Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robo44

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Ive a new imac and i love it but when i am downloading and i need my bed i need to find a way of shutting the screen down so it goes dark but i still want my download to carry on until it finishes.
I use utorrent so the auto shutdown when download finishes works fine but just dont want the screen on all the time.
Thanks again people :)

Ps Not sure how to find my last thread but thanks to whoever answered as it answered my problem....

Great forum :)))))

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ive a new imac and i love it but when i am downloading and i need my bed i need to find a way of shutting the screen down so it goes dark but i still want my download to carry on until it finishes.
I use utorrent so the auto shutdown when download finishes works fine but just dont want the screen on all the time.
Thanks again people :)

Caffeine might help, or just using the F1 key to turn the display brightness down.

Ps Not sure how to find my last thread but thanks to whoever answered as it answered my problem....

Using MacRumors Forums - Finding your own posts and threads
+
2.5 How do I use thread and forum subscriptions?
2.2.6 How do I find my own posts?
2.2.7 How do I know if someone replies to my post?
The Rules and FAQ can be found on every MR Forums page on the top.
MR_FAQ-RULES_link.png

Great forum :)))))
Stay any longer and it will much worse. ;)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Is this in a dorm room or something?

If so, do you have a closet the iMac will fit into close enough to where it is plugged in?

If not, construct a cardboard barrier to set between the iMac and your pillow to block the light, and reduce the brightness as much as you can. Also, rotate the iMac to the position that casts the least amount of light towards you eyes.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
In system preferences "energy saver", you can set display sleep to 1 minute.
energy-saver-mac-os-x-10-6.jpg

You can also mute sounds so the only clue you will have that your Mac is awake is that the screen will wake up when you move your mouse or the fans will run if the cpu load goes up.

I have my MBP running ML set to sleep at night but you can disable that in energy saver as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.