Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:33 PM   #1
ECUpirate44
Banned

Preparing an image for vinyl banner printing

Hey guys, I need help.

I have an image that I need printed on a banner either 4x6 or 3x8. The image is a 2048x1010 pixel .png. The banner maker is requesting that I send him a high res vector copy in .eps format that is at least 300DPI. I created the image in pixelmator and pixelmator does not support .eps format. I also do not know how to increase the DPI. Any help is appreciated.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2
fig
macrumors 6502a

A vector image (EPS) doesn't really have a DPI unless you're using bitmapped artwork (i.e. photos) in the file or if you're using Illustrator effects that are rasterized. Neither is applicable for you here.

The DPI really isn't critical in this case, just the overall dimensions. Make your artwork 2048x1010 and you should be fine.

Tell him you don't have access to software that will create an EPS file and you aren't creating vector artwork, but you can send him a flat PSD at his requested 2048x1010 dimensions and that should work for what he needs.

If he's going to be a jerk about that or charge you for it someone here can probably convert it to EPS for you (it'll take maybe 5 minutes).
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:28 PM   #3
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
A vector image (EPS) doesn't really have a DPI unless you're using bitmapped artwork (i.e. photos) in the file or if you're using Illustrator effects that are rasterized. Neither is applicable for you here.

The DPI really isn't critical in this case, just the overall dimensions. Make your artwork 2048x1010 and you should be fine.

Tell him you don't have access to software that will create an EPS file and you aren't creating vector artwork, but you can send him a flat PSD at his requested 2048x1010 dimensions and that should work for what he needs.

If he's going to be a jerk about that or charge you for it someone here can probably convert it to EPS for you (it'll take maybe 5 minutes).
Thanks for your response.

I just recreated the image with larger dimensions. Pixelmator doesn't do .EPS, but he said .tiff would be fine so that's what i'll use. Everything scaled nicely in pixelmator so all should be good.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4
ECUpirate44
Banned

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me with this image? Maybe put a face on him and a short sleeve shirt, black belt or pants? He's supposed to be a pirate. Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 07:27 AM   #5
DavidBao
macrumors newbie

Hello ECUpirate44

Open your pic in photoshop and resample it at 300 dpi and at 200% its original size. Then, scale it down manually from one of the corner handles. The end result should be quite crisp.

Hope my suggestion will help you.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics