Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:52 PM   #101
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
This video suits this article quite nicely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBP18nrRdw
Lol lol

----------

What ever!!!!
Dominicanyor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:54 PM   #102
Padraig
macrumors 6502a

They're going to have to go with a new resolution if they're going for a 5inch phone. 264ppi is getting into budget territory now, given the amount of 1080p phones that are arriving it'll be positively archaic by the time this new iPhone arrives. Also, aspect ratio needs to change.
Padraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:54 PM   #103
wkadamsjr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
The Galaxy GS3 sales prove that people don't like this method.

I bought a 46" TV because I don't want to have to be close to it to use it. And guess what: it still fits in my TV stand!
And how often does your TV move from that stand? That logic doesn't apply to phones. Some people want a huge screen; others prefer a phone with a smaller screen size. IMO, 5 inches is a ridiculously large screen, and the mock-up only supports this.
wkadamsjr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:58 PM   #104
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

I would love to get those printed and I will intentionally leave one on a bar.
PinoyAko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:58 PM   #105
bossxii
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by prfrma View Post
Or you could just get a newly released htc one.
Ya... of course, no one on a "Mac"rumors site cares about the OS and eco system their smartphone runs on.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:59 PM   #106
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
In a world where manufacturers are coming out with 468ppi devices, a regression from retina displays would be incredibly stupid.
Except that 468ppi is pointless. If to my eye the screen looks perfect and I don't see any pixels, why do I care? I would prefer that stick with logical PPI and give me an awesome screen then try and be the everyone else.

It's the spec race all over, I would much rather have a lower Megapixel camera that takes good pics then a high Megapixel camera that takes alright pics.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:59 PM   #107
Limboistik
macrumors regular

PDF links are broken...
Limboistik is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:00 PM   #108
Zyphras
Banned

I don't understand this claim about not being able to increase the resolution of the iPhone proportionally without causing problems.

Surely all that would be required would be for developers to run their existing apps at a slightly higher resolution would be to simply click "rebuild" in Xcode (with perhaps some tidying up of code/App layout) to make their Apps capable of running at the new, higher resolution. I also fail to see how a graphically powerful new iPhone with a higher proportional screen resolution could not smoothly scale apps that have not been rebuilt for that new resolution yet (if that's the worst case of Apple fragmentation possible in this scenario, then it's not a big deal).

I think it's perfectly possible to have a larger-screened iPhone 6/iPhone Plus without lowering the pixel density. Surely it isn't an enormous technical challenge. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple were to do this.

Also this MR article leaves out one thing: a larger-screened iPhone would undoubtedly be thinner.

Last edited by Zyphras; Feb 19, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Zyphras is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:01 PM   #109
kirk26
macrumors 6502a

One of the reasons I gave up my iPhone 5 was that after months of its release apps still weren't updated to fit the 4" screen.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:02 PM   #110
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Oh man. Just go to a cell service provider and use one of the ones on display for a few minutes.

This could be a great trick to play on someone. Tell them you are giving them a free iphone 5.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:03 PM   #111
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
OK, I downloaded and made one but I can't get it to turn off. WTF?
You are holding it wrong
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:06 PM   #112
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhysicist View Post
...the cheaper iPhone revealed. Not made of plastics but of paper. Magical!
So what, Samsung will make their out of wood!

There take that for better specs!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:08 PM   #113
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacaramac View Post
Except that 468ppi is pointless. If to my eye the screen looks perfect and I don't see any pixels, why do I care? I would prefer that stick with logical PPI and give me an awesome screen then try and be the everyone else.

It's the spec race all over, I would much rather have a lower Megapixel camera that takes good pics then a high Megapixel camera that takes alright pics.
I agree that 468ppi is pointless. However, it would be incredibly stupid to release a phone with anything less than a retina display.
cmChimera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:14 PM   #114
dBeats
macrumors 6502

A bigger phone isn't the answer. Fortunately, Apple understands this. The blogosphere/twitterscape/technocrati seem to think a giant phone is better, but again think about the target user and his or her experience. The real people (let's call them the 95%ers) who pay for these phones want it to fit in a pocket and use with one hand. 95% of 300 million people is a whole lot more than 5% of 300 million.
dBeats is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:17 PM   #115
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Thanks Macrumors, but PLEASE HELP !!!!

I just spent the last hour cutting this out with a craft knife and gluing it all together very carefully and precisely...

----

But there is something seriously wrong here...

No matter what I do the phone seems to be stuck on the home screen and I can't make a call ????? I wonder is it 'jailbroken' ?
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:24 PM   #116
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser45 View Post
At this point, the size is only half the equation. iOS is getting more and more dated by the day.

Without a major iOS overhaul, I don't think they are going to capture any new marketshare.
stock it is. jailbroken it is beautiful
x-evil-x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:48 PM   #117
Rogue.
macrumors regular

Now all I need it that papercraft life size 'Ferrari 458 Italia' to see if it suits me
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:54 PM   #118
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
It would be a mistake to launch a cheap Iphone and same for one that's too large.

Even Ipad mini should never have been launched in my opinion.

The problem is the people in charge of Apple would rather copy rivals now rather than focus on what makes Apple products good. Apple always had features missing from Samsung phones or smaller screens and it never affected sales before.

There's a recognition now that phones are becoming too big. Sooner or later Samsung will release a flop..I hear the S4 will be about 5" which is strange given most think the current model is too big hence the Mini galaxy model.
So a wildly popular product should have never been launched?

Makes perfect sense!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
I agree that 468ppi is pointless. However, it would be incredibly stupid to release a phone with anything less than a retina display.
Especially when the competition is releasing 1080p and the best you can offer is 640p.

These things will be found in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart if they are released with such inferior displays. No way will apple move backwards with phone display tech.
Spungoflex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:56 PM   #119
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by prfrma View Post
Or you could just get a newly released htc one.
Yes, how dare anyone want a single feature from a competitor, they should go completely to that competitor.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:01 PM   #120
jbenkelman
macrumors regular

I have to much time on my hands today apparently. I could get used to this size screen.

I am still looking for something that can gives is that Apple "wow" factor with the next iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	398083  
jbenkelman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:03 PM   #121
maxosx
macrumors 68020

It appears to be Magical. Steve would be proud.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkelman View Post
I am still looking for something that can gives is that Apple "wow" factor with the next iPhone.
The wait could be awfully long
maxosx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:04 PM   #122
orangebluedevil
macrumors 6502

Did they keep the top and bottom bezel the same size as iPhone 5?

Also, did they decrease the side bezels?, we know the new screen tech has improved edges, only requiring 0.5mm past the screen edge.
orangebluedevil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:07 PM   #123
TennisandMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma*Police View Post
We conducted similar usability tests a couple of years ago and found that usability suffered dramatically for most users and the majority said they preferred a smaller screen. However, these users were asked to operate the phone with one hand so they became aware of the benefits and liabilities of a larger display.

I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that the average consumer would be wowed by the larger screen, cos it does look impressive in a lineup and consumers rarely take one handed operation into consideration at the point of sale. It's only when they need to operate it with a cup of coffee in one hand that they realize that the larger screen can actually be a major liability.
This is baloney, my 4.7 inch Nexus 4 is a breeze to use with one hand, texting is EASIER than on my iPhone 5. Place an iPhone 4 on top of a larger phone and you'll see the size difference is actually very small. The best large android phones are well designed with small bezels, and easily fit into your pocket.

All of these lies about larger phones from Apple diehards (not regular fans, just the unreasonable ones) are crazy, and are simply ways to try and convince themselves the 4 inch size is perfect.

P.S. Remember how for YEARS 4 inches was "too big"?
TennisandMusic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:15 PM   #124
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

5.5 inches etc stuff like that is getting ridiculous, I still want to have a phone call without people thinking I am using the dinner tray
SilentLoner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:30 PM   #125
greg78x
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
I printed one out on thick photo paper to try out. I just think it is too big. I bet I use my iPhone 4s 90% of the time with one hand. The commercials are right.
The thing is, whomever created this mock up scaled the entire phone instead of just the screen - so with everything larger (top and bottom bezels, buttons), of course it will feel too big to hold.

A larger screen would have to be compensated by reducing the top and bottom bezels, as was done when evolving the design from the 4S to the 5.

But you still may be right - even after a proper redesign, it may still feel clunky! Depends on how big one's hands are, I guess...
greg78x is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion