Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volvik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Every laptop keyboard I've seen or owned since about '08 has the bilingual keyboard (French/English). I have nothing against the French language however if given the choice I'd rather have just the English keyboard.

I read a review (June 2012) that mentioned that the 2012 13" Air didn't have the bilingual keyboard.

Can someone in Canada confirm that when ordering an Air and you select English that ends up with an English only keyboard??

Thanks in advance.. (at this point I'm looking at the 11")

Ghoumard

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
You always have the choice. If you choose the english keyboard, I confirm it's going to be exactly like the one pictured in the link above. Otherwise you'd have a different Return key with Ç / È / À / É keys around it.

You can also tell by the SKU. If it ends with "LL/A" it's an English keyboard, french ends with "CA/A" or starts with "Z0".

EDIT: Using the french canadian bilingual keyboard myself, I had never noticed how the english keyboard had almost no icon and simply has words like "shift", "caps lock", "tab", "delete" and "return" written on keys. Here's a bilingual keyboard for comparison:

dsc2745.jpg

Maybe it's because I'm used to it but I think it looks better with icons instead of words.

Last edited:

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
You always have the choice. If you choose the english keyboard, I confirm it's going to be exactly like the one pictured in the link above. Otherwise you'd have a different Return key with Ç / È / À / É keys around it.

You can also tell by the SKU. If it ends with "LL/A" it's an English keyboard, french ends with "CA/A" or starts with "Z0".

EDIT: Using the french canadian bilingual keyboard myself, I had never noticed how the english keyboard had almost no icon and simply has words like "shift", "caps lock", "tab", "delete" and "return" written on keys. Here's a bilingual keyboard for comparison:

Maybe it's because I'm used to it but I think it looks better with icons instead of words.

That's interesting. It seems like there are separate, dedicated keys for some accented vowels.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
That's interesting. It seems like there are separate, dedicated keys for some accented vowels.

Yes, it's way faster than having to hit two keys to write a single character. You still have to use the key on the left of Ç (the one with ¨/^/`) to achieve some less common accented characters though (ê,â,î,ë,ï).

The thing I like less about a french keyboard is that some characters used a lot in programming are harder to type. For example you have to hit Option+some key to get [],{} and <> characters, which is kind of annoying.

volvik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Macs must be the only keyboard that offers either language. Since 2008 I thought all keyboard had bilingual key function.

CyrusKafaiWu

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
Keyboards in Canada

English Only:
- purchasable in every province other than Québec.

Canadian multi standard keyboard:
- only can be bought online (apple.com) or in a store in Québec (not sure with New Brunswick)
- accent keys. just like the post above. (i have it on my air)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.