Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Hey guys, I need some advice to make a decision between the Dual Core or Quad Core Mac Mini 2012. I just want to use the mini as a media center. I will use for watch FHD movies and some basic editing if is neccesary. I want a very fluid multitasking and I want to know if the Dual Core i5 is enough for my requirements.

Thanks!:)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Really? Isn't laggy at all with FULL HD movies? Or with a heavy blu ray rip?

My 2007 and 2009 C2D Macs can play 1080p quite okay, even Blu Ray rips, an i5 should cut right through that stuff.
Even dual-core i5/i7 MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros can do that, no need for a quad-core i7.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will order a Mac mini i5 dual right now. Bytheway, im new in this website, I want to know if the members can sell their stuff (used, mint) by this forum?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks a lot for your reply. I will order a Mac mini i5 dual right now. Bytheway, im new in this website, I want to know if the members can sell their stuff (used, mint) by this forum?

Thanks
You need a minimum of 250 posts and have been registered here for at least 180 days to be able to access the Marketplace.

Where is the Marketplace forum?
You will not see the Marketplace forum until you qualify to use it.
Only users with a history of 250 posts (user title 6502 or higher) and membership for at least 6 months can access the Marketplace forum.

Mac Rumors Forums Rules
Mac Rumors Forums FAQ

The Rules and FAQ can be found on every MR Forums page on the top.
MR_FAQ-RULES_link.png

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I have the new i5 mini myself as a media server. Nearly 3TB library.
Some times two apple tv 3's and an iPad are streaming from it at the same time. No lag whatsoever.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
2012 minis are up as refurbs now, may not be stock on what you want at moment but will rotate back.

could get i7 for a small bit more than i5, or i5 with $ left over for upgrading.

CeratixD

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
2012 minis are up as refurbs now, may not be stock on what you want at moment but will rotate back.

could get i7 for a small bit more than i5, or i5 with $ left over for upgrading.

I hope I can find a mac mini i5 as soon as possible. I will upgrade it in the future, maybe add some ram and replace de 500GB 5400rpm hard drive for and SSD. I don't have to many movies, I recently upgrade the speed of my internet and I have download 20 movies until now.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
i use the i5 dual core Mini as my Media Centre. I have about 10TB of pretty much every kind of media available (including large bitrate Bluray Rips 25GB+) it never breaks a sweat.

It can also handle mutlitasking very well (mine does have 10GB of RAM though which can be bought cheaply) i routinely have Safari open with half a dozen tabs, Mail, iCal, iTunes, a VPn client, Drobo Dashboard, Crashplan, Bitcasa, Dropbox, ps3 media server, Transmission and iStat Menus all running at the same time without any slowdown. I can run VMs in Virtualbox too with all this open too although my Windows 8 one does slow things down a little. Don't let people tell you the basic Mini isn't good enough for everyday use, it's a great little workhorse!

Also, your last post mentioned SSD. If you are used to having SSDs in your computers go for it. But a lot of people on this forum preach that a traditional HDD has no place inside a computer these days which isn't true at all. Don't let them convince you to spend more money than you have to, even with a 5400rpm drive the base Mini is perfectly usable without an SSD for everyday use.

Last edited:

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
I have the 2012 i7 w/Fusion and 16GB RAM. I use it as my primary machine for a large variety of tasks, one of which is hosting streaming video to my PS3.

IF there is any chance you would use it for more than just the media center, go for the i7. To be honest, I think NOT using it for more is a waste. You can do so much with the Mini and it doesn't even break a sweat.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
My Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) 1.83ghz Mac Mini chokes on 1080p .

I figure pretty much any Core2Duo should be fine, and the I5 will laugh at it.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
My 2011 air i5 with 2gb ram will laugh at those task and its certainly nothing spectacular in terms of specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.