Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Not sure if this is the place for this thread so Mods please move where you see fit.

I'm backing up my Photos and home movies (iPhoto Library) to the Crash Plan service.

I thought i'd go into the iPhone App to see whats backed up so far but I can't seem to find any pictures just "files" if that makes sense (same when logging on to the web service). I assumed i'd be able to navigate to "events" and see the backed up pictures etc.

Anybody use CrashPlan here? Would be great to here some advice.

Thanks

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a Family account with CrashPlan. I'd say it's very good, but with a few caveats:

1. If your initial set of data to back up is huge (hundreds of GB), you need to be prepared to wait. Upload speeds are highly variable. My line has a 20Mbit upload speed - I've seen between 10Mbit and 0.5Mbit upload speeds from CrashPlan.
  2. Once the initial upload was finished, incremental uploads have been reasonably good.

The ability to define the encryption key yourself, without it ever travelling to CrashPlan's servers is great for the security-conscious, and the price is good.

Their web interface for browsing and downloading your backed-up files is decent enough and the ability to store multiple versions of the same file can come in handy. The iPhone app to browse your backup archives also works reasonably well.

If fast upload speeds are critical you might want to look elsewhere - otherwise, it's pretty good.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Hi,

I've got a Family account with CrashPlan. I'd say it's very good, but with a few caveats:

1. If your initial set of data to back up is huge (hundreds of GB), you need to be prepared to wait. Upload speeds are highly variable. My line has a 20Mbit upload speed - I've seen between 10Mbit and 0.5Mbit upload speeds from CrashPlan.
  2. Once the initial upload was finished, incremental uploads have been reasonably good.

The ability to define the encryption key yourself, without it ever travelling to CrashPlan's servers is great for the security-conscious, and the price is good.

Their web interface for browsing and downloading your backed-up files is decent enough and the ability to store multiple versions of the same file can come in handy. The iPhone app to browse your backup archives also works reasonably well.

If fast upload speeds are critical you might want to look elsewhere - otherwise, it's pretty good.

So how does it manage your iPhoto library? Thats one thing I don't get. I've uploaded all of it but when its there I can't see a way of plucking individual photos out of it??

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
So how does it manage your iPhoto library? Thats one thing I don't get. I've uploaded all of it but when its there I can't see a way of plucking individual photos out of it??

That's a fundamental flaw with iPhoto. The database appears as one big file. The reality is that it's just another package but when you archive things like this, you don't have access to the individual files (normally).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.