Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:56 PM   #1
roadkill2105
macrumors newbie

Note taking and task management program for students

Hello,

Im a university student and I have been searching, for quite some time now, for a program for my Macbook Pro that will do the following to assist with uni:

- Write essays (ability to footnote)
- Takes notes (word processor required)
- Can create different notebooks for different subjects
- Can create sections within notebooks for different lectures
- Search notes
- Import pictures (scanned in class hand outs and PDF files)
- Task management for keeping track of deadlines and work to be completed each week
- Possibly a calendar so I can schedule my work with the other things in my life

I have looked at programs such as Evernote but I don't want to sign up for their premium membership as I do not require my work to sync to my other apple devices.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Thank You
roadkill2105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Evernote sounds perfect - just use local notebooks and you don't need Evernote premium.

Then just use the Calendar app for appointments and Pages/Word for real word processing.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:15 PM   #3
roadkill2105
macrumors newbie

Hi bogatyr,

How do i switch my notebooks over so they're local?

Thank you
roadkill2105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
NMF
macrumors 6502a

The best task management/assignment app is iStudiez Pro. There are also apps for the iPhone and iPad and everything syncs wirelessly. It also includes data from your "non-school" calendar (iCal or w/e you use) and lists that stuff along with your classes and due dates. I prefer to keep my life calendar and my school calendar separate. iStudiez Pro let's me see everything all together and keep the separate Google Calendar for non-school tasks. It's excellent.

For not taking, it sounds like Evernote is a good fit for you. I prefer to use AudioNote as it uses the MacBook's microphone to record audio of the lecture and timestamps each line of text. When I'm studying I can click the timestamp next to something I wrote in class and the audio will zip to whatever the professor was saying when I typed it. It's awesome. The downside is that it's not a "notebook" per se; you have to manually manage every file the old fashioned way. It's worth it in my opinion though. You can also export the audio files as MP3's for listening on a mobile device.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:57 PM   #5
exegete77
macrumors 6502a

You might find Scrivener an ideal software. I use it for editing a magazine, so the categories you need can accommodate several levels. The export to .rtf is excellent. Best software for writing and taking notes, and you can import any file needed. I also use it to write in four blogs, keep all in one project, with years, months, and articles. Superb tool and very versatile.

Or you might find Notebook by Circus Ponies to meet your needs. Has more than just note taking capability.

I have both, but I use Scrivener 98% of the time for this type of work. And if necessary you can use Dropbox to synch among multiple machines if that is critical.
The missing missing and challenges of a loved one missing
exegete77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store