Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:01 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple cuts the TV out of TV programming

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple cuts the TV out of TV programming

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:57 PM   #2
nagromme
macrumors G4

A good step--but larger pixel size will be another important step! Right now it all seems to be 320x240, which is fine for iPod but not great for other uses.

Something makes me think it's the content owners demanding limited quality, but cutting the bandwidth in 1/4 (compared to 640x480) could also be the reason.

Looking forward, a more complete home theater vision would call for a Bluetooth remote I think, not one that needs a line of sight.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:35 PM   #3
JordanNZ
macrumors 6502

320x240 is the same as VCD, and that looks fine on a normal tv, and considering you can use h264, there will be less compression artifacts.

So for what it is, it's fine.
JordanNZ is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:37 PM   #4
maya
macrumors 68040

Its a beta test and nothing more.

If it does well it will fly if not it as a lesson learnt with the minimal pain.

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:59 PM   #5
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
Don't skip this subtle whopper: video at $1.99 a piece. Is the record industry watching? A half hour TV program @ $1.99 kind of throws a ceiling at the record industry's plan to pressure up music singles pricing.

"Only a fool looks at a hand pointing to the sky"
macnulty is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:45 AM   #6
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnulty
Don't skip this subtle whopper: video at $1.99 a piece. Is the record industry watching? A half hour TV program @ $1.99 kind of throws a ceiling at the record industry's plan to pressure up music singles pricing.
Lost and DH (don't know about the others) are full hours (actually around 44 minutes after removing ads) which makes it an even better deal
Nermal is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2005, 01:02 AM   #7
JDOG_
macrumors 6502a

I also love how all these people are b1tching about the price of older seasons, but like CDs if you get them by "Season" instead of a la carte it's $34.99 compared to the $50+ Nice work...

Still not going to pay $1.99 for less than 640x480...even my several year old digital camera gets better video than 320x240.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 01:13 AM   #8
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
Looking forward, a more complete home theater vision would call for a Bluetooth remote I think, not one that needs a line of sight.
I watched the video of event, and Steve was pretty animated when he was using the thing, so it appeared that it was more flexible than strict 'line of sight'. I think that the part of the user interfacing with the remote demands that you look at the screen for feedback, hence the simplification to 6 buttons, so really 'line of sight' is needed by the user...unless you so become used to the interface that you know to click, click & click to play a dvd, or select your first playlist.
24C is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2005, 01:20 AM   #9
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOG_
Still not going to pay $1.99 for less than 640x480...even my several year old digital camera gets better video than 320x240.
That's you, but I don't really see with a 320 x 240 iPod screen how they could have done anything else. This is just a toe in the water, and any bigger bandwidth would be more of an issue, besides they are TV shows.

Who's to say 640 x 480 or a higher standard isn't coming in at say $2.99 a pop in the future.
24C is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:46 AM   #10
2GMario
macrumors regular

hows the saying go ? dont look a gifted horse in the mouth ?

i watched a few of the episodes last night in preview form of Lost, the free 30 seconds they give you, and i thought it looked fine

resized, full screen and it looked better than from TV, or vhs which we recorded a few to on nights we missed it

today, il be buying last nights show for the very cheap 1.99, dumping it to my laptop and connecting it to my 42 inch hitachi HD and il be very pleased

the simple fact that this is a: not requiring me to buy new hardware unless i want it (video iPod), b: no commercials, which if u just watched season 1, episode after episode on dvd, is a nightmare and c: when i have the time to do so, which isnt at its air'd time

as said above, this is a beta test. even on cable - 15 - 20 minutes to download 1 episode isnt blazing fast. things will improve - steve said himself, this is a first step

the question is, are the videos in the store H.264 and is it true about rescaling without pixelating ?

-Mario
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:43 AM   #11
Bakey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanNZ
320x240 is the same as VCD, and that looks fine on a normal tv, and considering you can use h264, there will be less compression artifacts.

So for what it is, it's fine.
Sorry to be picky, but Video CD NTSC is 352x240 and Video CD PAL is 352x288 - obviously each adheres to their respective FPS [29.97 & 25].

Uber geeky I know!!
Bakey is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2005, 09:11 AM   #12
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24C
...you look at the screen for feedback, hence the simplification to 6 buttons, so really 'line of sight' is needed by the user...
But if you run video to other devices like your TV (even in another room, but certainly in a different direction) then you'll be looking at the TV, not the Mac. But still having to aim the remote at the Mac. So ultimately Bluetooth (or RF) would be a more complete solution.

But I understand Apple not jumping in all the way--and maybe integration with other IR devices is coming. Many times I have posted wishing for an Apple remote control for my existing equipment I'm not sure 6 buttons would do it, but I'd be happy if Apple has a way! Maybe via a tiny cheap box that does nothing but overlay menus on your TV screen, allowing those 6 buttons to do all that a universal remote does.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:23 AM   #13
24C
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
But if you run video to other devices like your TV (even in another room, but certainly in a different direction) then you'll be looking at the TV, not the Mac. But still having to aim the remote at the Mac. So ultimately Bluetooth (or RF) would be a more complete solution.
...snip..
OK, I missed your point about controlling TV. Mine was that the remote is designed to interact with the user and a computer screen, and this offers simpler and potentially more options that you would normally find on more buttoned remotes. Essentially all you have to do is add the other remote capabilities to the 'Front Row' package..say TV or Audio. To control these other devices you'd get a repeater (transmitter/receiver) that fired back at the TV or whatever, and now the iMac becomes a huge programmable remote, which allows you to switch whatever you want on.
Obviously you could take an iPod like device (screen option & simple interface, Nano sized) add universal remote software and a transmitter, scatter some repeaters around the house and control what you like. Lights,TV whatever...now I would like one of those
24C is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2005, 03:25 PM   #14
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakey
Sorry to be picky, but Video CD NTSC is 352x240 and Video CD PAL is 352x288 - obviously each adheres to their respective FPS [29.97 & 25].

Uber geeky I know!!
I managed to restrain myself from saying that
Nermal is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2005, 04:02 PM   #15
Brother Michael
macrumors 6502a

Statement retracted...because I am an idiot.

Last edited by Brother Michael; Oct 13, 2005 at 04:04 PM.
Brother Michael is offline   0
Old Oct 13, 2005, 09:53 PM   #16
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
Lost and DH (don't know about the others) are full hours (actually around 44 minutes after removing ads) which makes it an even better deal
I don't watch that stuff, I didn't know. I am humbled.

"Only a fool looks at a hand pointing to the sky"
macnulty is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion