Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
New, out of the box, synced it up with iTunes after a trip to AT&T yesterday for a SIM. Immediately jailbroke it, loaded it with my favorite tweaks.

Now, here it is the following day and I see it is running 6.02.
Runs like butter, no issues and the jailbreak yesterday went smoothly.

Is there a reason now to go back and kind of do it all over again so as to update to 6.1?

clockworkorange

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Not really only thing your missing out on is Siri enhancements, passbook enhancements, and fixes on iTunes Match. Kind of wishes I stayed on 6.0.2, 6.1 seems to be a battery hog.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
I'm on 6.0.2 also. I don't think it really matters. I wouldn't go through the time it takes to upgrade until there are new features.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
That settles it.
Thanks guys- staying on the 6.02.
If I notice SIRI stuttering a lot or my Starbucks Passbook overcharging me for my latte, then I may reconsider...

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
It may be too late by then though (I suspect some sarcasm in your last post).

As a rule of thumb, unless there are some very specific reasons not too, I think you should always be running the most up to date iOS that has an untethered JB.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Honestly, no sarcasm (although I get that a lot).

Just didn't want the hassle of setting up a brand new iPhone again!

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
New, out of the box, synced it up with iTunes after a trip to AT&T yesterday for a SIM. Immediately jailbroke it, loaded it with my favorite tweaks.

Now, here it is the following day and I see it is running 6.02.
Runs like butter, no issues and the jailbreak yesterday went smoothly.

Is there a reason now to go back and kind of do it all over again so as to update to 6.1?

If you use your phone at work where they use an Exchange server, there's a known calendaring bug with 6.1 that kills battery life... so there's one good reason to avoid 6.1 for now. The 6.1.2 maintenance release from Apple will hopefully squash that bug in the coming days, but we're all waiting to see if Apple also patches the exploits used by the evasi0n jailbreak with that release, which would really suck if it did...

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I ended up updating with iTunes earlier today. Didn't take as long as I had anticipated.

One slight concern was I did a simple update/restore and set up as new iPhone and then re-jailbroke.

I did none of this via DFU mode.
I'm pretty sure there is no issue doing it this way yet so many other threads recommend DFU restore so as to eliminate all traces of the prior jailbreak.
I'm hopeful that is more important to those who want to rid themselves of the jailbreak in its entirety, not in my situation whereas I immediately placed the jailbreak back on directly after the jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.