Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
My iPhone will regularly skip lettres I'm typing when I type "fast". Words like for, for example, will come out like or. My touchscreen itself seems to be fine but the keyboard just hates my when I type fast. Why is this?

I'm also pretty sure it's not just me typing badly. I tried typing the word for like 20 times in a row and the only typo between all those words would always be "or" (without autocorrect).

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't have this problem, I guess I don't type fast enough. If it only happens when you are typing fast, then just slow down a bit. I'd rather take a little longer to type my message and get it accurate than type fast and have it full of errors.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I don't have this problem, I guess I don't type fast enough. If it only happens when you are typing fast, then just slow down a bit. I'd rather take a little longer to type my message and get it accurate than type fast and have it full of errors.

Well for me typing fast is just how I type normally. I'd hate to slow down my typing cause my iPhone isn't fast enough.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Okay I've tried to reproduce it at the store and all of the iPhones I tested it on seemed to have the "issue". Altough the iPhone 5's seemed to have it a bit less.

I'm almost 100% it is due to the iPhone thinking the touches are from the same finger when pressed that fast which causes the letter to be replaced by the new one.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'm almost 100% it is due to the iPhone thinking the touches are from the same finger when pressed that fast which causes the letter to be replaced by the new one.

That could be it. The phone may think that some of the touches are incidental therefore ignore them when you're typing really fast.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I've noticed keyboard issues on my 4S, but I think it's software. I got my 4S and it was on iOS 5.1.1 and did not have a single keyboard issues. But since I updated to iOS 6, the keyboard mistakes my O's for I's, or A's for S's. It also miss auto correct, like "I'll-ill" or it gives me "we're" when I want "were" and vice-versa.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I've noticed keyboard issues on my 4S, but I think it's software. I got my 4S and it was on iOS 5.1.1 and did not have a single keyboard issues. But since I updated to iOS 6, the keyboard mistakes my O's for I's, or A's for S's. It also miss auto correct, like "I'll-ill" or it gives me "we're" when I want "were" and vice-versa.

I've noticed a slow down with mine...Boy I miss swiftkey 3 on my old gs3.

I wish apple would buy swiftkey and let us use it.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I think this really might be an iOS 6 issue. While I didn't have an iPhone before iOS 6, I can't imagine me being the only one who types this fast and therefor if this issue has been there all along, this should've been pointed out much earlier. And not only that but iOS was also appraised for its smoothness and for its fast responding keyboard, so I really believe this is a software issue rather then hardware.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Okay even if I type pretty damn slowly, if my fingers tap the screen with too little time in between my iPhone will still skip letters occasianally. Please tell me more people are noticing this.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Not having any issues with touchscreen responsiveness on my 4. Haha. Well, that is, except if it's lagging badly because the phone is overwhelmed by the task it's doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.