Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

No1iSaHero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I bought the base 2012 Mac Mini last week and I need to use parallels for Sony Vegas and capture software via Xbox/PS3. It keeps lagging constantly. I am looking to return the Mac Mini and upgrade to a different desktop option. I currently have a rMBP and it runs parallels with no lag. But I would like to run it on the big screen without thunderbolt displays. Would a the base iMac 27 be able to handle this with no lag? Or should I look for other options?

P.S I understand I can put the rMBP on my display via hdmi, but I am looking to use the iMac with my other displays I already have.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I bought the base 2012 Mac Mini last week and I need to use parallels for Sony Vegas and capture software via Xbox/PS3. It keeps lagging constantly.

How much RAM is in the Mini and how much is in your MBP? 8GB is inexpensive, and will really help when running a virtual machine.
You could also just use Bootcamp for maximum Windows performance.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The base with just 4gb is not enough for VM to run smoothly. RAM is cheap, going to 16gb is ~$80 and makes a HUGE difference. The other issue you may be running into is that the Mac mini only has integrated graphics where are slow natively depending on what you do and even slower virtualized. For what I do, mainly virtualize linux environments, it is perfectly fine.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Where is your film footage stored? If it's all stored on the same 5400rpm HDD as your apps and OS, then that'll be the bottleneck right there.

Try a USB3 external and see how it goes. (Plus more ram.)

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Try Final Cut Pro X instead of Sony Vegas, get an elgato game capture HD that works on OS X and dump Parallels. And throw 16GB Kingston HyperX Plug'n'Play RAM into the mix.
I agree with not trying to use Sony Vegas, but don't bother with spending an extra 50% on "faster" RAM vs. the $80-$85 options.
EDIT: OP, have you tried using iMovie, that even may be adequate for your needs rather than spending the money on Final Cut Pro. Premiere Elements is another option that's far cheaper than FCP and may work fine for your needs.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I agree with not trying to use Sony Vegas, but don't bother with spending an extra 50% on "faster" RAM vs. the $80-$85 options.
EDIT: OP, have you tried using iMovie, that even may be adequate for your needs rather than spending the money on Final Cut Pro. Premiere Elements is another option that's far cheaper than FCP and may work fine for your needs.

16GB Crucial are $99.96 incl. shipping, the HyperX are $126.74. That's merely $26.78.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
16GB Crucial are $99.96 incl. shipping, the HyperX are $126.74. That's merely $26.78.

Well if we are talking about "slower" RAM, even this 1600mhz RAM is reported to work in Mac's and is only $73

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313301

So at this point now we are at chrfr $50 difference....

Or here is GSkill which is a brand I have personally used in Macs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231580

and now we are at $46.

Or here is Crucial just to make an apples to apples comparison:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148614

That's a $40 difference than hyperx which is pretty much 50% more.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Last edited:

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Your Mini should be able to easily handle Parallels without a faster CPU or SSD. If you are using the stock 4GB RAM then that is probably the source of your problem.

Mountain Lion requires 4GB RAM for just the basics; it is not enough RAM to run OS X, a Windows virtual PC and software. You need at least 8GB but 16GB would be even better. With 16GB RAM you can provide the two operating systems and your programs enough memory to run properly. Just keep in mind that even 16GB RAM won't be enough if you insist on simultaneously running so many programs that you run out of available memory. Use the Activity Monitor to see how much memory your OS and software is actually using and pay attention to how much RAM the manufacturers state is the recommended minimum for their programs.

I set-up a client's 2010 Mini/Snow Leopard to run Windows 7 using VMWare Fusion. With 8GB RAM (the max allowed) she was able to use very demanding programs on the Windows side for quite some time. It only began to slow down when she updated programs and the RAM requirements were higher.

If you get an iMac and try to do the same thing with 4GB RAM you will obtain the same results.

Don't throw money at the problem: an i7 CPU, SSD or an iMac is not the fix you are looking for. Simply upgrade the Mini's RAM and allocate enough RAM to Parallels for it to run properly. With 16GB RAM the Mini should serve you well until software upgrades require more RAM than the Mini can accept. But by the time that happens you will be ready to upgrade the Mini anyway.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I bought the base 2012 Mac Mini last week and I need to use parallels for Sony Vegas and capture software via Xbox/PS3. It keeps lagging constantly. I am looking to return the Mac Mini and upgrade to a different desktop option. I currently have a rMBP and it runs parallels with no lag. But I would like to run it on the big screen without thunderbolt displays. Would a the base iMac 27 be able to handle this with no lag? Or should I look for other options?

P.S I understand I can put the rMBP on my display via hdmi, but I am looking to use the iMac with my other displays I already have.

I have 3 2012 Mac Minis (two low-end and one high-end). All 3 are maxed out to 16GB RAM and all run Parallels beautifully.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I bought the base 2012 Mac Mini last week and I need to use parallels for Sony Vegas and capture software via Xbox/PS3. It keeps lagging constantly.

Not sure which Vegas software you're running, but you definitely need RAM. From Sony Vegas Pro 12 system requirements:

• Microsoft® Windows Vista® 64-bit SP2, Windows 7 64-bit, or Windows® 8 64-bit operating system
  • 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
  • 500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
  • 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended)

That's the ram that the VM requires - you'll need additional RAM on top of that for Mac OS X. I would not even attempt Vegas in a VM without 16GB RAM.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Not sure which Vegas software you're running, but you definitely need RAM. From Sony Vegas Pro 12 system requirements:

• Microsoft® Windows Vista® 64-bit SP2, Windows 7 64-bit, or Windows® 8 64-bit operating system
  • 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
  • 500 MB hard-disk space for program installation
  • 4 GB RAM (8 GB recommended)

That's the ram that the VM requires - you'll need additional RAM on top of that for Mac OS X. I would not even attempt Vegas in a VM without 16GB RAM.

For the relatively minor cost of a 16GB upgrade you get very good bang for your buck.

manual123

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2006
Omaha NE
I agree witho who ever said that you should try iMovie or FCP. Depending on your needs, iMovie mmight actually be more than enough and thus you'll have zero need for parallels..

Now i have a 2011 i5 Mini that runs both bootcamp and parallels for astrophotogragy image stacking and iMovie editing (8GB installed) and it runs great.

If you can go without the sony software, and use iMovie for free..then do it. Your performance will be better anyways.

Edde1

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Hello. I use parallels without problems on my 2012 I7. I Can use mac OS, Windows 7 and Windows XP at same time. I have 16gb of RAM

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i say the hell with windows apps. lets make an effort to force these companies to make their apps for mac. As long as they know these people will just use boot camp or parallels then they have no incentive to cater to mac users.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
i say the hell with windows apps. lets make an effort to force these companies to make their apps for mac. As long as they know these people will just use boot camp or parallels then they have no incentive to cater to mac users.

The apps generally suck in the first instance, we don't need more sucky Mac apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.