Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Tacticus
macrumors newbie

How do I restore MacBook to factory settings?

Hi, I am looking to sell my MacBook Pro and need to restore it to factory settings, does anybody know how I do this ? I don't have any installation disks (it didn't come with any).
Tacticus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Nermal

Reboot and hold Cmd-Opt-R at the chime to get into Internet Recovery. You will then be able to launch Disk Utility and wipe the hard drive, then reinstall OS X. This process may take more than an hour.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Tacticus
macrumors newbie

Great thanks, the reinstall OS X step ..... I don't have discs so would that be from the hard drive ?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Nermal

Internet Recovery will download the installer, no DVDs needed.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacticus View Post
Great thanks, the reinstall OS X step ..... I don't have discs so would that be from the hard drive ?
I would recommend downloading and creating a bootable OS X Lion/ML thumb drive. Much faster than internet recovery unless you have super blazing internet.
Spink10 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:48 PM   #6
DayVe3000
macrumors member

What MBP/OSX do you have?
DayVe3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:37 PM   #7
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

If your computer originally started on Lion, but you manually upgraded to Mountain Lion, what does Internet Restore install?

Also, while we're at it...how would you secure erase a SSD on OS X?
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkim1983 View Post
If your computer originally started on Lion, but you manually upgraded to Mountain Lion, what does Internet Restore install?
Internet Recovery (Cmd-Opt-R) uses the computer's serial number to download the version that it came with. This is not the same as the Recovery System (Cmd-R) which reinstalls the same version as is currently present.
Nermal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:03 PM   #9
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Internet Recovery (Cmd-Opt-R) uses the computer's serial number to download the version that it came with. This is not the same as the Recovery System (Cmd-R) which reinstalls the same version as is currently present.
Thank you!
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:44 AM   #10
Tacticus
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help everyone, I will give it a go
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:19 AM   #11
cntwtfrmynwmbp
macrumors member

I had the exact same question here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1543870), but no answers there.

So I'm happy about finding this thread

Has anyone an idea about the SSD question? (see quote below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntwtfrmynwmbp View Post
The MBP has an SSD. I've read somewhere that secure erasing may harm the SSD. How to deal with that?

Thanks for your help!
cntwtfrmynwmbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntwtfrmynwmbp View Post
I had the exact same question here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1543870), but no answers there.

So I'm happy about finding this thread

Has anyone an idea about the SSD question? (see quote below).
That is correct... you don't want to secure erase an SSD. If you want to make sure your data is safe before you sell, just turn on Filevault2 encryption on the drive and wait for it to finish encrypting. Then follow the step in this thread to get to Internet Recovery and erase Macintosh HD, then reinstall the OS.

When you erase the HD, it will erase the encrypted Filevault2 volume. So even if someone used tools to recover what you erased, it would still be encrypted.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:05 PM   #13
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 6502a

Why does secure erase harm the SSD and why would Apple still provide a secure empty trash feature on SSD-based Macs?
PatriotInvasion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:32 PM   #14
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
Why does secure erase harm the SSD and why would Apple still provide a secure empty trash feature on SSD-based Macs?
The theory is that a secure erase by overwriting with zeros like DU does needlessly adds wear cycles to the drive. If you look at DU on a SSD Mac, you will see the secure erase option is greyed out.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:51 PM   #15
cntwtfrmynwmbp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
That is correct... you don't want to secure erase an SSD. If you want to make sure your data is safe before you sell, just turn on Filevault2 encryption on the drive and wait for it to finish encrypting. Then follow the step in this thread to get to Internet Recovery and erase Macintosh HD, then reinstall the OS.

When you erase the HD, it will erase the encrypted Filevault2 volume. So even if someone used tools to recover what you erased, it would still be encrypted.
Thanks! I'll try that.
cntwtfrmynwmbp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Josh125
macrumors regular

Thumbs up

Great information!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:28 PM   #17
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The theory is that a secure erase by overwriting with zeros like DU does needlessly adds wear cycles to the drive. If you look at DU on a SSD Mac, you will see the secure erase option is greyed out.
Secure erase is greyed out in Disk Utility, but you still have the option to "Secure Empty Trash" when emptying your trash bin. Isn't this in fact doing the same thing on a smaller scale?

And, if secure erase is the way to go for a HDD, how do you prevent recovery of data on an SSD if secure erase is not an option?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:13 AM   #18
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Secure erase is greyed out in Disk Utility, but you still have the option to "Secure Empty Trash" when emptying your trash bin. Isn't this in fact doing the same thing on a smaller scale?

And, if secure erase is the way to go for a HDD, how do you prevent recovery of data on an SSD if secure erase is not an option?
Yes, it would seem so. A secure empty trash does overwrite the area with random data, so in theory this adds one more "write cycle" to that area of the disk.

To prevent data recovery with an SSD you can either encrypt then delete like I described in post post above, or you can boot from Linux and run the ATA secure erase command which does not add a write cycle.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:36 PM   #19
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes, it would seem so. A secure empty trash does overwrite the area with random data, so in theory this adds one more "write cycle" to that area of the disk.

To prevent data recovery with an SSD you can either encrypt then delete like I described in post post above, or you can boot from Linux and run the ATA secure erase command which does not add a write cycle.
Thanks. So if you only plan to have the SSD-equipped Mac for say 3 years and only do a secure empty trash occasionally, I'm guessing write cycles shouldn't be too big of a deal?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:01 PM   #20
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

Quote:
Thanks. So if you only plan to have the SSD-equipped Mac for say 3 years and only do a secure empty trash occasionally, I'm guessing write cycles shouldn't be too big of a deal?
I would not worry about it. There is some good info in this article on the topic.

This is from the article. Even with the newer TLC NAND, at 10GB writes a day you are looking at over 11 years. So even if secure empty trash cut that back somewhat, the computer will likely be dead and gone before the SSD starts to die.

Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:04 AM   #21
jonmanheim
macrumors newbie

Details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Reboot and hold Cmd-Opt-R at the chime to get into Internet Recovery. You will then be able to launch Disk Utility and wipe the hard drive, then reinstall OS X. This process may take more than an hour.
Can you give a little more detail on this process? I restarted with Cmd-option-R and got into a screen that says Mac OS X Utilities. I choose the Disk Utility option and Disk Utility opens. I have options to Erase or Restore my hard drive. But I don't see where it tells me there is an Internet Recovery option.
Thanks
jonmanheim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:07 AM   #22
saturnotaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanheim View Post
Can you give a little more detail on this process? I restarted with Cmd-option-R and got into a screen that says Mac OS X Utilities. I choose the Disk Utility option and Disk Utility opens. I have options to Erase or Restore my hard drive. But I don't see where it tells me there is an Internet Recovery option.
Thanks
You want to select the "install a new copy of OS X" option when the recovery program loads, not Disk Utility.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:27 AM   #23
chabig
macrumors 6502a

I don't think the option key is required to boot to OS X Recovery. All you need is cmd-R.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
chabig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:49 AM   #24
jonmanheim
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
You want to select the "install a new copy of OS X" option when the recovery program loads, not Disk Utility.
OK. And then there is some kind of Internet Recovery? Because I do not have disks to restore OSX
jonmanheim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:01 AM   #25
chabig
macrumors 6502a

Yes. If its a newer machine it will boot over the Internet provided you put it on a network. Be patient because it is not fast.
chabig is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro