Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5, second faulty lock button

Good morning, MacRumors.

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love my iPhone 5. I'm not here to go on about how "this would have never happened under Jobs", "Apple's quality control is slipping", and other common and overused statements that quite frankly, aren't true.

I am, however, a little concerned that I have had two different iPhone 5's with the exact same issue- a lock button that slowly craps out. Everything starts out fine, then after about two months or so, the lock button begins intermittently failing. It gets worse and worse to the point that it works only once out of every four or so tries. And on some occasions, it wakes the phone, but the screen turns on at a brightness level lower than what can be achieved by using the slider in settings. Strange.

I treat all my devices with the utmost care (this iPhone has never been dropped or bumped), and I have never had this issue on any other iOS device I have owned. So is this something related to the way the iPhone 5 is manufactured? Possibly the case I am using (a soft silicone case) contributes to the issue? Either way, it's not the end of the world, by any means. I'm just curious to see if there's something I'm missing here.
Tubamajuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

Just because you have 2 phones with this issue doesn't mean it's widespread. If it were, this forum would have the pitchforks out.

You just got unlucky. Get an exchange.
cruzmisl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:23 AM   #3
NikeTalk
macrumors 6502a

I have the same stupid issue. My phone has some scratches on the back but they clearly didn't lead to my lock button crapping out so I should be able to get an exchange right?

And i'm sure this is a widespread issue, happened on my 4 also. So I know it happens frequently on other 5's.
NikeTalk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:27 AM   #4
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Is it jailbroken? That can happen if you jailbreak it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:31 AM   #5
alphaod
macrumors Core

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you, but I imagine you should have no issue getting a replacement device that alleviates this issue.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:34 AM   #6
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

Yeah I would get another replacement. Probably not widespread or else "Lock-button-gate" would already have made it to the dictionary by now.

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:37 AM   #7
bigcstyle4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeTalk View Post
I have the same stupid issue. My phone has some scratches on the back but they clearly didn't lead to my lock button crapping out so I should be able to get an exchange right?
You should be fine. I had a pretty good ding on the corner near the sleep/wake button and they didn't say anything about it when I got it replaced.
bigcstyle4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
Hahaha thats funny. My lock button got stuck on my perfect condition, never dropped iPhone 4S, the day I jailbroke it!
Mlrollin91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:18 PM   #9
LostMyiPhone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubamajuba View Post
Good morning, MacRumors.

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love my iPhone 5. I'm not here to go on about how "this would have never happened under Jobs", "Apple's quality control is slipping", and other common and overused statements that quite frankly, aren't true.
I don't think those statements "aren't true". I think that the QC is slipping. This happened to me on my perfect launch-day iPhone 5 after just a couple of months (never dropped/abused). They sent me one with a horribly noticable yellow tinge to the screen. Then they sent me one with a rear-facing camera that was all jacked up and off-center (leading to crooked pictures). I still have the one with the yellow tinge to the screen. I'm going to keep it until the power button breaks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl View Post
Just because you have 2 phones with this issue doesn't mean it's widespread. If it were, this forum would have the pitchforks out.

You just got unlucky. Get an exchange.
It's not widespread but it's a common thing. Search it... it's pretty predominant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
Not sure if serious or LOL.... these two things are not related.

OP, I'm with you. I expressed to Apple while on the phone with CS that I moved away from android because of the crappy software (have you USED a Samsung fascinate on Android 2.1?!?!) and now I'm diappointed because of the faulty hardware that Apple has been sending me.

P.S. I don't care what you have to say about the issues I've had. Apple values my iPhone at $932.63. There's absolutely NO denying that the power button broke and that it's not an isolated issue. The yellow screen... well, that issue by nature is a bit more subjective but I have pictures that CLEARLY show the difference and yellow hue to the screen. Anyone who saw it in person would verify. It looks bad. Period. And for $932, it shouldn't look that way. I don't care if it *IS* a mass-produced device... Finally, there is NO DENYING that the 3rd phone they sent me had a bad camera. It made all kinds of noise around the camera like there was loose change in there (my theory is that it was not fully/properly attached to the board) and if you looked at it, the lens was not centered. The pictures were horribly angled and it gave a weird depth effect to them. I do see this as more of an isolated issue however.
LostMyiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

I appreciate all of the responses. I do suppose I just got unlucky this time, and I'll be heading back to the Apple Store ASAP for another replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyiPhone View Post
I don't think those statements "aren't true". I think that the QC is slipping. This happened to me on my perfect launch-day iPhone 5 after just a couple of months (never dropped/abused). They sent me one with a horribly noticable yellow tinge to the screen. Then they sent me one with a rear-facing camera that was all jacked up and off-center (leading to crooked pictures). I still have the one with the yellow tinge to the screen. I'm going to keep it until the power button breaks again.

OP, I'm with you. I expressed to Apple while on the phone with CS that I moved away from android because of the crappy software (have you USED a Samsung fascinate on Android 2.1?!?!) and now I'm diappointed because of the faulty hardware that Apple has been sending me.

P.S. I don't care what you have to say about the issues I've had. Apple values my iPhone at $932.63. There's absolutely NO denying that the power button broke and that it's not an isolated issue. The yellow screen... well, that issue by nature is a bit more subjective but I have pictures that CLEARLY show the difference and yellow hue to the screen. Anyone who saw it in person would verify. It looks bad. Period. And for $932, it shouldn't look that way. I don't care if it *IS* a mass-produced device... Finally, there is NO DENYING that the 3rd phone they sent me had a bad camera. It made all kinds of noise around the camera like there was loose change in there (my theory is that it was not fully/properly attached to the board) and if you looked at it, the lens was not centered. The pictures were horribly angled and it gave a weird depth effect to them. I do see this as more of an isolated issue however.
If there is a QC issue, maybe it only affects people like us that intensely scrutinize our products. I too would complain about a screen that is too yellow, but most people wouldn't even notice. So it just comes down to what you're willing to accept- and that is different for everybody. Certainly though, a broken lock button is kind of a showstopping "bug" for me. And there are no excuses whatsoever for the bad camera you had, of course. In the end, mass production is inherently sloppy to a degree- and as long as Apple is willing to exchange faulty and subpar devices, I will happily keep buying Apple products.
Tubamajuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:43 PM   #11
LostMyiPhone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubamajuba View Post
In the end, mass production is inherently sloppy to a degree- and as long as Apple is willing to exchange faulty and subpar devices, I will happily keep buying Apple products.
Hit the nail on the head...

Apple Customer Service has been nothing less than 100% excellent in terms of satisfying me as the customer. They were willing to send me yet another iPhone (4th one) but I have yet to pursue that.
LostMyiPhone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Not a widespread issue. Just get a replacement phone and move on.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:18 PM   #13
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

I meant the screen dimming, Jailbreak can cause the screen to dim randomly
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:59 PM   #14
dellAbait
macrumors member

im on my second iphone5 for this same issue. Im at the point where i expect the replacement to fail too.
dellAbait is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:02 PM   #15
alice04
macrumors regular

Mine is perfectly fine, no issues at all I didnt jailbreak my iPhone coz I'm scared. lol! good thing nothing is wrong with my phone.
alice04 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:35 AM   #16
ec51
macrumors 6502

Launch day iPhone 5 with same issue here.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:15 PM   #17
MsRandall
macrumors 6502

My launch day iphone 5 had the same issue over the last 2 weeks. It was replaced yesterday with a white box...now I am golden.
MsRandall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:31 AM   #18
LostMyiPhone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellAbait View Post
im on my second iphone5 for this same issue. Im at the point where i expect the replacement to fail too.
Honestly, I kinda wonder if my replacement phone's power button will fail over time too. I'll be rather ticked if it does and I will express this to
Apple.
LostMyiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:59 AM   #19
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

This actually is a pretty common issue. We have seen plenty of iPhone 5's come in for power button replacements because of the same issue you are describing. We point these customers in Apple's direction because it is a defect that they take care of right away. I can tell you from personal experience as well that Apple will replace your device free of charge if it has the power button issue.
iRepairParts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:08 AM   #20
drlunanerd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepairParts View Post
This actually is a pretty common issue. We have seen plenty of iPhone 5's come in for power button replacements because of the same issue you are describing. We point these customers in Apple's direction because it is a defect that they take care of right away. I can tell you from personal experience as well that Apple will replace your device free of charge if it has the power button issue.
This.
I just had a launch day iPhone 5 exhibit power button randomness.
AppleCare express replaced it within 24 hours no questions asked.
drlunanerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:55 PM   #21
TaEbOm
macrumors member

I had this problem on my launch day iphone. Searching the forums and the web this is a problem many others are having. I just got it replaced for free at Verizon because it is still under warranty. I'm just hoping my replacement won't crap out on me because i would have to buy a new glass screen protector
TaEbOm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:04 PM   #22
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Had the same problem. Power button got stuck so I traded for another one. I'm already on my 5th iPhone with problems
Grolubao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:10 PM   #23
Sebct
macrumors member

I have exactly this problem. It started a while ago and has since become really bad.

Who do I contact for a replacement. My provider (Vodafone) or take it to an apple store?

Seb

iPad Air - iPhone 5S - MBP 17", 2.4 Ghz - iMac 20" - MBA 13" 2011 - Mac Pro - Dual Apple 30" Displays
Sebct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:55 PM   #24
seble
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebct View Post
I have exactly this problem. It started a while ago and has since become really bad.

Who do I contact for a replacement. My provider (Vodafone) or take it to an apple store?

Seb
Take it to an apple store. Theyll swap out the phone for you. Going through Vodafone is just unwarranted hassle.

Seb (we share the same name )
seble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:26 PM   #25
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't worry about this.
As others have said, just pop into an apple store and get them to swap it out for you, I'm sure you must've had a bad streak.
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone