Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasmokia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Hi guys,

Thanks for reading my post! I am inexperienced here and I found out my hard drive is failing (through disk utility).

I want to upgrade to an SSD but I do not know how to go about finding the right one (SATA II/III...brand....speed...reliability)

I have a Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13in ... if that helps.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks for reading this!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
An early 2011 MBP has a SATA II connecttion. Hence, it'll be limited to 300MB/s max write/read. So, it doesn't matter which interface the SSD has, it will limited to that. That out of the way, consider the Samsung 830 series.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If you want to repair your HDD and have an IBM PC, see Spinrite below.

If you want to upgrade to an SSD, consider the Samsung 830 or Samsung 840. Also, iFixit.com has great tutorials, photos and videos on everything you need to do the upgrade. Plus they also sell the necessary tools to do it with.

You can also get MacTracker for free which will tell you all the specifics about yours and all Mac's.

Spinrite

I use a PC DOS-based program called Spinrite as a maintenance utility and data recovery utility on all my HDD's. You have to have an IBM-PC in order to use it though. You take the HDD out of the Mac and connect it to the IBM-PC and run the program. Below is my old MBP HDD in a Dell PC with Spinrite working on it.

Independent review of Spinrite (not me)

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

kasmokia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I am slightly confused... Both of you guys recommended the Samsung SSD's but they are both SATA III??

Jav said only SATA II would work in my computer?

Can you clarify? or help me understand?

Thanks!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The SATA III SSD will work in your computer, it will just run at the speed of your system bus, though it's capable of more.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I am slightly confused... Both of you guys recommended the Samsung SSD's but they are both SATA III??

Jav said only SATA II would work in my computer?

Can you clarify? or help me understand?

Thanks!

No. You got it wrong. Well I also explained it bad.

Anyways, SATA III works on a SATA II connection. The only issue is that the SATA III device will run at SATA II speeds. That's it.

In other words, your SSD (which is capable of speeds greater than 300MB/s) will work at 300MB/s maximum due to the SATA II bottleneck.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
An early 2011 MBP has a SATA II connecttion. Hence, it'll be limited to 300MB/s max write/read. So, it doesn't matter which interface the SSD has, it will limited to that. That out of the way, consider the Samsung 830 series.

All of the 13-, 15-, and 17-inch early 2011 MacBook Pros shipped with SATA 3.0 6Gb/s connectivity in the main drive bay and SATA 2.0 3Gb/s connectivity in the optical bay.

As you are replacing the HDD you will get SATA III speeds.

It's a simple upgrade. Use this link as a guide and take your time. http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody_early11_hd/

----------

can you tell me if this is a good deal/ will work on my computer?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148443

thank you in advance!!

It will work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.