Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:03 PM   #76
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
It is what they say.
Bernie Horowitz? Is that you?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:03 PM   #77
i.mac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
No data left apple.... Yea right.
Data stolen fom apple: "we're number one, we are número UNO!"
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:04 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontuwish View Post
State sponsored, PLA unit. They've been doing it for 10 years, ask Nortel...
Just like State-sponsored US cyber/covert operations against "friendly" and "evil" countries out there...just ask the CIA. The only difference is which side you support.
50548 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:05 PM   #79
Giuly
Banned

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Mac's are unhackable they say. Mac's don't break they say. Windows computers are the only one to get hacked they say.
Java is a runtime environment with access to the host system they say. One with many flaws say. And one that can be embedded by any sketchy website they say.

Disable the Java browser plugin (Applications->Utilities->Java Preferences->Untick Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications) and move on?

Last edited by Giuly; Feb 19, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:09 PM   #80
CGagnon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Mac's are unhackable they say. Mac's don't break they say. Windows computers are the only one to get hacked they say.
Security Professional Here.

Technically this is a Java vulnerability not some new OS X 0-day like you constantly see with Windows. Java has always been insecure--that's not Apple's fault.
MP, Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon/64/2048 SSD
CGagnon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:09 PM   #81
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopy Sac View Post
In the 90s it was the Japanese we were terrified of (to this day Japan owns roughly as much US debt as China, both around 7%).

In hindsight the Japanese are much more benevolent rivals than the Chinese. Weird how democracy works that way.
The '80s was Japan's big moment. At that time many people were convinced that Japan had figured it all out, but by the early '90s the Japanese economy was falling into a recession from which they never really recovered. I don't see where benevolence has much to do with it. As for the Chinese, it isn't totally clear what they are stealing, or why. Trying to gain control over power grids and oil pipelines may require hacking into corporate systems, but obviously this isn't entirely about industrial espionage, or maybe not at all.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:11 PM   #82
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No...they don't say that anymore.
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:12 PM   #83
krravi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamole View Post
someone should start hacking chinese companies and their employees
And you will end up with US companies information and their product's blueprints.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark.landon View Post
no...they don't say that anymore.
lol
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:13 PM   #84
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus0r View Post
Apostrophes for plural nouns, you say?
Everyone's possessive of their Macs.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:14 PM   #85
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
The '80s was Japan's big moment. At that time many people were convinced that Japan had figured it all out, but by the early '90s the Japanese economy was falling into a recession from which they never really recovered. I don't see where benevolence has much to do with it. As for the Chinese, it isn't totally clear what they are stealing, or why. Trying to gain control over power grids and oil pipelines may require hacking into corporate systems, but obviously this isn't entirely about industrial espionage, or maybe not at all.
1+ billion Chinese citizens.

It's probably a small group of hackers having fun.
Lark.Landon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:15 PM   #86
damitssam
macrumors 6502

Macs were never unhackable. Just hackers didn't care to hack it since its marketshare was way too low.

Last edited by 840quadra; Feb 19, 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Removed needless trolling comment
damitssam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:16 PM   #87
krravi
macrumors 65816

What gets me is this...

If you have read anything about the NSA(Read "Body of Secrets", forget the author, a great read)... Its supposedly the most massive aggregation of data storage and computing power in the planet. They can read every e-mail, phone conversation and credit card purchase you make (around the WORLD) and actually they supposedly installed a new system that checks purchase patterns even with cash and then the system alerts the concerned people. All transatlantic internet/voice cables exit the sea shore and into AT&T offices where NSA siphons off all the traffic in parallel for analysis. And so on and on....

Then there is this immense brain power. NSA employs the largest number of mathematicians in the world.

With all this power, why can't NSA thwart these hackers? Do they think its child's play and beneath them? If they do, then its about time they got in the game and gave the Chinese hackers a taste of sweet and sour,IP packets.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:16 PM   #88
Peace
macrumors P6

If the Chinese government is doing this then this discussion is going to wind up in the PRSI forums.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:20 PM   #89
mantan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
yeah, I remember reading Michael Crichton's 'Rising Sun' about 20 years ago and how it laid out how America would regret selling so much debt and it's corporate soul to Japan as they would use that leverage and corporate espionage to own America one day.
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:20 PM   #90
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Can we just separate China from the rest of the internet?

They do nothing except hack others. My company has already banned all Chinese ips since all they do is try to hack our systems all day.

Let them have their great firewall.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:21 PM   #91
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Nobody (well, nobody rational) says unhackable. Just that the likelihood was much, much, much lower than Windows machines. It would be like me saying "my neighborhood has been so safe for years that I feel comfortable leaving my doors unlocked all the time". I didn't say my house can't be broken into, just that it has never happened and therefore I don't worry about it.

However, inevitably, once the first few break-ins start, people will start to take more precautions. It's only sensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside guy View Post
Easy fix - turn off Java in your browser. I did that months ago, and at least in my case there's been absolutely no impact - Java's just not used that many places on the web.
Me too, and it hasn't affected me at all. There are pockets of people who will get very upset at you for suggesting this is the solution though, since apparently Java is needed for some people to access their work environments or banking clients.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:24 PM   #92
samcraig
macrumors G5

"Now we're REALLY doubling down on security" @timcook #hacked #dammit
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:26 PM   #93
IzzyJG99
macrumors 6502

I think this is the second company (Saw a news piece yesterday, can't recall the other company) that said they got it by visiting a developer site. Crazy stuff.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:38 PM   #94
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye206 View Post
Silly all around. The real news here is not Apple related, it's foreign relations related. If the Chinese government is endorsing any cyber hacking on any US company, it should be seen as a threat and policies should be tightened. Plenty of other countries to go to for production.

Ahhh..but, if it was all this easy... hard to bite the hand that feeds you.
Maybe it's not too hard.
One could argue that china "bites."
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:39 PM   #95
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamole View Post
someone should start hacking chinese companies and their employees
Why? So that we could see our files again?
ToomeyND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:42 PM   #96
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
What's that you say?
Wait, I missed that! Who said what?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToomeyND View Post
Why? So that we could see our files again?
It makes one wonder why people even bother using Dropbox anymore. There's already a copy in the cloud!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:45 PM   #97
BvW
macrumors newbie

China is a dictatorship and policestate sparing no expense to monitor and censor its citizens. What is the likely hood that the government does not know the names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts of these "rogue hackers"?
BvW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:49 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvW View Post
China is a dictatorship and policestate sparing no expense to monitor and censor its citizens. What is the likely hood that the government does not know the names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts of these "rogue hackers"?
And what's the difference between China and the US again?

"Monitor" its citizens? "Names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts" of anyone? US "Patriot" Act anyone?

This thread is soon going to the Political area, I am sure...
50548 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:52 PM   #99
HMI
macrumors 6502a

What does hacking US companies have to do with Liberating Chinese People?
Maybe they should ask Apple or Apple's advertising agency for some re-design or re-branding? I doubt Apple will help them with that now.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:55 PM   #100
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

Let them have their Great Firewall.
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion