Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Martylaa
macrumors member

iPad Mini movies from hard drive

Can you watch movies from potable hard drive on the mini?
Martylaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2
MFL2012
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
The Kingston Wi Drive works well, but is limited in size(64 GB max I think). Still, with Handbrake, you're looking at 30 or so movies.
MFL2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Wireless:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wirele...+wireless+plus

Wired:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wirele...+wireless+plus
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Jman13
macrumors 65816

I use an Airstash, which I like for a few reasons:

1) It's about the size of a pack of gum, so quite tiny (it's like a large USB stick)....smaller than the HD equivalents.

2) I can pop whatever SD cards I want in it. I have a 32 GB in there now, so I can put a bunch of movies on it, and serve to my iPad + other devices at the same time.

If I need more storage, I can buy extra SD cards. If you were carrying 50 moves or so, it would make more sense to get one of the streaming HD solutions, but for 5-10 movies, this works great, and spare SD cards are cheap. Works great.

Only downside is that it's not that cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-AirStas...words=airstash
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Martylaa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post

1) It's about the size of a pack of gum, so quite tiny (it's like a large USB stick)....smaller than the HD equivalents.

2) I can pop whatever SD cards I want in it. I have a 32 GB in there now, so I can put a bunch of movies on it, and serve to my iPad + other devices at the same time.

If I need more storage, I can buy extra SD cards. If you were carrying 50 moves or so, it would make more sense to get one of the streaming HD solutions, but for 5-10 movies, this works great, and spare SD cards are cheap. Works great.

Only downside is that it's not that cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-AirStas...words=airstash
Des it only work in a wifi enabled area?
Or could I use one at work without wifi?
Martylaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Yes you can.

Before anyone tries to contradict me, quod erat demonstrandum:

Here's what you need:

Jailbroken iPad mini
Lightning to USB camera adapter
FAT32-formatted external hard drive (No NTFS or exFAT)
External power source. This can be a hard drive with its own power source, a powered USB hub, or what I'm using: an external USB cattery pack with a dual-input cable; one going to the Lightning adapter, the other to the battery pack
iFile (app, available from Cydia)

Honestly though, the USB adapter + unpowered USB hub + a few flash drives is a much more portable solution
Cptnodegard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Fattytail
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post

I have the Airstash as well and it works quite well. It also obviates the need for a camera connection kit since it can import/export photos off SD cards. Pretty nifty.
Fattytail is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad