Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:42 AM   #1
Codeaholic
macrumors newbie

Kext: Replace kernel functions

Hi,

I've 'fixed' a bug in a XNU function. Now I'm looking for a way to apply this fix with a kernel module/kext. I can't be bothered to compile after every Apple update a new kernel with my fix. So I want to write a kext which replaces the old function with my function. I've done this for many times on Solaris and Linux but I'm a newbie in the XNU world.

I guess all what I need is a way (example code that works would be helpful!) to access the kernel symbol address table. With the address of the old function I should be able to patch a Jump into the function that points to my new function. Very evil, I know.

Does somebody did something like this? Please let me know, if you have any idea.
Codeaholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Madd the Sane
macrumors 6502

If you've found a bug in the kernel, file a bug report at bugreport.apple.com, as well as post the patch on Apple's kernel mailing list.
Madd the Sane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Codeaholic
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd the Sane View Post
If you've found a bug in the kernel, file a bug report at bugreport.apple.com, as well as post the patch on Apple's kernel mailing list.
Yes, but first I want to check my fix with a kext. I guess it would be a nice exercise as well.

Does somebody has an idea?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Codeaholic
macrumors newbie

After lots of googling, I've found one paper which has some interesting approaches: http://defcon.org/images/defcon-17/d...ing_on_osx.pdf

It's mainly written for patching syscalls but that's ok. It should also work for functions.

Anyway, any other information regarding this topic would be nice.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Tags
kernel, kext, xnu