Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong place but with iTunes being an app i thought id start here.

My problem is this.... I have my itunes folder stored on an external drive which is connected to my mac mini. I also have a 2102 MBA which has 128SSD. i have back to mac switched on both so i am able to share folders between both devices. Everything works fine until i have itunes open on the MM and try to open it on the MBA. For some reason i have to close itunes on the MM before i can open it on the MBA. This only really causes a problem if i am listening to music on the MM and my daughter wants to listen at the same time on the MBA.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this??

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Sharing

Are you sharing your entire music folder or just the music itself?

Only one computer at a time can access the iTunes library file (same thing happens when multiple users try to use a shared iTunes library on the same computer).

I believe what you need to do is make sure you each have your own iTunes folder, and only share the music files themselves.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Are you sharing your entire music folder or just the music itself?

Only one computer at a time can access the iTunes library file (same thing happens when multiple users try to use a shared iTunes library on the same computer).

I believe what you need to do is make sure you each have your own iTunes folder, and only share the music files themselves.

Problem solved.

Duplicated iTunes folder and pointed MM to one and MBA to the other = one happy daughter :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.