Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Voxone

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm running out of storage space on my iPad and when I went to iTunes to take a look at usage I find the biggest hog is "other." What the hell is other and how do I get rid of at least a little of it. I have a feeling its leftovers from iOS updates and the like. Anybody else had to deal with this? Thanks....

Michael B,

Oh, by the way, I did a search for this topic and didn't find anything so if this is a repeat....sorry.

Voxone

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
The Other......

Its quite a bit, and if its just the iOS it should be labeled as such. LOL

Attachments

• iPad Other.jpg
    iPad Other.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 183

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
it's also extra storage from apps, e.g. if you have a lot of Dropbox favourits, editing movies (not finished) PDF etc. that your apps can request extra space for.
So think about your apps, which one might be holding a lot of data (User generated)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm running out of storage space on my iPad and when I went to iTunes to take a look at usage I find the biggest hog is "other." What the hell is other and how do I get rid of at least a little of it. I have a feeling its leftovers from iOS updates and the like. Anybody else had to deal with this? Thanks....

Other is everything that isn't a called out category. So the meter shows music, videos, photos, books, apps.

Other is the rest. So app data, emails, contacts, calendars, messages, bookmarks, cache files etc. If you haven't powered off your iPad in a while yes it could include some trash from deleted files. But generally app and iOS updates are purged away. iOS updates in particular are why the long reboot during install. It's loading the new stuff, killing the old and dumping the trash.

About once a month I verify my iCloud backup is current and do an erase all off the reset settings and restore the backup to clean things up (iPad version of an archive and install). Seems to help a lot some months, others its more a case if it didn't hurt anything but nothing was really acting up to be improved

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.