Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Hi guys, I'm sure this has been brought up all over the place but I was just having a browse and looking at the new iPod touch and I cannot get my head around the price.

My nexus 7 which is bigger and more powerful (but too big to use as an MP3 player!) cost £100 less.. How does this make sense?

Can any of you justify the price or have a reason why its worth that much?

Its a bit more than an MP3 player! When you spend your £250/£330 you essentially get yourself an iPhone without the contract. Free wifi pretty easy to come by in the UK and once you have that, use Skype or another app and it does everything an iPhone does. Plus the camera is great.

Worth every penny for me. (64GB version; though I did get it for £240 off eBay..)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The Android tablets that are done by both Amazon and Google are done so at a profit loss. They are hoping that you will buy apps and content that will make up in the loss. In the case of myself, Amazon made a $1,000+ profit off me. :eek:

The iPods are also not made of general parts. There are easily a couple of tablets that use the same chips as the Nexus 7. Even the S2 Skyrocket I have is the same exact thing, except labeled as simply the S2 with a different wireless chip for T-Mobile. There are tons of tablets with the original Kindle Fire TI chip too. Nothing shares the insides of the iPod Touch, except the camera, and some other small pieces. So they have to be made on a per demand basis.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The Android tablets that are done by both Amazon and Google are done so at a profit loss. They are hoping that you will buy apps and content that will make up in the loss. In the case of myself, Amazon made a $1,000+ profit off me. :eek:

The iPods are also not made of general parts. There are easily a couple of tablets that use the same chips as the Nexus 7. Even the S2 Skyrocket I have is the same exact thing, except labeled as simply the S2 with a different wireless chip for T-Mobile. There are tons of tablets with the original Kindle Fire TI chip too. Nothing shares the insides of the iPod Touch, except the camera, and some other small pieces. So they have to be made on a per demand basis.
Except the iPad 2, iphone 4s,iPad mini, and ATV3. Sorry but I don't know how anyone with a reasonable understanding about iOS devices can claim nothing uses the insides of the touch but the camera. And the s2 skyrocket being the same as the nexus 7 internally? I don't mean to be rude. Perhaps you could clarify?

----------

As for me justifying the price of the 5 gen touch, its been the same price for 32 and 64gb options since the 3rd gen iPod so I'm not sure why suddenly its a big deal. I wanted a new iOS device with 32gb of storage for music, movies, games and use as a PDA and the touch fit the bill.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Except the iPad 2, iphone 4s,iPad mini, and ATV3. Sorry but I don't know how anyone with a reasonable understanding about iOS devices can claim nothing uses the insides of the touch but the camera. And the s2 skyrocket being the same as the nexus 7 internally? I don't mean to be rude. Perhaps you could clarify?

What I mean is that the iPad 4 is the only device with that A6X chip. iPod Touch and iPad Mini are the only devices in current production that have A5 dual-core 32 nm (iPhone 4S has 45 nm, and Apple TV is single core). It's custom designed by Apple, and is only found in Apple products, and only for a small time frame.

The Nexus 7 shares the same Tegra chip with at least eight devices, including the Microsoft Surface. Samsung also does the screens for the Nokia Windows Phones, some HTC Android devices, and others. Low end devices are made from scraps from the last two years, and the only real difference is that they have different casing, names, and brands.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The Nexus7 is sold at cost in order to be competitive in the market (Google makes their money via software and advertising, anyway) - Apple has a fat profit margin on all of their hardware products, which is why the iPod Touch costs so much.

----------

Its a bit more than an MP3 player! When you spend your £250/£330 you essentially get yourself an iPhone without the contract. Free wifi pretty easy to come by in the UK and once you have that, use Skype or another app and it does everything an iPhone does. Plus the camera is great.

Worth every penny for me. (64GB version; though I did get it for £240 off eBay..)

You could do the same on the Nexus7, though... If Google ever decide to bring out a Nexus4 or something, and sell it at cost, it'd be an iPod Touch killer :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.