Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I recently installed OS X server 10.6 as a virtual machine using parallels on my dad's new imac (running 10.8.2) as he needs to use appleworks within the VM.

At the moment, he's dragging files to a USB flash drive, then mounting it in the VM to transfer files across.

I've tried to set up a shared folder but can't work out how to do it. Can someone tell me how to do it to save him constantly mounting and un-mounting the flash drive?

I've tried google but can't find anything very clear.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I recently installed OS X server 10.6 as a virtual machine using parallels on my dad's new imac (running 10.8.2) as he needs to use appleworks within the VM.

At the moment, he's dragging files to a USB flash drive, then mounting it in the VM to transfer files across.

I've tried to set up a shared folder but can't work out how to do it. Can someone tell me how to do it to save him constantly mounting and un-mounting the flash drive?

I've tried google but can't find anything very clear.

Are you trying to set-up a file share on the server VM?

You can share folders in Parallels by selecting the Virtual Machine menu and then configure>options>sharing

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Are you trying to set-up a file share on the server VM?

You can share folders in Parallels by selecting the Virtual Machine menu and then configure>options>sharing

I've done the configure>options>sharing but then I can't find the folder ive selected to share within the VM? I created a folder on the desktop of imac, selected to share that in VM configuration, but then I don't know how to access that folder via the Virtual machine?

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I've done the configure>options>sharing but then I can't find the folder ive selected to share within the VM? I created a folder on the desktop of imac, selected to share that in VM configuration, but then I don't know how to access that folder via the Virtual machine?

Have you tried opening finder in the VM selecting GO and then Connect to Server

You should be able to browse available shares from there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.