping this hoping for the best

The Retina display is SUPPOSED to be noticeably dimmer than the cMBP with BOTH and LG or a Samsung screen.

Look there is absolutely no way that your screen is noticeably dimmer JUST because you have an LG screen and not a Samsung screen. Apple actually specifies how bright the screen needs to be when sending specs to the manufacturers, and they specify this in the computer's spec sheet. If they delivered anything else there would be an instant class action lawsuit.

It is much more likely that you either invented the problem for example by comparing your LG screen to your cMBP and imagining that your Samsung screen was as bright as the cMBP, or that you have a defective machine that has reduced brightness.

Again, there is absolutely no way that the two different models of screen are designed or manufactured to have a significantly different levels of brightness. And like I said I have tested this issue back to back with lab grade equipment and visual comparisons and there is no significant difference, either technical or visual.
Radiating is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:52 AM   #13
Sean76
macrumors 6502

I owned a 13inch 2012 MBA and have recently gotten a 13inch rMBP, and I can deff notice that my retina display is dimmer then both my Air and both my Dads and Brothers 2011 and 2012 regular MBP.

However I'll take mine being a little bit dimmer when you take into account how crisp and vivid the colors are as a whole, and also how deep blacks are...similar to the likes of a Super Amoled screen on a phone. Overall I'm very impressed with the screen. But yes a little dimmer then a non retina screen.
Sean76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:06 AM   #14
chad.petree
macrumors newbie

Thats a shame, im considering wether to ask for a new 2013 refreshed mac because i have the mid 2012 version which i bought 3 weeks ago but im afraid i will an LG screen
chad.petree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:27 AM   #15
artschool
macrumors member

Quote:
yup... It bothers me knowing I am almost guaranteed to have issues in the distant future and they will have to take apart this $2,200 computer.
I have a defective lg screen on my Mbpr, and I know that feeling.

there is also a rumour on the other thread that apple is going to make it harder to tell which screen is installed so people can't keep exchanging them until they get a Samsung.
artschool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:33 AM   #16
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Complete nonsense.

I had an LG display with image retention, so I measured and calibrated it with a spectrometer before taking it in, and did the same to my Samsung replacement screen.

Brightness wise, the Samsung screen is exactly 1/4 of a bar brighter, hardly a noticeable difference. The LG is 120 Lumens at 11 1/4 bars and the Samsung is 120 Lumens at 11 bars. As for colour, the two screens are completely different. The Samsung is much more yellow, so when I load the LG's profile on the Samsung screen, it looks very yellow. The original Color LCD profile looks very green on both screens (most would say a properly calibrated screen looks warm/red).

The yellow of the Samsung doesn't bother me at all as I calibrate my screens, so they essentially look the same once calibrated. Unlike the yellow on my 27" iMac, the yellow on the Samsung screen is consistent over the whole screen. so it's easily correctable through calibration.

EDIT: FYI when they replace the screen, they also replace the top case and the battery. I had some dings on my case (near the speaker and on the edge where the cables plug in) and 130 cycles on the battery. All fixed with my new Samsung display. Quite happy right now!

Last edited by slicecom; Feb 17, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
slicecom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:52 AM   #17
alphaod
macrumors Core

I had a rMBP with an LG display back in August. I didn't have any issues, including no IR issues. The screen brightness looked fine and everything.

Of course 3 weeks after use, I had some issues with my computer; the Apple Store Genius said I should get an exchange instead of having the machine fixed, so that's what I did.

Now I have been using a rMBP with a Samsung display. In terms of brightness, it feels about the same, but I agree with the other users who have used both in that the color of the two displays is different. Of course with proper calibration the latter is no an issue.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:59 PM   #18
JeffiJers
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The Retina display is SUPPOSED to be noticeably dimmer than the cMBP with BOTH and LG or a Samsung screen.

Look there is absolutely no way that your screen is noticeably dimmer JUST because you have an LG screen and not a Samsung screen. Apple actually specifies how bright the screen needs to be when sending specs to the manufacturers, and they specify this in the computer's spec sheet. If they delivered anything else there would be an instant class action lawsuit.

It is much more likely that you either invented the problem for example by comparing your LG screen to your cMBP and imagining that your Samsung screen was as bright as the cMBP, or that you have a defective machine that has reduced brightness.

Again, there is absolutely no way that the two different models of screen are designed or manufactured to have a significantly different levels of brightness. And like I said I have tested this issue back to back with lab grade equipment and visual comparisons and there is no significant difference, either technical or visual.
Ok I read and understand AND Agree with points you made however you are forgetting that the LG display sitting infront of me as I type this is indeed dimmer then the samsung equipped computer I had a few days ago.

those are the facts. Anything you say is just stipulation as YOU have not physically used the two 15R computers I have. Case closed ..Period..
JeffiJers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:22 PM   #19
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Ok I read and understand AND Agree with points you made however you are forgetting that the LG display sitting infront of me as I type this is indeed dimmer then the samsung equipped computer I had a few days ago.

those are the facts. Anything you say is just stipulation as YOU have not physically used the two 15R computers I have. Case closed ..Period..
Nice attitude there dude.

For the record, on average, Samsung's are brighter, but have worse colour reproduction (even after calibration), and lower contrast levels. The LGs are dimmer, but have much better blacks and colour reproduction.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:51 PM   #20
JeffiJers
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post

For the record, on average, Samsung's are brighter, but have worse colour reproduction (even after calibration), and lower contrast levels. The LGs are dimmer, but have much better blacks and colour reproduction.

Thanks brah
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:13 PM   #21
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post

EDIT: FYI when they replace the screen, they also replace the top case and the battery. I had some dings on my case (near the speaker and on the edge where the cables plug in) and 130 cycles on the battery. All fixed with my new Samsung display. Quite happy right now!
That's cool! I didn't realize that. I had my 5 month old rMBP LG screen replaces two weeks ago. I haven't checked battery cycles yet...any idea why they're changing the battery out too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post

Any links or actual measurements that prove your theory? I've had both screens now...Sammy and LG and I completely disagree with your assessment. My Samsung monitor blacks and color are spot on and needed little fiddling to calibrate, where as the LG I spent significantly more time calibrating and was never able to get as close to the black point of my current Samsung. It's not a huge difference. But in my experience, the Samsung blacks are definitely a wee bit better...color reproduction seems almost identical. No difference at all worth concern. Samsung (post calibration) is a bit warmer...we've managed to hit 6540k.

Any links to provide a backup to your theory would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks

J
akdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:07 PM   #22
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdj View Post
That's cool! I didn't realize that. I had my 5 month old rMBP LG screen replaces two weeks ago. I haven't checked battery cycles yet...any idea why they're changing the battery out too?

Any links or actual measurements that prove your theory? I've had both screens now...Sammy and LG and I completely disagree with your assessment. My Samsung monitor blacks and color are spot on and needed little fiddling to calibrate, where as the LG I spent significantly more time calibrating and was never able to get as close to the black point of my current Samsung. It's not a huge difference. But in my experience, the Samsung blacks are definitely a wee bit better...color reproduction seems almost identical. No difference at all worth concern. Samsung (post calibration) is a bit warmer...we've managed to hit 6540k.

Any links to provide a backup to your theory would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks

J
Note the first bit - on average. Feel free to google it though - you'll find I'm not the only one that thinks that.

However if you insist I do your research for you - read through these threads for more user views.

- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1453772
- https://discussions.apple.com/message/20377423#20377423
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:16 PM   #23
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:

I don't generally regard brighter as automatically better, but Apple seems to optimize these things for higher brightness settings. Yours sounds like more of an anomaly than an issue of LG compared to Samsung. It's possible that the consistency is somewhat poor overall.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:25 AM   #24
robriggs
macrumors newbie

LG screens fixed?

This is true, that the LG screens have been fixed for their IR issues? I just received my MBPr today, with an LG screen. However, in running tests I'm not seeing any IR issues. I'm wondering if the screens have been fixed, or if its just a matter of time for me here....

Quote:
Complete nonsense.

robriggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:28 AM   #25
munstre
macrumors newbie

I have a customized 15" rMBP arriving to me tomorrow, it was ordered last week. I will update whether it is LG or samsung tomorrow.
munstre is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro