Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:00 PM   #101
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
And what's the difference between China and the US again?

"Monitor" its citizens? "Names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts" of anyone? US "Patriot" Act anyone?

This thread is soon going to the Political area, I am sure...
And why can't the US use the same resources to thwart these hackers?
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:01 PM   #102
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Not that pesky Unit 61398 again!
wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:04 PM   #103
BvizioN
macrumors 68000
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Mac's are unhackable they say. Mac's don't break they say. Windows computers are the only one to get hacked they say.

They say a lot, don't they?
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:05 PM   #104
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
Who actually got any flipping Malware???
You asked in the other thread. Now, you've gotten your answer. Does that make you happy?

The threat is very real, Magnus. Even worse, the threats appear to be state-sponsored and targeted at particular companies. The time has come for all companies to be accountable for the use of Java and Flash on their websites -- and get rid of it. Google: are you listening?
FloatingBones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:15 PM   #105
dysamoria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
This tells you that we have been sold (Technology in general, not just Apple) half baked products. Reactionary measures are a symptom of something that was not well thought out(be it software or hardware).
I've been saying this for ages. The way the software (and hardware) of the computer industry gets away with zero accountability, just for convenience (they convince users that flaws are normal)... This stuff is still in infancy. What other industry is this pathetic? There's no excuse. Not the "complexity" excuse, either. If that excuse was valid, it would invalidate the the reason to use this stuff for what it's used. The technology is pushed through testing to make a quick buck. Security is an opportunistic side-effect industry, just like all the Windows fixing tools.

Demand accountability.

Why do I bother...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by grue View Post
Just disconnect China from the internet at this point, no real downside. Less spam, less malware.
This is actually an amusingly acceptable comment, in the face of the war-mongering over at Apple Insider...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark.Landon View Post
1+ billion Chinese citizens.

It's probably a small group of hackers having fun.
Exactly. Just like mostly every case where this stuff happens.

Last edited by 840quadra; Feb 19, 2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: removed response to deleted comment
dysamoria is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:18 PM   #106
wshamp
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York, NY
So what was the dev website that was spreading this?
wshamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:18 PM   #107
dysamoria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
What gets me is this...

If you have read anything about the NSA(Read "Body of Secrets", forget the author, a great read)... Its supposedly the most massive aggregation of data storage and computing power in the planet. They can read every e-mail, phone conversation and credit card purchase you make (around the WORLD) and actually they supposedly installed a new system that checks purchase patterns even with cash and then the system alerts the concerned people. All transatlantic internet/voice cables exit the sea shore and into AT&T offices where NSA siphons off all the traffic in parallel for analysis. And so on and on....

Then there is this immense brain power. NSA employs the largest number of mathematicians in the world.

With all this power, why can't NSA thwart these hackers? Do they think its child's play and beneath them? If they do, then its about time they got in the game and gave the Chinese hackers a taste of sweet and sour,IP packets.
It is far easier to poke holes in the multitude of various and flawed systems than to make them invulnerable. They'd have to utterly restructure the entire computer industry, and they can't do that. The one power greater than the USA government is the one that pseudo-controls it: USA capitalism. Just try to demand legal accountability from software vendors. It'll be a nice laugh. Actually, a crying shame.
dysamoria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:19 PM   #108
jrbdmb
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
The weakness is Java, not OS X. But then you don't really care, do you?


If it weren't for Minecraft I would have deleted Java long ago, it's not worth the risk any more.
I run Windows on a Dell right now, but this thread has made me think why the hell I have Java on it ... no reason i can think of except Oracle keeps bugging me to update it. Time to delete it once and for all ... not worth the risk.
jrbdmb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:22 PM   #109
dysamoria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvW View Post
China is a dictatorship and policestate sparing no expense to monitor and censor its citizens. What is the likely hood that the government does not know the names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts of these "rogue hackers"?
That puts a lot of faith in the expert execution of said government. Likely, it's no better or worse ordered than any other super power. Do we see expertly executed government in the grand ol' USA? Or do you think police state dictatorships (China would beg to differ) actually run more efficiently and effectively?
dysamoria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:23 PM   #110
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
They say a lot, don't they?
Indeed, they do.
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:23 PM   #111
jrbdmb
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by melendezest View Post
Any user who thinks any computer is un-hackable or immune to viruses is a fool. Period.

There's foolish Mac users, foolish Windows users, etc, etc.

Less prone to these incidents is another story...
I always wondered about that last line. Not saying it isn't true, just wondered.

Are Mac exploits less common due to OSX itself, of just because Windows gets more interest due to its larger market share? And as OSX becomes more popular will it become more of a target and less invunerable?

Last edited by jrbdmb; Feb 19, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
jrbdmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:23 PM   #112
dysamoria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
And what's the difference between China and the US again?

"Monitor" its citizens? "Names, mobile numbers, addresses and favourite breakfasts" of anyone? US "Patriot" Act anyone?
100% Yup.
dysamoria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:23 PM   #113
lkrupp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamole View Post
someone should start hacking chinese companies and their employees
And you think the C.I.A. is not already doing just that?
lkrupp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:24 PM   #114
hayesk
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Mac's are unhackable they say. Mac's don't break they say. Windows computers are the only one to get hacked they say.
Actually the only people that say that are anti-Apple trolls who claim people say that when they need a straw man argument.

People actually say Macs are more secure, not completely secure. People actually say disable the Java plugin.
hayesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:26 PM   #115
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Java is a runtime environment with access to the host system they say. One with many flaws say. And one that can be embedded by any sketchy website they say.

Disable the Java browser plugin (Applications->Utilities->Java Preferences->Untick Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications) and move on?
You could just unplug the computer from the router, or disable wifi and you would be protected also.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbdmb View Post
I always wondered about that last line. Not saying it isn't true, just wondered.

Are Mac exploits less common due to OSX itself, of just because Windows gets more interest due to its larger market share? And as OSX becomes more popular will it become more of a target and less invunerable?
OS X is based on unix, which means it's generally less prone to attacks such as man in the middle attacks, etc. because it's generally more up to date, and updated quicker when an exploit is found.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Actually the only people that say that are anti-Apple trolls who claim people say that when they need a straw man argument.

People actually say Macs are more secure, not completely secure. People actually say disable the Java plugin.
It's a good thing I'm not an anti-Apple troll then.
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:31 PM   #116
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
You could just unplug the computer from the router, or disable wifi and you would be protected also.
Or. You could check updates and install the fixed version.

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:32 PM   #117
wxman2003
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Apple needs to commit cyber terrorism against these people, which we know is the Chinese government. Unleash a massive attack again those computers, and China can't complain, because they say they aren't doing it. So if they are not involved, the computers attacked will not be theirs.
__________________
iMac I5, Macbook, iPad Air, iPad rMini, iPhone 5s, ATV 3
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:36 PM   #118
dysamoria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
OS X is based on unix, which means it's generally less prone to attacks such as man in the middle attacks, etc. because it's generally more up to date, and updated quicker when an exploit is found.
Unix also doesn't have the decades of "competing" features installed, like Windows, nor the multiple cess pools of plug-in containers of Windows. It's less monolithic, less interdependent (ie: break one thing in Windows and you break many other seemingly unrelated things), and generally not designed to win any individual capitalist marketplace competition. Windows compromises to be ubiquitous and inviting to the least skilled developers (not to insult developers, nor suggest development should be hard).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Apple needs to commit cyber terrorism against these people, which we know is the Chinese government. Unleash a massive attack again those computers, and China can't complain, because they say they aren't doing it. So if they are not involved, the computers attacked will not be theirs.
Because its a great idea to attack someone based on rumor and circumstantial evidence. We should instantly escalate any and all offense as an action against the entire nation when individuals in that nation are idiots and troublemakers. Just like idiots advocating for computer-terrorism should be immediately gunned down by patriot act drones.
dysamoria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:38 PM   #119
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
You could just unplug the computer from the router, or disable wifi and you would be protected also.
So you are a vivid user of Java applets in your browser? The last one I saw was a speed test and had counterparts in both Flash and HTML5.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:41 PM   #120
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
So you are a vivid user of Java applets in your browser? The last one I saw was a speed test and had counterparts in both Flash and HTML5.
No, but I am completing my Computer Science degree within a year, and I am taking a Java course in which we develop applets.
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:52 PM   #121
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
And why can't the US use the same resources to thwart these hackers?
I didn't say they couldn't - let's just not pretend the US of A are the beacon of morality and righteousness in this world.
50548 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:53 PM   #122
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
No, but I am completing my Computer Science degree within a year, and I am taking a Java course in which we develop applets.
Somebody should tell your professors that applets are an obsolete technology. They don't work on iOS and other handheld devices, and they shouldn't work on PCs and Macs.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:55 PM   #123
jljue
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brandon, MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
The weakness is Java, not OS X. But then you don't really care, do you?


If it weren't for Minecraft I would have deleted Java long ago, it's not worth the risk any more.
Yeah, my only reason for Java being installed on my Mac is CrashPlan. Their technical support said that they are coming out with a native Mac client sometime this year. It can't come soon enough in my opinion.
__________________
Current: 15" 2011 MBP 2.0 GHz Core i7; 16 GB iPod Nano 4G; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Shuffle 1GB; Apple TV 2; AEBS; iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi Black; ACD 27"
jljue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:57 PM   #124
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
Somebody should tell your professors that applets are an obsolete technology. They don't work on iOS and other handheld devices, and they shouldn't work on PCs and Macs.
The whole University is stuck on Java in the Computer Science department. They are slowly moving to C or C++ though.
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #125
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
The whole University is stuck on Java in the Computer Science department. They are slowly moving to C or C++ though.
You misunderstand. There's no inherent problem with Java.

There is a problem with Applets.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hackers Remotely Locking Some Macs and iOS Devices in Australia for Ransom MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 134 Jun 8, 2014 07:44 AM
Commemorative Posters at Apple Campus List All Former and Current Apple Employees MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 113 Feb 28, 2014 02:00 PM
Want to learn Chinese language? Look at 'Speak Chinese in English for fun'. ML1010 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 5 Aug 30, 2013 02:09 AM
Chinese Repair Shop Employees Scam Apple With Counterfeit iPhone Parts MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 15 Apr 16, 2013 12:29 PM
Apple Mail compromised? Benbikeman OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Nov 5, 2012 11:52 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC