Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Call your carrier about your data cap. And data is data. You don't use less of it on 4G vs LTE. You only download it faster on LTE.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
LTE can use more data with some audio/video apps. Some apps detect a higher speed connection and, by default, stream in higher quality.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I switched to tmobile myself today and I'm on the unlimited $70/mo. Plan. Based on what they told me this plan I got should have no data caps.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Not sure about 4G, since carriers use that term very loosely. But AT&T says that if you have an unlimited plan, they won't throttle you on LTE until you hit 5GB. Everything else is 3GB.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I have read the same thing on other forums. Correct if you are grandfathered on an unlimited data plan, big blue will throttle you 'til 5GB.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Not sure about 4G, since carriers use that term very loosely. But AT&T says that if you have an unlimited plan, they won't throttle you on LTE until you hit 5GB. Everything else is 3GB.

This is correct. The 3GB cap applies to 4G HSPA+, while the 5GB cap applies to 4G LTE. I imagine that the cap is set by your plan, not the actual towers you connect to through the month, so an iPhone 5 LTE plan would have the larger cap.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
This is correct. The 3GB cap applies to 4G HSPA+, while the 5GB cap applies to 4G LTE. I imagine that the cap is set by your plan, not the actual towers you connect to through the month, so an iPhone 5 LTE plan would have the larger cap.

All right so I could turn off LTE on my iPhone 5 on AT&T then use 4G and a fresh 3 GB?

----------

So could I turn off LTE at 5GB on my iPhone 5 AT&T and use 4G and have a fresh 3 GB?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
All right so I could turn off LTE on my iPhone 5 on AT&T then use 4G and a fresh 3 GB?

The data cap is based on what plan you have. If you have an LTE data plan as indicated on your account and bill:
mr_att4glte01-021913.jpg

…then you have a 5GB data cap before throttling. Otherwise you have a 3GB data cap before throttling.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No, as the LTE toggle on your iPhone has no impact on the data plan you have in AT&T's system.

This is what I would assume. If they have you in their computer as "LTE unlimited data" it does not matter if your phone is pulling from LTE, HPSA, or 3G you are capped(throttled) at 5gb

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
so what. i can afford it.

A lot of people CAN afford it doesn't mean it's a good deal, since you're basically paying for unlimited data through your no subsidy price

----------

The data cap is based on what plan you have. If you have an LTE data plan as indicated on your account and bill:
View attachment 397899

…then you have a 5GB data cap before throttling. Otherwise you have a 3GB data cap before throttling.

Man you have the macdaddy of plans. International data??? Unlimited???

Nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.