Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbroadcast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Hello,

I was hoping someone could walk me through how to export a final project for Youtube, DVD and a website. These files are going to be handed off to someone else, so I'm not looking to directly post or author a DVD at thsi time. The final project is two hours long, so I understand it will need to be split up at some point. Using FCP X 10.0.7

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I have just recently seen a nice video on how to create an exporting target that will create all the files for you. This is very comfortable if you do this more often:

Other than that: Exporting in FCPX is pretty straight forward, they have nicely working presets for most things. If you want more control over quality and filesize, you will have to go via Compressor.

sbroadcast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
I have just recently seen a nice video on how to create an exporting target that will create all the files for you. This is very comfortable if you do this more often:
YouTube: video

Other than that: Exporting in FCPX is pretty straight forward, they have nicely working presets for most things. If you want more control over quality and filesize, you will have to go via Compressor.

Thank you for the response and video.

The thing I don't understand is how can you turn off FCP trying to share and post to your accounts, lets say youtube for example. I just want to create the files for youtube and then give it to someone else to use as they see fit. Is there a step I'm missing?

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
The thing I don't understand is how can you turn off FCP trying to share and post to your accounts, lets say youtube for example. I just want to create the files for youtube and then give it to someone else to use as they see fit. Is there a step I'm missing?

I just took a quick look and I actually don't think that's possible. I never bothered to check, since I have Compressor and use it for all my exports but there seems to be no simple way for this. There is the option to just export as Quicktime Movie, and there you can pick H.264 as the codec, which is at least something, but there is no way to control the bitrate and you end up with a pretty big file.

So, I have two options for you: Either buy Compressor (which is very neat, by the way) or you can just export as "Quicktime (original file)" which will be huge but with very little quality loss. Then you open the file with Quicktime (you can actually check the box to have it opened automatically after export) and in Quicktime choose "File->Export for Web" and pick whatever sizes you want.

Other than that, you can just try to not put in youtube Account information (make a new youtube target and leave it empty) and see where the file ends up. But I haven't tried that...

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.