Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:48 AM   #1
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a

Israel soldier's photo of boy in crosshairs

This shows the true feelings of some Israeli soldiers.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking12.html

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/outcr...rs-490170.html

200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID
stylinexpat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:50 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

This thread will not end well.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:56 AM   #3
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I hope this soldier gets punished and discharged/fired ... Very sad ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:02 AM   #4
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
This thread will not end well.
That is an understatement.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:02 AM   #5
glocke12
Banned

never mind.....
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:04 AM   #6
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
never mind.....

Aren't soldiers given binoculars?
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:12 AM   #7
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Aren't soldiers given binoculars?
eh...guess you saw my post before i deleted it.

I think that a sniper would use the scope on his primary weapon to observe, as opposed to a binoculars. Makes reacting to situations quicker. But I think they also have spotters also to help them pick targets.

Anyway, taking the picture was in bad taste, and posting it to instagram was a sheer act of stupidity.
glocke12 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:38 AM   #8
GermanyChris
Banned

My take is "we were ******* around." "we were sighting in" "the target was approximately the same size". That soldier needs to lose his job for instagraming anything that come into his scope.

A sniper most likely is not going to be shooting kids, nor trying to take head-shots from that distance especially since his back is nicely exposed. The bullet will be any size ranging from golf ball to baseball at that distance the chance not to kill is very low no matter where in that sight picture he hit. It not worth the miss for the head-shot.
GermanyChris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
This shows the true feelings of some Israeli soldiers.
Must be nice to be able to look at a photo and read someones mind.
184550 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:55 AM   #10
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
That soldier needs to lose his job for instagraming anything that come into his scope.
Exactly what I think. It's a breach of opsec, and a PR mess and for what? This individual has now endangered his comrades for a stupid picture.

The actual targeting and aiming, not really a big deal. If you guys heard have the crap we said/thought but never did in Iraq you'd cringe.
eric/ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:01 AM   #11
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Exactly what I think. It's a breach of opsec, and a PR mess and for what? This individual has now endangered his comrades for a stupid picture.

The actual targeting and aiming, not really a big deal. If you guys heard have the crap we said/thought but never did in Iraq you'd cringe.
Photos and videos from such crap are shared and discussed where. And yes: happy to not know everything.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:03 AM   #12
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
Must be nice to be able to look at a photo and read someones mind.
Agreed. The soldier didn't fire his weapon at the boy. While on a mission I'm sure he looks at a lot of things through his scope, even some women.

That said, he is beyond stupid to take a picture and post it online.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Photos and videos from such crap are shared and discussed where. And yes: happy to not know everything.
One shouldn't shouldn't delude them self into thinking this is a trend unique to the 21st century. As long as there has been conflict, the type of thing discussed above has gone on.
184550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:11 AM   #14
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
One shouldn't shouldn't delude them self into thinking this is a trend unique to the 21st century. As long as there has been conflict, the type of thing discussed above has gone on.
Yes, that's clear. It's just the instant visibility and publicity which makes it even worst. How should respect&trust be build as prerequisite for a peace process ?
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:25 AM   #15
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Yes, that's clear. It's just the instant visibility and publicity which makes it even worst. How should respect&trust be build as prerequisite for a peace process ?
Why do you think the Israelis want peace?
GermanyChris is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:29 AM   #16
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Was he killed? Just because he's in the crosshairs doesn't mean he's going to shoot. Unless there's something in the article I missed.....
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:20 AM   #17
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

If I look at the photo from a graphic perspective ... if I were trying to illustrate an article on innocent Palestinians being unfairly targeted by Israel, this would be a perfect photo for that.

Some here are seeing the photo as a form of a violent wish on the part of the sniper, as in I'm targeting this boy because I want to shoot him. As I don't know the intentions of the photographer, it's impossible for me to know.

However, the message the photo conveys [intentionally or not] to me is not the personal desire to kill, but is instead about the injustice and violence being perpetrated upon the Palestinian people.

Is it possible that the sniper sympathizes—at least somewhat—with the plight of Palestinians and posted that picture intending to send that message? Either way, it was, as others suggest, a foolish thing to post.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:53 AM   #18
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Why do you think the Israelis want peace?
I would hope everybody wants peace. However, some just want that peace after they kill everyone else who dares to live in "their land".
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:30 AM   #19
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
I would hope everybody wants peace. However, some just want that peace after they kill everyone else who dares to live in "their land".

This is neither true of people or governments
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:49 AM   #20
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
I would hope everybody wants peace.
So would I - unfortunately the Israeli government clearly doesn't.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:14 PM   #21
snberk103
macrumors 603

I wonder if anyone has actually read the new stories? Paper, though making leaps of assumptions itself - says that the context of the photo can not be confirmed. The soldier says he found the photo on the internet, and merely reposted - this from the article that itself says "...aggressive message is clear." (Irish Times article). So, they can't actually say for sure that the soldier actually took the photo, but they will condemn him all the same. Yep....

If you want to know why there is no peace in the mid-east it's because people outside the mid-east continue to feed the conflict with their own hate. There is hate enough to go around on both sides in the conflict... why do we feed it from the outside as well?

I found this thread by accident, and I'm signing out... go ahead without me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Well, it's interesting that the government of Gaza Strip still has as it's primary goal the destruction of Israel. How do you talk peace with a government that won't meet with you face to face? And that only wants you "driven into the sea?" Keep in mind that the current government in Gaza drove the moderate government out in a violent military coup when they started talking peace with Israel. Many many Gazans died at the hands of Palestinians during that coup.

There is blame enough to go around. Israel is not blameless, but neither can the by blamed for the situation. It suits the world for various reasons to have that conflict so we let it go on.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:22 PM   #22
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Well, it's interesting that the government of Gaza Strip still has as it's primary goal the destruction of Israel.
I guess it must be hard for the Unionists in Northern Ireland who are in government right now with people with similar beliefs.

They cope.

Quote:
How do you talk peace with a government that won't meet with you face to face?
Yeah that is hard for Hamas.

----------

Quote:
Keep in mind that the current government in Gaza drove the moderate government out in a violent military coup
Hamas had previously won a democratic election to rule Palestine - largely down to Fatah's corruption.

Quote:
when they started talking peace with Israel.
Err, source?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:02 PM   #23
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
This is neither true of people or governments
Well I did say hope...
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:23 PM   #24
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
So many things wrong with this very biased statement. But due to medical issues I've been ordered by doctors to stop engaging in heated debates.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:40 PM   #25
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
If you want to know why there is no peace in the mid-east it's because people outside the mid-east continue to feed the conflict with their own hate.
No its because the Israeli government doesn't want peace.

We can argue about whether Hamas will agree to reasonable terms until the cows go home - and I suggest we don't discuss that further. Hamas certainly have a current ceasefire with Israel - which is the usual reasonable pre-condition for talks.

However the Israelis could stop building settlements (as the whole international community, including the US, says they should) and get everyone (including Hamas) round the table.

Then worst case you can agree peace with the Arabs and Fatah in the west bank - which would be a huge step forward - and make it clear that Hamas was the only sticking point.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
So many things wrong with this very biased statement.
So the settlement construction has stopped and Israel is directly talking to everyone next week?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues