Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:07 PM   #51
lkrupp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKing View Post
Anyone try to use evasion to jb it ??
And if it does break the jailbreak? Then what? You have to live with the passcode workaround in which someone can break into your iPhone? You have live with compromised battery life and the Exchange bug? Is it really worth it?
lkrupp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:07 PM   #52
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
What a life. Update comes out to fix real bugs, add features, plug security holes, and the jailbreak crowd has to sit back and wait to see if it breaks their hack. And if it does they are stuck in a time warp, their platform is arrested at the version the jailbreak works with, waiting for the hackers to fix their hack if it's even possible. Lather, rinse, repeat. How long did the iOS untethered jailbreak take to release? How many months after iOS 6 came out? What a life, just so you can beat your chest and tell everybody how YOU can do anything you want with your iDevice. Impressive.
This is why I only jailbreak for fun, and try to avoid DEPENDING on a jailbreak for anything.

Right now the nicest thing about my jailbroken iPad is being able to run Google Maps full screen using FullForce. That's literally the ONLY thing I'm doing with the jailbreak that I would miss heavily upon losing it. And maybe Google will release an ipad native version of Maps before then.

Oh, and an SNES emulator. But big whoop, I can play with those on my computer. It's not playable with a touchscreen anyway, so it's more of a "look how cool!" sort of thing.
zorinlynx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:07 PM   #53
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Quote:
And if it does break the jailbreak? Then what? You have to live with the passcode workaround in which someone can break into your iPhone? You have live with compromised battery life and the Exchange bug? Is it really worth it?
Yes, it's worth it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:09 PM   #54
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I don't even trust jailbroken devices that much. That's why I'll jailbreak my iPad but never my iPhone.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:09 PM   #55
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

To all the people asking if evasi0n still works: even if the jailbreak exploit is still present in 6.1.2, evasi0n won't work yet because the team has not updated the software to let 6.1.2 work. evasi0n checks the firmware before jailbreaking.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:09 PM   #56
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJsteveSD View Post
and safari seems quicker!
Snappier.
Safari seems snappier.

C'mon, at least get it right!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:10 PM   #57
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhwoods View Post
Dumb question, you have enough space free to process the update?
Yup, also fully charged and plugged in, not jailbroke or any other funny business. This is a 5G touch.
inscrewtable is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:12 PM   #58
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
I don't even trust jailbroken devices that much. That's why I'll jailbreak my iPad but never my iPhone.
I've been JB'ing since the first release, however I noticed with the recent JB my iPhone 4S, 5 and iPad 2 and 4 were running terribly slow. This is only with the JB and nothing "third party" Cydia wise installed. I also removed "Netatalk" (a Cydia app I liked to use for AFP access) from my iPad's as a test and it still shows up in Finder on the WiFi network. I performed a clean restore of my iPhone's and noticed my battery life was improved immensely and the WiFi was no longer dismally slow.

I checked background processes when JB'en and nothing appeared to the naked eye, which leads me to suspect there is something else going on.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:16 PM   #59
Shearwater
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJsteveSD View Post
and safari seems quicker!
...but sadly,not snappier!....
Shearwater is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:19 PM   #60
MediaMind
macrumors newbie

And still no solution for Wifi and bluetooth problem for iPhone 4S users!
Thank you Apple (sarcastic)!
MediaMind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:20 PM   #61
vartanarsen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiegrad View Post
Yes, it will allow you to use push e-mail for GMail.
Yeah, but ALSO..allows you to sync up google Contacts and Calendars.
The Gmail doesnt.
vartanarsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:21 PM   #62
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What a life. Update comes out to fix real bugs, add features, plug security holes, and the jailbreak crowd has to sit back and wait to see if it breaks their hack. And if it does they are stuck in a time warp, their platform is arrested at the version the jailbreak works with, waiting for the hackers to fix their hack if it's even possible. Lather, rinse, repeat. How long did the iOS untethered jailbreak take to release? How many months after iOS 6 came out? What a life, just so you can beat your chest and tell everybody how YOU can do anything you want with your iDevice. Impressive.
I think you raise a valid point under your mistaken belief people jailbreak to "show off." I actually like some of the jailbreak tweaks and it's worth while. But, I am tired of the cat and mouse and I plan to switch to a Google Nexus phone. Why? iOS has become stale and I am tired of jailbreaking to enable functionality that better my smart phone experience. For example, having to jailbreak in order to share files between apps or to just set a default browser app is an embarrassment to a smart phone OS.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:21 PM   #63
tonyr6
macrumors 6502

I just updated via iTunes. I had to download the over 800 MB file and it took nearly 10 minutes to install but it worked. The stupid OTA update could not install a 12 MB update which is useless. At least I am up to date now.
tonyr6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:23 PM   #64
33man
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
Yeah, but ALSO..allows you to sync up google Contacts and Calendars.
The Gmail doesnt.
Hmm well except mail push, you may use Google Card Dav for contact and Cal Dav for calendar...

Works perfectly without exchange...

i use exchange only for push...
33man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:23 PM   #65
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

Im running the iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 on my Iphone 4S. If i restore on itunes to iOS 6.1.2 do you think my iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 backup will work? i think so. Anyone think otherwise?

Just wondering
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:26 PM   #66
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

Both my iPhone an iPad say 6.1 is up to date...did they pull it since it doesn't really fix it?
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:27 PM   #67
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33man View Post
Hmm well except mail push, you may use Google Card Dav for contact and Cal Dav for calendar...

Works perfectly without exchange...

i use exchange only for push...
I may be wrong but I have multiple calendars and this was the way to get them on the phone?
Aniseedvan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:29 PM   #68
jthompson666
macrumors Demi-God

All you iPod Touch 5G users? Simply KEEP trying.. It took me 5 or 6 attempts over 2 hours (rebooting and general use between attempts) then it just worked. Good Luck
jthompson666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:29 PM   #69
balwx
macrumors regular

just downloaded less that 1 minute
balwx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:29 PM   #70
michelg1970
macrumors regular

Works great 6.1.2 on my iPhone 5 (NOT):

After updating and iTunes reporting that my iPhone is on 6.1.2 it (iTunes) tells me that a software update is available (6.1.2) and then updates to 6.1.2, already 3 times now.

The address of Apple: "1 Infinite Loop" gets a whole new dimension....

Please Mr Apple / Tim, can we go back to the situation of 2 years ago when all was working exactly as planned without "Microsoft-like" surprises....
michelg1970 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:36 PM   #71
jthompson666
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelg1970 View Post
Works great 6.1.2 on my iPhone 5 (NOT):

"Microsoft-like" surprises....
Ahaha I like what you did there! I miss Jobs
jthompson666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:36 PM   #72
Preclaro_tipo
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Preclaro_tipo
Evasi0n Not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by coohou View Post
Is evasi0n working? Thanks.
As I mentioned before, I was forced to restore phone for upgrade to 6.1.2. I restored from backup.

Evasi0n and software not there, and Evasi0n does NOT work for me. I went to the website to get the latest version too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	evasi0nScreenSnapz001.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	398087

On a positive note, my Other space is now a little less than 1 GB instead of 3.5GB.
Preclaro_tipo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:37 PM   #73
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthompson666 View Post
All you iPod Touch 5G users? Simply KEEP trying.. It took me 5 or 6 attempts over 2 hours (rebooting and general use between attempts) then it just worked. Good Luck
Yeah. It's supposed to not work. It makes you appreciate the exclusivity of having a successful update!
bjm2660 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:38 PM   #74
andy2141
macrumors regular

Sounds promising once Evasi0n has been updated.

Tweet from planetbeing..

"Not yet able to test all devices, but it's looking good for 6.1.2. iPad mini wi-fi and iPhone 5 are still jailbreakable."
andy2141 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:38 PM   #75
BradH65
macrumors newbie

Well that was fun and NOT!

Updated iPad 4th Gen with 0 issues, quick, simple and no messing with apps, passwords, accounts...

The iPhone 5-32 however was not so easy (and funnily, the iPad was almost out of room and the iPhone was less than 1/2 full). First time tried to update, error -1, reboot and reset iPhone, this time error 3014 (Both times, iPhone in recovery mode grrr...), turn off mac-mini mid-2011, unplug all USB cables except Lightening cable, start MacMini, turn off dropbox, turn off memory clean, turn off SnagIt, turn off Keycard, in iTunes, eject iPad 4th gen and then proceed with factory restore that actually worked this time and updated the software/firmware... but now I have to spend an hour syncing everything and making sure everything works as it was not to mention put everything back into folders that I had it organized the way I wanted it...

Alas, the upgrade took but was a PITA!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion