Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:43 PM   #1
baryon
macrumors 68030

Wacom shaky cursor problem

My Wacom Bamboo Fun (Small) has been working amazingly for 6 years now, but a few weeks ago the cursor started shaking erratically. Now I know that this can be caused by interference (magnets, strong magnetic fields from CRT monitors, etc…) and I have had this happen when I used a CRT once, and also when I touched the pen and a flatbed scanner at the same time (the scanner has a high voltage lamp inside, similar to CRTs).

Anyway, the problem is solved when I unplug my external USB hard drive from my MacBook Pro, which probably means that the hard drive is interfering with the tablet. But how come this was never a problem for the past years, when I used the hard drive and the tablet together without any problems? They are also quite far from each other, about 1 meter, as they have always been.

The problem starts happening even if the metal part of the USB socket touches the metal part of the hard drive's USB cable, even before the entire cable is properly plugged in (so even before the hard drive wakes up and powers on). There seems to be a rogue signal coming through the hard drive's "ground" wire.

Would a shielded USB cable help? What can suddenly cause this, even though my setup has never changed?

Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics