Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n1kko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Ok I'm a little confused on what to do. I have a MacBook pro at home and an iMac in my office, is there anyway to keep them completely in sync with all files etc?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can use a combination of Apple's iCloud service and the Dropbox sync service to accomplish much of what you want.

iCloud will sync bookmarks, contacts, calendars, and tasks as well as documents created with Apple's iWorks apps. Dropbox can be used to sync all other documents.

But if you are talking about syncing a large amount of music or photos, there is no good way to do that.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
There is rsync, the built-in Unix syncing command, and apps that are a front-end for it.
There are many file and folder syncing apps, the King of which is Chronosync. I use it to sync my Document folder between my desktop and laptop Macs.

Syncing an iTunes Library is a bit more difficult. You can't just add the files to the folders. You could synchronise (i.e. overwrite) the iTunes Library file, though this may cause problems if the user account names or file paths are different.
Similarly, you don't want to synchronise your user Library cache and preferences files, as they relate to the specific machines.

You can create Smart Folders of files that are shared from the other computer, which have been recently modified or added, and then you can drag them over to iTunes. iPhoto would be a bit more complex.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.