Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Voxone
macrumors member

Getting rid of "other"

I'm running out of storage space on my iPad and when I went to iTunes to take a look at usage I find the biggest hog is "other." What the hell is other and how do I get rid of at least a little of it. I have a feeling its leftovers from iOS updates and the like. Anybody else had to deal with this? Thanks....

Michael B,

Oh, by the way, I did a search for this topic and didn't find anything so if this is a repeat....sorry.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Brettka7
macrumors regular

It's the entire OS.

Aggression, in its most elegant form.
Brettka7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:22 AM   #3
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Exactly how much "other" is there? Could you post a screenshot, perhaps?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:32 AM   #4
Voxone
macrumors member

The Other......

Its quite a bit, and if its just the iOS it should be labeled as such. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad Other.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	397414  
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:23 AM   #5
dan1eln1el5en
macrumors 6502

it's also extra storage from apps, e.g. if you have a lot of Dropbox favourits, editing movies (not finished) PDF etc. that your apps can request extra space for.
So think about your apps, which one might be holding a lot of data (User generated)
dan1eln1el5en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:30 AM   #6
macking104
macrumors 6502

Here's the Apple Thread on this... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2562027

Do as the others said about checking Apps for stored files... drawing Apps, photos in MMS?...

Some say... Turn iPad completely off and cable connect it to your computer and do an iTunes Sync (it wll self-start up)
macking104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:29 AM   #7
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxone View Post
I'm running out of storage space on my iPad and when I went to iTunes to take a look at usage I find the biggest hog is "other." What the hell is other and how do I get rid of at least a little of it. I have a feeling its leftovers from iOS updates and the like. Anybody else had to deal with this? Thanks....

Other is everything that isn't a called out category. So the meter shows music, videos, photos, books, apps.

Other is the rest. So app data, emails, contacts, calendars, messages, bookmarks, cache files etc. If you haven't powered off your iPad in a while yes it could include some trash from deleted files. But generally app and iOS updates are purged away. iOS updates in particular are why the long reboot during install. It's loading the new stuff, killing the old and dumping the trash.

About once a month I verify my iCloud backup is current and do an erase all off the reset settings and restore the backup to clean things up (iPad version of an archive and install). Seems to help a lot some months, others its more a case if it didn't hurt anything but nothing was really acting up to be improved
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad