Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
It's hard to tell by just eyeballing it or comparing it to other phones, of which many are way too blue anyway. If you compare it to a laptop or desktop computer screen you might even find that those are warmer still. One thing you can try is take pictures and see how they look compared to the real thing.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Of all the iPhone 5's I have had in my hand (12-13) ALL Black Variants have warmer screen and ALL white ones had neutral (better IMO) tones ...

Spidder

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
I have a yellow/greenish screen tint too, but there is a 3-step workaround:

1. Jailbreak
2. Download 'Color Profiles'
3. Manually adjust Color Temperature, Gamma und White Levels until you're satisfied. It will take a while, but it pays!

I have a georgous screen now, with perfect whites and amazing colors. You can tell the difference by a mile and you won't get such a screen out of the box, no matter how often you exchange!

PS: There are no yellowish 'defective' screens. Every single screen has a more or less different screen tone. You can get rid of the yellowish/greenish tone by adjusting the second slider (RGB -> 1. Red, 2. Green, 3. Blue) at Gamma and White levels in Color Profiles.

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
While must of us are used to the blueish tint from the Iphone 4 & 4S the Iphone 5 has more of a yellowish tint. Takes some getting used to but it looks fine.
In any case, when I first got my Iphone5 I went to three different Apple stores and compared the color to those they have. They all have the same yellowish tint.
there has been several threads on this before.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I've seen plenty of white iphone 5s with warm/yellow screens. Luck of the draw. Nothing to do with the exterior color of the phone.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
My thought is that if you have a bad screen worth exchanging, you will notice it and it will bother you without having to compare it to another device. I had to return several iPad 3's to get one without uneven screen or dingy tint. But I could see the tinting when I first took them out of the box and powered up. But the screens definitely come with some variety as to tint, maximum brightness, etc. You could drive yourself (and Apple) crazy looking for the ultimate perfect screen. QC should be better and more consistent but it's not. It's a huge company with lots of production partners and parts suppliers.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
While must of us are used to the blueish tint from the Iphone 4 & 4S the Iphone 5 has more of a yellowish tint. Takes some getting used to but it looks fine.
In any case, when I first got my Iphone5 I went to three different Apple stores and compared the color to those they have. They all have the same yellowish tint.
there has been several threads on this before.

Mines a blue tint. Other fam has warm.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Not sure why we have to have one of these threads every few weeks when someone upgrades their device. It's well known different screens manufactured at different times even on the same line will look different. Not thread worthy anymore for sure.

sphumi

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Not sure why we have to have one of these threads every few weeks when someone upgrades their device. It's well known different screens manufactured at different times even on the same line will look different. Not thread worthy anymore for sure.

at least help him out... is it a defect or not? is there a fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.