Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTroxtell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
I just replaced my Powerbook G4 1.5GHz logic board, the battery will charge fine so long as the PB is off or in sleep mode. If it is on the battery icon just shows a plug and says "Battery is not charging". System profiler info states:
Battery Information:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3207
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 3623
Health Information:
Cycle count: 107
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12172

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Dynamic Power Step: Yes
Reduce Processor Speed: No
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Wake On Modem Ring: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
Dynamic Power Step: No
Reduce Processor Speed: Yes
Wake On Modem Ring: No
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

Clamshell Closed: No
UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

AC Charger (Watts): 26
Connected: Yes

I have unplugged it, pulled the battery, held the power button down for 5 seconds to reset the pmu. It comes back up with a 1969 date so I know it reset correctly. Does anyone have a clue as to if this can be fixed or what else could be causing this to happen?

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
This is an interesting issue... assuming there's not a hardware fault somewhere, do you have an external monitor connected, or are you using a lot of peripherals, or doing CPU intensive tasks while it's running? That can potentially affect the ability to charge.

Also, verify you're using the correct model and wattage power adapter for your model PowerBook. You probably are, but this symptom can be an easy indication of a power adapter with too low wattage, so I need to ask.

Assuming neither of those is the case, do you have a spare battery and/or spare power adapter you could try using and see what happens with those?

(Trying to rule out everything that doesn't involve you opening up your machine first)

Last edited:

CTroxtell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
No external monitor connected, not really doing anything on it and don't have any external devices connected. I purchased my PB over 4 years ago, had to replace the screen and I think I made the mistake of not cleaning the cpu heatsink and reapplying thermal paste and while playing a small game it had a burning smell come out of it(odd I figured if it got too hot it would just shutdown but any how). It sat in storage for about 3 years till I picked up 2 logic boards off eBay, they were supposed to be new but for less then $50 I wasn't complaining to see my PB come back to live. Its strange I can watch the battery lights charging but as soon as I open the lid and the computer comes on the lights stop showing its charging. It used to charge fine while on so much as I remember. My PB is a A1106 the charger says "For A1021" I'm wondering if that could be an issue...

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
"AC Charger (Watts): 26
Charging: No"

There really is a problem because with PowerBook G4 and correct type of charger this should read 65 Watts, iBooks had 45W which has also worked with couple PowerBooks I've had despite not being the recommened type... but 26W is something else. It seems that there is not enough power, to power up the machine and charge at the same time.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
"AC Charger (Watts): 26
Charging: No"

There really is a problem because with PowerBook G4 and correct type of charger this should read 65 Watts, iBooks had 45W which has also worked with couple PowerBooks I've had despite not being the recommened type... but 26W is something else. It seems that there is not enough power, to power up the machine and charge at the same time.

We have a winner!

My iBook shipped with a 45W adapter that provided uneven performance. No issues when I got a 65W replacement.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I just replaced my Powerbook G4 1.5GHz logic board, the battery will charge fine so long as the PB is off or in sleep mode. If it is on the battery icon just shows a plug and says "Battery is not charging". System profiler info states:
Battery Information:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 3207
Full charge capacity (mAh): 3623
Health Information:
Cycle count: 107
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12172

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Dynamic Power Step: Yes
Reduce Processor Speed: No
Wake On LAN: Yes
Wake On Modem Ring: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
Dynamic Power Step: No
Reduce Processor Speed: Yes
Wake On Modem Ring: No
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

Clamshell Closed: No
UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

AC Charger (Watts): 26

I have unplugged it, pulled the battery, held the power button down for 5 seconds to reset the pmu. It comes back up with a 1969 date so I know it reset correctly. Does anyone have a clue as to if this can be fixed or what else could be causing this to happen?

Has this powerbook been overclocked? Overclocking will often decrease charge performance.

CTroxtell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
No, not been overclocked. Charger label reads
AC-DC Adapter 65W
Input: AC 100-240V 50-60Hz
Output: DC 24.5V 2.65A
For A1021 ADP-36KB
S/N: PR50102550
Delta Electronics Inc.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
That really should not read 26W, it should say 65W. That's your problem right there for why it's not charging; you're barely getting enough electricity to run your PowerBook, nevermind charge it.

Going off the information you've given so far, I think we can safely say this is probably either your power adapter is bad or your DC in board is bad. Power adapter is by far the easier one to replace, obviously, so if I were you I'd attack it from that angle first.

Is your power adapter Apple or third party? If third party I'd say that's almost certainly it... see if you can score an Apple adapter and see what happens. As far as Apple-branded adapters, it shouldn't matter what model number it has as long as it's got the barrel connector and has a 65W output.

Last edited:

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Based on the info it is not original, if I remember correctly the original Apple charger did not mention the real maker, it was truely branded as Apple charger. That Delta charger also looks totally different (in shape etc.) based on those codes so it is easily to say it is not original.

CTroxtell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Based on the info it is not original, if I remember correctly the original Apple charger did not mention the real maker, it was truely branded as Apple charger. That Delta charger also looks totally different (in shape etc.) based on those codes so it is easily to say it is not original.

Well that sounds about how my luck goes, guess I'll have to try to get me a Apple charger.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
I was bit wrong with assumption. Just got two iBooks, both have original chargers and one is made by Delta while the other one is by Samsung.... but if they don't look like this they most certainly are not original:

http://www.laptopbattery-usa.com/images/A1036.jpg

Apple logo and the indicator ring which goes orange or green depening the charging state.

And still, those wattage readings are not correct, 45W or 65W is what they should be, not 26W.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.