Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:29 AM   #1
damojag
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ballina, Ireland
Send a message via MSN to damojag Send a message via Skype™ to damojag
Should I Buy the Current MacBook Pro

I'm looking to upgrade my MacBook Pro mid-2009, I need an i7. Right now Apple are offering the MacBook Pro 15" that I need but MacRumors tell me to wait as an update is imminent. Here are my thoughts:

1. I want to be able to upgrade RAM and HDD whenever I want.
2. The current MBRetina have fused RAM and SSD making upgrades impossible.

If I wait as MR want me to, is there a possibility of Apple following the soldering-to-mainboard trend or will they always offer a MBP that is upgradable by the end-user?
damojag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:37 AM   #2
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by damojag View Post
1. I want to be able to upgrade RAM and HDD whenever I want.
Non retina has upgradeable ram and storage

Quote:
2. The current MBRetina have fused RAM and SSD making upgrades impossible.
Agreed, the retina MBP is not as upgradable as the the classic version is but, the SSD can be upgraded

Quote:
If I wait as MR want me to, is there a possibility of Apple following the soldering-to-mainboard trend or will they always offer a MBP that is upgradable by the end-user?
Conventional wisdom is to wait when you need the machine, but as you point out its quite possible that the classic MBP may have the ram soldered onto the logic board - there's no way to know.

You will still have the opportunity to buy the old version when the Haswell MBPs hit the streets, so you can decide then if you want to wait
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:11 AM   #3
damojag
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ballina, Ireland
Send a message via MSN to damojag Send a message via Skype™ to damojag
Thanks for the quick reply. To be able to upgrade hardware myself is why I want the MBP - any idea what sort of price the Haswell will be? More expensive than the current MBP?
damojag is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
macbook pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it worth buying current Macbook Pro? zahz MacBook Pro 11 Feb 19, 2014 10:26 AM
Anyone going to buy a current Mac Pro? wesk702 Mac Pro 77 Jun 27, 2013 07:50 PM
Question about the current Macbook Pro w/Retina badlydrawnboy MacBook Pro 1 May 31, 2013 09:19 AM
Current Market Prices For Used MacBook Pro's ducatiti MacBook Pro 4 Jul 18, 2012 02:20 PM
Does your (current) MacBook Pro look 'overweight'? Hustler1337 MacBook Pro 12 Jun 12, 2012 05:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC