Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:55 PM   #26
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent73 View Post
Firefox still has features that I consider absolutely necessary, that no other browser has ever had. Chrome is good, not great, I still use it. And I wouldn't use Safari if you paid me to. (I would use IE but only if paid. )
Chrome had 2 big advantages over Safari until last summer: speed and a combined address/search bar. Safari finally fixed the latter, and on a Mac, it's a stable, quick browser. Firefox is fantastic when I need to download a YouTube video (Potter musicals FTW), but I use it for little else. My web browsing needs just aren't that demanding.
Bill Killer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:55 PM   #27
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post

On a Windows machine, though, I'd choose it 10 out of 10 times over Safari.
They don't actually make Safari for Windows anymore, do they?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:00 PM   #28
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
I haven't been on a PC since summer 2010 so I have no idea.
Bill Killer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:11 PM   #29
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
I haven't been on a PC since summer 2010 so I have no idea.
Well, they don't have it on the Apple website for download anymore... I guess Apple realised Safari for Windows sucks.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:17 PM   #30
w0lf
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That's correct, the last and final build for windows is 5.1.7 .
w0lf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:21 PM   #31
Doc750
macrumors 6502a

Chrome kills everything else out there ... Quick and simple.

I hate google
Doc750 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:22 PM   #32
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

Firefox user here when I am on a Windows environment. I have necer experienced any crash at all.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:26 PM   #33
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc750 View Post

I hate google
Harsh man. Harsh.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:29 PM   #34
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
Really? I still see Firefox as a the better browser, by far.

Tell me, how functional is Chrome & Safari's NoScript extension? How customizable are their interfaces?

I can't think of any reason to use something like Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, or Safari.
Not sure about Firefox, but on Chrome your bookmarks & settings are synced, so you don't have to export the bookmarks on other computers or on Windows.

Also I don't know of any other browser that has a Web Store, or the ability to play games and run applications right on your browser.

The interface on Chrome can also be customized, but personally I generally find the vast majority of themes for both Firefox and Chrome are dead ugly, which is why I stick with the default theme.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:32 PM   #35
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc750 View Post
Of course - Since Google has the most $ out of anyone for development, marketing, advertising etc... Apple has a lotta $ too, however their browser is only for Mac OSX and their game isn't software applications.
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:50 PM   #36
Grimace
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Of course - Since Google has the most $ out of anyone for development, marketing, advertising etc... Apple has a lotta $ too, however their browser is only for Mac OSX and their game isn't software applications.
Hasn't Safari been on Windows for years now?
Grimace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:52 PM   #37
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Firefox 19 is slated to be launched on Tuesday, but as noted by The Next Web, the latest version is already available for download from Mozilla's servers.]
It's been the 19th of Feb in many parts of the world already.
wordoflife is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:58 PM   #38
Watabou
macrumors 68030

Seriously people. Chrome is at version 24. No one complains about that.

I guess the only reason people complain about Firefox's version number is that they have nothing else to complain about.

I'll make a bold statement. Firefox is the best browser out right now. I'm running 28 tabs right now. How much memory is it taking? A measly 845MB. Suck on that Chrome/Safari.

Add on the customizability, the number of great plugins out there like Adblock Plus, Pentadactyl, NoScript, made by an awesome company that actually respects the open web and your privacy, and the secure browsing, you'd be mad to use Chrome or even Safari.

While people have complained, Firefox has just gotten better and better with each release, while Chrome has just gotten buggier and buggier. Don't deny this, I use Chrome for flash and I know how buggy that piece of crap is. Meanwhile, Safari just thinks your free RAM is up for grabs and ends up slowing the entire system down, bringing it to crawl and then you get the dreaded "all tabs must be force reloaded" if you even think of opening more than 5 tabs.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 PM   #39
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Hasn't Safari been on Windows for years now?
It used to be, but they discontinued it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:05 PM   #40
Fatalbert
Banned

"-Built-in PDF viewer"
It didn't have this before?! I remember when I thought Firefox was a cool browser, before I had used it... Is it just me, or is it very slow compared to Safari and Chrome and even IE?

Last edited by Fatalbert; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM.
Fatalbert is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:06 PM   #41
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
Quote:
Huh...?

It seems like it was yesterday when I was using Firefox 3 - And I'm only 16! When the hell did they rack up 19 releases?
I still remember when it was Phoenix and only available on Windows, it was insanely fast at the time (well for me, on dialup with a slow PC). Then I remember when a developer finally ported Firebird to Mac. I kept switching between Firebird/Firefox and Safari every few months until Chrome came around. I'm kind of surprised Firefox is still around, but if it didn't seem so bloaty and slow, I'd be still using it
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:07 PM   #42
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post
I'll make a bold statement. Firefox is the best browser out right now. I'm running 28 tabs right now. How much memory is it taking? A measly 845MB. Suck on that Chrome/Safari.
You have to compare it to Safari on your computer. My Safari takes less than 845MB for 28 tabs, and that's mostly because I have less than 825MB available without Safari. The apps adapt depending on how much RAM is available.

I think Safari and FF use the same amount of RAM for me. However, it seems that Safari can sometimes get really messed up sometimes somehow, making it really slow and buggy (like on my bro's iMac G5).

Last edited by Fatalbert; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Fatalbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:08 PM   #43
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
while Chrome has just gotten buggier and buggier. Don't deny this, I use Chrome for flash and I know how buggy that piece of crap is.
Not for me, it isn't - I use Chrome Canary regularly with dozens of tabs open, and it's great. Perhaps, since you only use it for Flash, it is FLASH that is the buggy piece of crap, and not Chrome overall? And why do you actually use a separate browser for Flash, anyway? If you don't want Flash ads and all that garbage loading up while you browse, just install a Flash-Blocker on Firefox.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
"-Built-in PDF viewer"
It didn't have this before?! I remember when I thought Firefox was a cool browser, before I had used it... Is it just me, or is it very slow compared to Safari and Chrome?
Yeah - Chrome has had PDF viewing built-in for ages.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:10 PM   #44
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Well, they don't have it on the Apple website for download anymore... I guess Apple realised Safari for Windows sucks.
Safari for Windows was actually good before Apple tried to make it some kind of Chrome copy. Then it sucked. I want a freaking menu bar.

----------

Quote:
Chrome had 2 big advantages over Safari until last summer: speed and a combined address/search bar. Safari finally fixed the latter, and on a Mac, it's a stable, quick browser. Firefox is fantastic when I need to download a YouTube video (Potter musicals FTW), but I use it for little else. My web browsing needs just aren't that demanding.
Safari and Chrome can download YouTube videos without any modifications, but any browser can install a GreaseMonkey script that adds a "download" button to YouTube. I use Safari with Click2Plugin so that all YouTube videos open in QuickTime Player, which makes them load faster (no throttling), kills ads, and lets me save the file if I want it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:11 PM   #45
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a

The fox died in the fire.
Moshe1010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:12 PM   #46
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Friends don't let friends use Firefox.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:12 PM   #47
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
Really? I still see Firefox as a the better browser, by far.

Tell me, how functional is Chrome & Safari's NoScript extension? How customizable are their interfaces?

I can't think of any reason to use something like Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, or Safari.
For one, you've apparently been using a browser that can't view PDFs this entire time. Firefox is also slower than Chrome, which I find to be slightly slower than Safari. Though Chrome uses the most RAM out of any browser, totally hogging it.
Fatalbert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:19 PM   #48
Watabou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Not for me, it isn't - I use Chrome Canary regularly with dozens of tabs open, and it's great. Perhaps, since you only use it for Flash, it is FLASH that is the buggy piece of crap, and not Chrome overall? And why do you actually use a separate browser for Flash, anyway? If you don't want Flash ads and all that garbage loading up while you browse, just install a Flash-Blocker on Firefox.

I actually run the Dev channel. You know, I don't know if it's just me but even when I don't run flash, it crashes on me, constantly, or shows me that stupid face and the dialog saying "Kill pages or wait". I was running Canary a while back but went to Dev since I noticed javascript going haywire on some websites.

The only reason I run Chrome is because it has Flash preinstalled, so I don't have to install it on my machine. That's just my preference.
I can get by on Youtube html5 on Firefox but sometimes the videos don't run or they aren't compatible, in which case, I go to chrome.

Chrome was actually great when it first launched. I used it a lot and liked it a lot.

Now it takes huge amounts of memory, crashes, shows its stupid sad face at least two times a day, and it complains everytime. I try going on websites that have my username and password stored and even though I specifically told Chrome never to store passwords, it still asks for my Keychain password. Not once. But THREE times! I have to click deny three times. Seriously. If I accidently reload the same website, I have to click Deny three times again! **** that ****.

Last edited by Watabou; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Watabou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:22 PM   #49
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
[COLOR=#808080]
The only reason I run Chrome is because it has Flash preinstalled, so I don't have to install it on my machine. That's just my preference.
I can get by on Youtube html5 on Firefox but sometimes the videos don't run or they aren't compatible, in which case, I go to chrome.
YouTube got really buggy once they "upgraded" (peed on) the interface, and it sometimes doesn't load. When that happens, Click2Plugin in Safari dodges all Flash and HTML5 BS from YouTube by opening YouTube videos as regular old MP4s in QuickTime Player. I've actually not used Flash in a long time.

I can understand you not liking Chrome because I do find it buggy (still better than FF IMO), but have you actually used Safari without dismissing it as default and evil? It's the most underrated browser of all time, probably because it looks like the Mac version of IE.

Last edited by Fatalbert; Feb 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:38 PM   #50
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

Meh. I like Safari, especially the double tap to smart zoom feature.
Undecided is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion