Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:38 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Patent Watch: Offline iTunes Store Purchases, Proximity-Based Media Transfer Between Devices

Among Apple's granted patents released today, AppleInsider has noted a pair of inventions that appear to be of some interest. The first patent addresses the idea of offline iTunes Store purchases from mobile devices, allowing users to store "credit" that can unlock content already on their devices but not yet owned by the user.
Quote:
In some cases, a user may wish to add new media items to the library, for example from an online media store. When the device is not connected to the store, however, the user may not be able to perform a transaction to purchase new media items, nor download or access the media items from the store. To enable offline purchases of media, the electronic device can store locally for future use one or more recommended media items received from the store when a connection with the store is available. Access to the recommended media items can be restricted, so that the user cannot consume the media items without first purchasing them.

To complete a media item purchase without sending transaction information to the media store, the electronic device can store pre-paid credits locally on the device. The pre-paid credits can be purchased in advance, for example when the device is connected to the store. In response to a user request to purchase a particular recommended media item, the electronic device can deduct the cost of the recommended media item from the locally stored credit, and remove the access restrictions of the device. The amount of credit remaining can be communicated to the store or to a host device (e.g., used to manage the user's media library) when communications become available.
The difficult part of this scenario involves getting the content onto the user's device, and Apple's patent addresses several methods, including manual loading of files either from the Internet before going offline or from other storage devices. Alternatively, the user's device could automatically pre-download content based on Genius-like recommendations or other criteria and offer the content for on-device purchase.

While Wi-Fi hotspots have become increasingly common to allow iPod touch or Wi-Fi iPad owners to connect to the Internet with some level of regularity, it appears that Apple is still interested in exploring ways to allow users to unlock new media content even when not connected to the Internet.

The second patent describes a proximity-based method for transferring files between devices, such as a computer and a mobile device. While a number of existing solutions such as Bump and Samsung's S Beam allow for such actions, Apple's patent includes a contextual aspect that allows for very specific transfer scenarios to simplify the user experience.

In one simple example outlined by Apple, a user composing an email on his or her Mac wishes to add an image from their phone. Under the proposed method, the user could select the insertion location in the email, use a contextual menu to invoke an insertion option, bring up the desired image on their phone, and then bring the phone in close proximity to the Mac.

Using a combination of proximity and communication technologies such as Bluetooth, near field communication (NFC) technology, Wi-Fi, and or a webcam, the image could then be automatically and wirelessly transferred to the computer and inserted into the email at the proper location.

Article Link: Apple Patent Watch: Offline iTunes Store Purchases, Proximity-Based Media Transfer Between Devices
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:44 AM   #2
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
That proximity-based transfer would come in handy for a smartwatch.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:44 AM   #3
cambox
macrumors regular

Maybe I could draw a new Mac Pro? Would that get it sorted quicker??
cambox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:46 AM   #4
charlituna
macrumors G3

I'm seeing a touch of Lala here. That service had a lower price streaming from web scheme. This version would be a free or low price load for offline listening perhaps with a track limit, days limit, device limit or all three. Say like for free you can download up to 20 tracks to a single device and have them for 14 days. Rather like the Lala one time full play feature once you have offlined a track you can't again off that Apple ID ever or at least for like 90 days or something.

But if you really like the song and want to make it permanent you can buy it. To make it easier you can do the buy offline that way you don't forget before the 14 days is up and the next time you go online the system updates your account.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:46 AM   #5
OtherJesus
macrumors regular

Bring it on!
OtherJesus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Razeus
macrumors 68040

$1.69?

oh, oh.
Razeus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:48 AM   #7
jonAppleSeed
macrumors regular

Doesn't "Bump" already do the proximity thing?
jonAppleSeed is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Squilly
macrumors 68020

First patent: offline gift card
Second patent: Apple, you're a little late...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:49 AM   #9
elvetio
macrumors member

I
elvetio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambox View Post
Way too many Mac Pro comments around here...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Way too many Mac Pro comments around here...
I count ONE Mac Pro comment.

Too many for you???
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:52 AM   #12
babyj
macrumors 6502a

How is any of that patentable? They're just specific use cases based on ideas and technologies that already exist and are already in use.

Last edited by babyj; Apr 9, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
babyj is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 09:55 AM   #13
litmag01
macrumors regular

This might be nice for purchasing content too large to immediatly download on cellular networks.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:01 AM   #14
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
That offline purchase idea could be used all over the iPhone even when connected to the Internet to allow instantaneous downloads. App Updates could be pre downloaded when you're connected to Wifi so that all that happens when you tap update is it swaps the locations of the old and new versions (meaning it could also also allow you to revert to prior versions if new versions have bugs.)

In fact, that's a key idea in an app I'm making right now.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:04 AM   #15
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post

Too many for you???
Yours makes three.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:07 AM   #16
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
proximity based transfer of content... sounds novel

Samsung S Beam

oh, wait.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:17 AM   #17
carlgo
macrumors 68000

No, a future iDevice will have tons of storage and will hold the entire iTunes catalogue. Then, wherever you are you can buy a tune, which essentially activates one that is already there. Whenever you do wander over near WiFi the cloud downloads any new tunes, etc. so that your device will always be filled with the latest and greatest.

I patent that, but only if somebody else patents teeny mass storage.

Or, wait, the proximity thing...to transfer purchased iTunes easily from one iDevice to another. Kids will really, really like hand-me-down music from their parents...and can more easily pass around nekkid photos of their classmates.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:24 AM   #18
jonAppleSeed
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post
No, a future iDevice will have tons of storage and will hold the entire iTunes catalogue. Then, wherever you are you can buy a tune, which essentially activates one that is already there. Whenever you do wander over near WiFi the cloud downloads any new tunes, etc. so that your device will always be filled with the latest and greatest.

I patent that, but only if somebody else patents teeny mass storage.

Or, wait, the proximity thing...to transfer purchased iTunes easily from one iDevice to another. Kids will really, really like hand-me-down music from their parents...and can more easily pass around nekkid photos of their classmates.
Holographic postage stamp as storage that holds 1^10^10000 PB

I patent that
jonAppleSeed is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:26 AM   #19
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambox View Post
Quote:

Too many for you???
I believe he's referring to the entire MacRumors forums. People are posting complaining about a lack of a new Mac Pro even in threads that have nothing remotely to do with a Mac Pro. At least the "Safari is snappier" post can sometimes be humorous and can fit into most threads subject. The Mac Pro post are just sad when people post them for the sake of posting them.

As far as the original topic that we should be discussing, I agree that this patent technology would work well for an iWatch.

Last edited by Plutonius; Apr 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:35 AM   #20
Mwongozi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
proximity based transfer of content... sounds novel

Samsung S Beam

oh, wait.
Yeah, you know, the thing that was mentioned in the article?
Mwongozi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:36 AM   #21
efktd
macrumors regular

Take genius out of the ecosystem please. Match and everything else would be so much better.
efktd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:40 AM   #22
RaggieSoft
macrumors member

Idea for Limited Space

So I'm running low on room on my iPhone. Let me buy a movie, for example, and set it to download to my laptop and not my iPhone.

Now THAT would be a great idea
RaggieSoft is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:43 AM   #23
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Too many for you???
I count 10 of your comments on 9 of my threads -_-
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:46 AM   #24
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 65816

This is looking good, smells like innovation.
TheAppleFairy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:48 AM   #25
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Well, lets turn these patents into products I can use
KdParker is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion