Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Hello macrumors,
I was one of the launch day buyers of the 3rd generation iPad, since then, I've had to replace it many (12-13) times, I've had ones crashing left and right, hardware glitches, dead pixels, hair under the screen, as well as one where parts of the backlight bar had died. I took the one that I had thought had the least problems, then, I was at my apple store on Friday, and was talking to the manager that had helped me from march-may, he said bring it in and I'll see what I could do (I hadn't done a swap in 9 months) so, yesterday, I went back in (also needed to get my rMBP fixed too, which that had another story all together) and I showed it to the manager, he got on the phone with AppleCare and processed an exchange, a little while later, he came out of the back with a brand new iPad 4th gen, we did the swap and first one was fine, so I took it home, very happily! I wouldn't try to do this, I had A LOT of problems, so I would think I have a very unique case.

Now, about the MacBook, I had no appointment, but the same manager went and got his best genius, immidatly the genius started to check out my computer, I told him about the crash that was eventually fixed, checked console logs and found a ton of crashes in my system, ran a diagnostics, screen was indeed bad as well as my thunderbolt port was broken too, this, coupled with the fact my computer creaked and the logic board made a hissing noise, he didn't even want to try to fix it, they said they want to replace my entire machine, the manager went and brought me a brand new computer, this also had an LG screen, and showed signs of IR. I told him about it, he undid the swap, gave me my computer back until a BTO order directly from the factory mare with a Samsung screen arrived in store, so there is also a possibility ill be getting the early 2013 edition to replace my 6 month old 2012. AMAZING CUSTOMER SUPPORT FROM THEM!

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I need to come to your apple store. The guys in my area told me that having a slightly darker, yellow corner and strip running along the edge of one side of my iPad's screen was "within spec". I'm glad your months of headache have come to a satisfactory resolution.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I too experienced hell trying to get a perfect screen iPad 3. But retail swaps instead

I wonder if iPad 4 qc is as bad. If so, I'll be much less tempted to upgrade.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Hello macrumors,
I was one of the launch day buyers of the 3rd generation iPad, since then, I've had to replace it many (12-13) times, I've had ones crashing left and right, hardware glitches, dead pixels, hair under the screen, as well as one where parts of the backlight bar had died. I took the one that I had thought had the least problems, then, I was at my apple store on Friday, and was talking to the manager that had helped me from march-may, he said bring it in and I'll see what I could do (I hadn't done a swap in 9 months) so, yesterday, I went back in (also needed to get my rMBP fixed too, which that had another story all together) and I showed it to the manager, he got on the phone with AppleCare and processed an exchange, a little while later, he came out of the back with a brand new iPad 4th gen, we did the swap and first one was fine, so I took it home, very happily! I wouldn't try to do this, I had A LOT of problems, so I would think I have a very unique case.

Now, about the MacBook, I had no appointment, but the same manager went and got his best genius, immidatly the genius started to check out my computer, I told him about the crash that was eventually fixed, checked console logs and found a ton of crashes in my system, ran a diagnostics, screen was indeed bad as well as my thunderbolt port was broken too, this, coupled with the fact my computer creaked and the logic board made a hissing noise, he didn't even want to try to fix it, they said they want to replace my entire machine, the manager went and brought me a brand new computer, this also had an LG screen, and showed signs of IR. I told him about it, he undid the swap, gave me my computer back until a BTO order directly from the factory mare with a Samsung screen arrived in store, so there is also a possibility ill be getting the early 2013 edition to replace my 6 month old 2012. AMAZING CUSTOMER SUPPORT FROM THEM!

I'm glad for you, really... But gosh my rMBP is driving me nuts... Got it fixed for dead pixels 1 month ago. They changed the screen, but i'm still having the same issue. My unibody is bent, the computer won't close properly. Probably one of my worst Apple buy ever.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Maybe you guys in the US get shipped the seconds or something, at work here (australia) we have a fleet of over 150 iphones, probably 15 ipads and 5 ipad minis, and I'm yet to see a defective product out of the box.

not saying it can't happen, but for people to need to do multiple returns on a single item... something wrong...

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
12 iPads with issues. Wtf.

I've never ever seen anyone find issues in every ipad 12 times in a row. Either you have bad luck with Apple or umm...

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
This both makes me want and not want to take my ipad 3 in for the damage the Smart Cover caused to the aluminum.

S

syd430

I wonder if iPad 4 qc is as bad. If so, I'll be much less tempted to upgrade.

I went through 3 that had uneven tints at a level that I thought was unacceptable. 4th replacement is great though.

Last edited by a moderator:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I went through 3 that had uneven tints at a level that I thought was unacceptable. 4th replacement is great though.

Same story here with yellow tints. It took 4 tries, but my iPad 4 is perfect and customer service was excellent. They replaced 3 iPads with no questions asked.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
ya, i was just as surprised, my iPad 4 is fine though, so i'm happy!

That statement was not meant to support your OCD and need to return 12 times.

Its just IMPOSSIBLE that 12 random units were defective. You all must be complaining about some things that in normal operation have no effect on usage. Otherwise, everyone would be returning them

I get that there have been some issues, but you getting 12 of them. The problem is not the device.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
12!! thats crazy. Good thing we have actual apple stores, could you imagine if you had to ship these off somewhere and deal with customer support only over the phone. I'm sure the rate of exhange would be much much less.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
he came out of the back with a brand new iPad 4th gen

That is good customer service, but on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if it's standard procedure. After. all, Apple makes money on people running around buying Lightning accessories, so if the price for a 3rd gen and 4th gen are more or less the same for them anyways, it makes sense.

That statement was not meant to support your OCD and need to return 12 times.

Its just IMPOSSIBLE that 12 random units were defective.

Not necessarily. Law of large numbers; while the chances of it happening is slim, it will still occur.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Buying Apple products as of lately seems to be a complete gamble. Their QC is uneven and some situations and just ridiculous.

My first ipad 3 had 4 or 5 dead pixels, really bad light leaking and impurities under the screen. Replaced one day after buying. The next one had 1 dead pixel, nick in the enclosure and impurities under the screen, but I kept it so I could get it exchanged later. The 4 launched a few days later and I read here that some apple stores were giving a 1 month window for costumes who got an ipad 3 within that month to replace them free of charge with the new one. I went to the reseller where I got it, he called Apple and I got a 4 as well. No problems whatsoever. Perfect screen and no nicks on the aluminium.

This is why, to an extent, I think there is benefit in getting a refurbished product: it's cheaper and it goes through extensive testing and very likely more effective than the QC at the Chinese factories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.