Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
OS X Mountain Lion running on Microsoft Surface

I knew it was only a matter of time before it happened but someone has turned a Surface into a Hackintosh. The Wi-Fi drivers in this build don't seem to be working so they're using a USB Ethernet Dongle.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:20 PM   #2
GermanyChris
Banned

That was my first thought when I heard about the surface pro, iPad done correctly Hack surface pro.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Who'd go for a touchscreen tablet running OS X with these specs?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4
GermanyChris
Banned

Me
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:33 PM   #5
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Heh. If it works well this might be worth doing.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:35 PM   #6
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Who'd go for a touchscreen tablet running OS X with these specs?
No thank you. IMO Windows 8 has shown why touch driven and mouse driven interfaces should never be combined. All the conventional desktop applications that people wanted still really need a mouse and keyboard.

I would much rather see Apple bring improvements for professional users to iOS. It has the potential... it was built on the same structural foundation as OS X.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:30 PM   #7
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Fun novelty, but they put the start screen/metro in there for a reason.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
That was my first thought when I heard about the surface pro, iPad done correctly Hack surface pro.
iPad done correctly? Thanks for giving me my laugh for the day. My guess is you wouldn't be using this "hackintosh" as a tablet much if at all. So then what's the point. Buy a laptop instead.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:26 AM   #9
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
iPad done correctly? Thanks for giving me my laugh for the day. My guess is you wouldn't be using this "hackintosh" as a tablet much if at all. So then what's the point. Buy a laptop instead.
Why not?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
There are many people in the world still wanting a touch-screen Mac. Not everybody has your/Apple's needs or opinions. Unfortunately, Steve damned touch-screen Macs to hell claiming that peoples arms drop off if they use a vertical touch-screen.

Guess he never thought of having an adjustable screen like what was on the iMac G4, but whatever. Windows 8 now caters for that market.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:27 PM   #11
bigpoppamac31
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Indeed. When I first heard of the "iPad" I thought it'd be more of a "Macbook Touch". Just take a Macbook Pro and put the display where the keyboard and trackpad are and keep everything else the same. You'd have USB, FW, Thunderbolt/Display out, Audio in/out and in it's initial release maybe even a superdrive. Plus full desktop/laptop Mac OSX. That would have been awesome!!
bigpoppamac31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
There are many people in the world still wanting a touch-screen Mac. Not everybody has your/Apple's needs or opinions. Unfortunately, Steve damned touch-screen Macs to hell claiming that peoples arms drop off if they use a vertical touch-screen.

Guess he never thought of having an adjustable screen like what was on the iMac G4, but whatever. Windows 8 now caters for that market.
My guess is the number of people wanting this is small. Niche market. Of course not everybody has my needs. But they don't have yours either.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppamac31 View Post
Indeed. When I first heard of the "iPad" I thought it'd be more of a "Macbook Touch". Just take a Macbook Pro and put the display where the keyboard and trackpad are and keep everything else the same. You'd have USB, FW, Thunderbolt/Display out, Audio in/out and in it's initial release maybe even a superdrive. Plus full desktop/laptop Mac OSX. That would have been awesome!!
Why not just use multi touch gestures on the trackpad?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:04 PM   #13
bigpoppamac31
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why not just use multi touch gestures on the trackpad?
I do use those but it's not the same. Having a full fledge "Macbook Touch" would have been so much nicer then and "iPad. I like seeing the finder and where all my files are. Or having a blank desktop with no icons on it (what's the point of putting a background pic it's it's hidden behind app icons??). Or having a 500GB (or bigger) Hard drive as opposed to a measly 64GB. I don't care for the cloud based nonsense.

Plus the iPad seems far more restrictive in what you can do unless you "jailbreak" it. On iPad (or iPhone) you can only download content from Apple's various "stores" whereas with the Mac I can still do pretty much what I want with it. I'll be honest the iPad is cool in many ways but until they can stick 500GB or even 1TB or storage into it I don't think I'll be buying one unless iPad and iCloud services are essentially forced on people.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:22 AM   #14
bdrake47
macrumors regular

Already done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppamac31 View Post
Is awesome, but pricey. http://www.modbook.com
bdrake47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:03 AM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
My guess is the number of people wanting this is small. Niche market. Of course not everybody has my needs. But they don't have yours either.
Oh yeah totally, practically nobody will do this. Since the Surface Pro comes with Windows 8 anyway, there is not much point.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:49 PM   #16
bigpoppamac31
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrake47 View Post
Is awesome, but pricey. http://www.modbook.com
Yeah I remember seeing those. Would be awesome but too bad it's only the standard 1280x800 resolution. If it was at least 1440x900 or 1680x1050 it would be much better. If I had I'd get one. This is what Apple should have done. Would have been so much better. But I guess that's just me.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Tags
hackintosh, mountain lion, os x, surface