Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Hey.
Is there any way I can keep my MBP completely on but with the screen off and doing stuff while the lid is closed?

MBP is a 2010 13" Core2Duo model. Running Mountain Lion.

Example of scenario: I have to upload around 5000 5MB files (around 25GB) to my work FTP server, which would usually take all night. I'd like to set it up, close the lid so the screen goes off and the keyboard and all is protected and let it do until it's finished.

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Caffeine will temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off.

To keep your Mac notebook awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

NoSleep also keeps your Mac notebook awake when you close the lid.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
you are wrong on that, is a toogle on and off.
you control it from the bar on top with a click
I'm not wrong. It will keep the Mac awake when you close the lid. That's the purpose of the app. I didn't say anything about how to activate NoSleep, which can be done via the Menu Bar icon or via the app preferences. Read the link posted to learn how it works.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm not wrong. It will keep the Mac awake when you close the lid. That's the purpose of the app. I didn't say anything about how to activate NoSleep, which can be done via the Menu Bar icon or via the app preferences. Read the link posted to learn how it works.

damm my bad, did not pay attention to how you phrased what you said.
maybe i should not be eating, reading and watching the news at the same time.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
No Sleep is what I've been using in conjunction with Caffeine.

Although I don't *always* keep No Sleep active, it works great and I absolutely love Caffeine... the app that is :D :apple:

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
What I do is go to energy saver and turn "computer to sleep" to "never".
Then after that just press the "shift+control+eject" and make the display go to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.