Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
l0gikb0mb
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 dying?

After a long day yesterday, my battery died. Came home, plugged it in and it was 9% before I went to bed. It was fully on.

Woke up to no alarm and iphone wouldn't wake from sleep. Didn't turn on either. It finally turned on when I held both lock and home button for 10 seconds.

Once on, it was 100% full charge. What happened??
l0gikb0mb is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:44 PM   #2
miss.manson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to miss.manson
Take it to apple. I would exchange it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
l0gikb0mb
macrumors regular

I thought I might have to. Could it be software though?

Is it common to get a worse "grainy" screen or other defects in the refurbs they give you for warranty replacements?

Edit: it seems after googling more, it looks like this is when iOS crashes so I'm guessing this is a totally software based problem.
l0gikb0mb is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:22 PM   #4
tl01
macrumors 6502a

If it only happened once... I wouldn't stress yet. I've had my phone shut off occasionally. I'd just watch it and set a back up alarm for a few days.
tl01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:47 PM   #5
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure you just need a hard reboot. How many times does your PC/MAC just fail? Tons of times. No reason why a smart phone that is almost like a computer wouldn't.

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:56 AM   #6
canwe3
macrumors member

I made a thread on it too, average about once a month. rare but it happends. The hardware is fine, it's the OS that's crashing I think.
canwe3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:56 PM   #7
l0gikb0mb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by canwe3 View Post
I made a thread on it too, average about once a month. rare but it happends. The hardware is fine, it's the OS that's crashing I think.
So the phone dying and not responding to home or lock button is the crash still? I wouldn't think it's normal that a crash would stop the home and lock button from turning on the device.

Had to hold both down for 10 Sec which is a hard reset I think.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
BigEm
macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to me twice. I noticed it after leaving it charging for too long (a couple of hours after 100%). It seems that it's not just responding to home button or power button presses immediately. I can wake it up by pressing the power button for 5 seconds or more. The screen will just light up then turn off for a split second. After that it will respond normally to home button or power button presses without even doing any hard resets.
It might be a software issue or it's just how it's supposed to work.
BigEm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9
l0gikb0mb
macrumors regular

So this happened again, first time since the thread started. It was during the night like last time, although it wasn't charging all night this time. It was almost 100% before I went to bed again.

What's the deal? I woke up to no alarm again, iPhone wouldn't turn on unless I held both power button and home button for 10 seconds or whatever, a hard reset?

Is this still a software problem? Two times within almost 3 months. Should i get a replacement.
Old May 2, 2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0gikb0mb View Post
So this happened again, first time since the thread started. It was during the night like last time, although it wasn't charging all night this time. It was almost 100% before I went to bed again.

What's the deal? I woke up to no alarm again, iPhone wouldn't turn on unless I held both power button and home button for 10 seconds or whatever, a hard reset?

Is this still a software problem? Two times within almost 3 months. Should i get a replacement.
Try a restore.
Tyler23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone