Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
here
Good morning, MacRumors.

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love my iPhone 5. I'm not here to go on about how "this would have never happened under Jobs", "Apple's quality control is slipping", and other common and overused statements that quite frankly, aren't true.

I am, however, a little concerned that I have had two different iPhone 5's with the exact same issue- a lock button that slowly craps out. Everything starts out fine, then after about two months or so, the lock button begins intermittently failing. It gets worse and worse to the point that it works only once out of every four or so tries. And on some occasions, it wakes the phone, but the screen turns on at a brightness level lower than what can be achieved by using the slider in settings. Strange.

I treat all my devices with the utmost care (this iPhone has never been dropped or bumped), and I have never had this issue on any other iOS device I have owned. So is this something related to the way the iPhone 5 is manufactured? Possibly the case I am using (a soft silicone case) contributes to the issue? Either way, it's not the end of the world, by any means. I'm just curious to see if there's something I'm missing here.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Just because you have 2 phones with this issue doesn't mean it's widespread. If it were, this forum would have the pitchforks out.

You just got unlucky. Get an exchange.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I have the same stupid issue. My phone has some scratches on the back but they clearly didn't lead to my lock button crapping out so I should be able to get an exchange right?

And i'm sure this is a widespread issue, happened on my 4 also. So I know it happens frequently on other 5's.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you, but I imagine you should have no issue getting a replacement device that alleviates this issue.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Yeah I would get another replacement. Probably not widespread or else "Lock-button-gate" would already have made it to the dictionary by now.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
I have the same stupid issue. My phone has some scratches on the back but they clearly didn't lead to my lock button crapping out so I should be able to get an exchange right?

You should be fine. I had a pretty good ding on the corner near the sleep/wake button and they didn't say anything about it when I got it replaced.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Good morning, MacRumors.

Let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love my iPhone 5. I'm not here to go on about how "this would have never happened under Jobs", "Apple's quality control is slipping", and other common and overused statements that quite frankly, aren't true.

I don't think those statements "aren't true". I think that the QC is slipping. This happened to me on my perfect launch-day iPhone 5 after just a couple of months (never dropped/abused). They sent me one with a horribly noticable yellow tinge to the screen. Then they sent me one with a rear-facing camera that was all jacked up and off-center (leading to crooked pictures). I still have the one with the yellow tinge to the screen. I'm going to keep it until the power button breaks again.

Just because you have 2 phones with this issue doesn't mean it's widespread. If it were, this forum would have the pitchforks out.

You just got unlucky. Get an exchange.

It's not widespread but it's a common thing. Search it... it's pretty predominant.

Is it jailbroken? That can happen if you jailbreak it.

Not sure if serious or LOL.... these two things are not related.

OP, I'm with you. I expressed to Apple while on the phone with CS that I moved away from android because of the crappy software (have you USED a Samsung fascinate on Android 2.1?!?!) and now I'm diappointed because of the faulty hardware that Apple has been sending me.

P.S. I don't care what you have to say about the issues I've had. Apple values my iPhone at $932.63. There's absolutely NO denying that the power button broke and that it's not an isolated issue. The yellow screen... well, that issue by nature is a bit more subjective but I have pictures that CLEARLY show the difference and yellow hue to the screen. Anyone who saw it in person would verify. It looks bad. Period. And for $932, it shouldn't look that way. I don't care if it *IS* a mass-produced device... Finally, there is NO DENYING that the 3rd phone they sent me had a bad camera. It made all kinds of noise around the camera like there was loose change in there (my theory is that it was not fully/properly attached to the board) and if you looked at it, the lens was not centered. The pictures were horribly angled and it gave a weird depth effect to them. I do see this as more of an isolated issue however.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
here
I appreciate all of the responses. I do suppose I just got unlucky this time, and I'll be heading back to the Apple Store ASAP for another replacement.

I don't think those statements "aren't true". I think that the QC is slipping. This happened to me on my perfect launch-day iPhone 5 after just a couple of months (never dropped/abused). They sent me one with a horribly noticable yellow tinge to the screen. Then they sent me one with a rear-facing camera that was all jacked up and off-center (leading to crooked pictures). I still have the one with the yellow tinge to the screen. I'm going to keep it until the power button breaks again.

OP, I'm with you. I expressed to Apple while on the phone with CS that I moved away from android because of the crappy software (have you USED a Samsung fascinate on Android 2.1?!?!) and now I'm diappointed because of the faulty hardware that Apple has been sending me.

P.S. I don't care what you have to say about the issues I've had. Apple values my iPhone at $932.63. There's absolutely NO denying that the power button broke and that it's not an isolated issue. The yellow screen... well, that issue by nature is a bit more subjective but I have pictures that CLEARLY show the difference and yellow hue to the screen. Anyone who saw it in person would verify. It looks bad. Period. And for $932, it shouldn't look that way. I don't care if it *IS* a mass-produced device... Finally, there is NO DENYING that the 3rd phone they sent me had a bad camera. It made all kinds of noise around the camera like there was loose change in there (my theory is that it was not fully/properly attached to the board) and if you looked at it, the lens was not centered. The pictures were horribly angled and it gave a weird depth effect to them. I do see this as more of an isolated issue however.

If there is a QC issue, maybe it only affects people like us that intensely scrutinize our products. I too would complain about a screen that is too yellow, but most people wouldn't even notice. So it just comes down to what you're willing to accept- and that is different for everybody. Certainly though, a broken lock button is kind of a showstopping "bug" for me. And there are no excuses whatsoever for the bad camera you had, of course. In the end, mass production is inherently sloppy to a degree- and as long as Apple is willing to exchange faulty and subpar devices, I will happily keep buying Apple products.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
In the end, mass production is inherently sloppy to a degree- and as long as Apple is willing to exchange faulty and subpar devices, I will happily keep buying Apple products.

Hit the nail on the head...

Apple Customer Service has been nothing less than 100% excellent in terms of satisfying me as the customer. They were willing to send me yet another iPhone (4th one) but I have yet to pursue that.

dellAbait

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
im on my second iphone5 for this same issue. Im at the point where i expect the replacement to fail too.

alice04

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2013
Mine is perfectly fine, no issues at all :) I didnt jailbreak my iPhone coz I'm scared. lol! good thing nothing is wrong with my phone.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
My launch day iphone 5 had the same issue over the last 2 weeks. It was replaced yesterday with a white box...now I am golden. :D

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
im on my second iphone5 for this same issue. Im at the point where i expect the replacement to fail too.

Honestly, I kinda wonder if my replacement phone's power button will fail over time too. I'll be rather ticked if it does and I will express this to
Apple.

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
This actually is a pretty common issue. We have seen plenty of iPhone 5's come in for power button replacements because of the same issue you are describing. We point these customers in Apple's direction because it is a defect that they take care of right away. I can tell you from personal experience as well that Apple will replace your device free of charge if it has the power button issue.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
This actually is a pretty common issue. We have seen plenty of iPhone 5's come in for power button replacements because of the same issue you are describing. We point these customers in Apple's direction because it is a defect that they take care of right away. I can tell you from personal experience as well that Apple will replace your device free of charge if it has the power button issue.

This.
I just had a launch day iPhone 5 exhibit power button randomness.
AppleCare express replaced it within 24 hours no questions asked.

TaEbOm

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
I had this problem on my launch day iphone. Searching the forums and the web this is a problem many others are having. I just got it replaced for free at Verizon because it is still under warranty. I'm just hoping my replacement won't crap out on me because i would have to buy a new glass screen protector :(

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Had the same problem. Power button got stuck so I traded for another one. I'm already on my 5th iPhone with problems

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.
I have exactly this problem. It started a while ago and has since become really bad.

Who do I contact for a replacement. My provider (Vodafone) or take it to an apple store?

Seb

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I have exactly this problem. It started a while ago and has since become really bad.

Who do I contact for a replacement. My provider (Vodafone) or take it to an apple store?

Seb

Take it to an apple store. Theyll swap out the phone for you. Going through Vodafone is just unwarranted hassle.

Seb (we share the same name ;) )

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I wouldn't worry about this.
As others have said, just pop into an apple store and get them to swap it out for you, I'm sure you must've had a bad streak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.