Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yogi477

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2002
England
I have moved to Saudi Arabia and am looking to stream iPlayer to my Apple TV from my iPad Mini (I would do it from my MacBook Air but that only does video and not sound I think?).

iPlayer works ok through VPN on my iPad but when I try to stream it (by double pressing home, swiping right and selecting Apple TV on the Airplay icon) it just says "An Error Occured playing this content" on the Apple TV.

Don't think it is the VPN issue as had the issue in the UK just before I left and and it all used to work totally fine.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues recently? All software/firmware is most up to date. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

yogi477

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2002
England
Also getting the same error "An error occurred loading this content" on my iPhone. Anyone else had this issue or able to offer a solution?

MajorBulk

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Lincolnshire UK
Yep, I'm also getting the error message when trying airplay from the iPad.

I'm new to the ATV (3rd gen) so I tried just airplaying my photos which did work OK, but I also tried to play music, which I wasn't successful at all, don't know if its the same problem.

I emailed the BBC iPlayer support, who just recommended me to delete the app and to re-install from iTunes.

I'm afraid it hasn't altered anything :(

Anyway, if the iPlayer support know more people are having problems the better, and maybe they'll make a fix for it ;)

Edit: Has the update on the IPlayer made this error, because it wasn't long ago. Did you guys have any problem before the update?

yogi477

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2002
England
Yep, I'm also getting the error message when trying airplay from the iPad.

I'm new to the ATV (3rd gen) so I tried just airplaying my photos which did work OK, but I also tried to play music, which I wasn't successful at all, don't know if its the same problem.

I emailed the BBC iPlayer support, who just recommended me to delete the app and to re-install from iTunes.

I'm afraid it hasn't altered anything :(

Anyway, if the iPlayer support know more people are having problems the better, and maybe they'll make a fix for it ;)

I also emailed them and I'm waiting for a response but I did kind of get it to work in the meantime. It works if I turn on mirroring when turning on AirPlay (double tapping the home button and swiping right). This works as streaming used to before I had the issues ie. it doesn't mirror at all but displays a fixed image on the iPad and plays the video full screen through the Apple TV.

However, this is a bit unreliable in the sometimes it's a little blocky. Does that work for you?

MajorBulk

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Lincolnshire UK
I also emailed them and I'm waiting for a response but I did kind of get it to work in the meantime. It works if I turn on mirroring when turning on AirPlay (double tapping the home button and swiping right). This works as streaming used to before I had the issues ie. it doesn't mirror at all but displays a fixed image on the iPad and plays the video full screen through the Apple TV.

However, this is a bit unreliable in the sometimes it's a little blocky. Does that work for you?

Hiya,

Yeah, I have no problem mirroring, as you have to do with the ITV player, but the BBC update does incorporate airplaying now, except it doesn't with me :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.