Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
philelzebub
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Fan on full a sign of impending doom?

I picked up a 2nd-hand Mac Mini (2007, C2D 1.83, 3GB ram, OSX 10.7. From a reputable UK based refurb company) to use as my secondary work machine at home.

Booted fine but the fan was running on full pelt from the start. smcFanControl gave it a speed of 5500rpm even though the processor was only at 26 degrees C. An SMC reset didn't fix the issue.

The company I bought it from have taken it back and are running some tests. This makes me think it's nothing as simple as the cable needing plugging back in... Anyway, I've read elsewhere but wanted some kind of clarification, if possible:

Could the fan running at full whack all the time be a sign of impending Logic Board death?

If it's a 'yes' then I might just get a refund and continue searching for another Mac. I have a 12 month warranty from where I bought it but, if the LB is going to die, I'd rather it be MUCH later rather than sooner...

Thank you
philelzebub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:43 PM   #2
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by philelzebub View Post
The company I bought it from have taken it back and are running some tests. This makes me think it's nothing as simple as the cable needing plugging back in... Anyway, I've read elsewhere but wanted some kind of clarification, if possible:

Could the fan running at full whack all the time be a sign of impending Logic Board death?
Yes and Yes.

There is a fan cable that attaches to the daughter board. There is also a cable that attaches to the motherboard that is a heat sensor for the hard drive. If either of those were not attached right (say they replaced the hard drive in their "refurbing" process) then either of those can cause the fan to run at full tilt. I know. I've forgotten to attache the hard drive cable before.

As for your question about the mother board going. It could be this as well. Anything is possible. Remember, this is almost a 6 year old computer at this point anything could die. However, I have two 2006's that I boot up regularly and have no issues so....

Edit: Thinking about it, if the fan cable wasn't connected then the fan wouldn't run at all. So most likely it is just the hard drive sensor cable.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:09 PM   #3
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by philelzebub View Post
I picked up a 2nd-hand Mac Mini (2007, C2D 1.83, 3GB ram, OSX 10.7. From a reputable UK based refurb company) to use as my secondary work machine at home.

Booted fine but the fan was running on full pelt from the start. smcFanControl gave it a speed of 5500rpm even though the processor was only at 26 degrees C. An SMC reset didn't fix the issue.

The company I bought it from have taken it back and are running some tests. This makes me think it's nothing as simple as the cable needing plugging back in... Anyway, I've read elsewhere but wanted some kind of clarification, if possible:

Could the fan running at full whack all the time be a sign of impending Logic Board death?


If it's a 'yes' then I might just get a refund and continue searching for another Mac. I have a 12 month warranty from where I bought it but, if the LB is going to die, I'd rather it be MUCH later rather than sooner...

Thank you
if it is the cable unplugged it is a 5 minute fix. Personally the machine is really old I would return it. Ask for a 2.26 or a 2.53 from the 2009 models.

they can take up to 8gb ram after the firmware upgrade. they were the first good minis.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Acronyc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Last year I picked up a 2007 mini for really cheap because of the same issue. Installed iStat and the HD sensor was at 0 and the CPU was always at 100. Checked both sensors and the HD was unplugged and that fixed one issue, but the CPU was still high. So I opened it up again and reapplied new thermal paste to the CPU and that fixed everything. CPU temps went back to normal and fans went back to humming silently at about 1500RPM. I then was able to resell it for a profit. Thermal paste is pretty cheap so it's worth a shot.

Though I would also agree with philipma1957, if you can get a 2009 mini they are much better. I have two of them running almost constantly without any issues.
Acronyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:19 AM   #5
philelzebub
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thanks so much for the pointers, guys! (more helpful than the official support forum, actually...)

I'll work some of these into my update request email later. They had the Mac delivered back to them on Monday and apparently were running tests yesterday so I would expect if it was fan cable, HDD sensor or thermal paste needed on the CPU that they would've realised this by now

Unfortunately I checked out their stock of 2009 Minis and they're comparatively priced with the 2011 models I can get as refurb direct from Apple UK so there's a quandary. Obviously these guys seem to be pricing things to encourage the older stuff to leave the shop first or something...
philelzebub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Omnius
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by philelzebub View Post
Thanks so much for the pointers, guys! (more helpful than the official support forum, actually...)

I'll work some of these into my update request email later. They had the Mac delivered back to them on Monday and apparently were running tests yesterday so I would expect if it was fan cable, HDD sensor or thermal paste needed on the CPU that they would've realised this by now

Unfortunately I checked out their stock of 2009 Minis and they're comparatively priced with the 2011 models I can get as refurb direct from Apple UK so there's a quandary. Obviously these guys seem to be pricing things to encourage the older stuff to leave the shop first or something...
While the 2006 and 2007 Machines are still selling for 100-250, I would not say a 2006 is really worth it and a 2007 would really only be worth it at the lower end the of spectrum. In retrospect the GMA950 really was as bad as people make it out to be. And really, newer stuff is competitively priced with the old used stuff.
__________________
Mac Mini 5,1, 2.3 ghz, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB (HTPC)
Mac Mini 5,2, 2.5 ghz, 16GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 256 GB SSD
iPhone 4S
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:18 AM   #7
philelzebub
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius View Post
While the 2006 and 2007 Machines are still selling for 100-250, I would not say a 2006 is really worth it and a 2007 would really only be worth it at the lower end the of spectrum. In retrospect the GMA950 really was as bad as people make it out to be. And really, newer stuff is competitively priced with the old used stuff.
Thanks for that info

Refurb company got back to me with an update that they were still testing the fan so couldn't say if it would be repaired or replaced as yet! So I've just asked for a refund as I'm still in my cooling off period...
philelzebub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Omnius
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by philelzebub View Post
Thanks for that info

Refurb company got back to me with an update that they were still testing the fan so couldn't say if it would be repaired or replaced as yet! So I've just asked for a refund as I'm still in my cooling off period...
the 2009s are substantially better and similarly priced. If cost is the primary concern and quality is 2nd, the 2009 is probably the ideal place to be for you.
__________________
Mac Mini 5,1, 2.3 ghz, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB (HTPC)
Mac Mini 5,2, 2.5 ghz, 16GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 256 GB SSD
iPhone 4S
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:47 PM   #9
philelzebub
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius View Post
the 2009s are substantially better and similarly priced. If cost is the primary concern and quality is 2nd, the 2009 is probably the ideal place to be for you.
Unfortunately not at the place I got my recent Mini from. Their 2009 models are priced similarly to the 2011 models I can get direct from Apple as a refurb so I'm currently thinking it best to just get a 2011 model from Apple, unless you guys know something about them that means I should stay clear??
philelzebub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Omnius
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
what place are you buying from?
__________________
Mac Mini 5,1, 2.3 ghz, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB (HTPC)
Mac Mini 5,2, 2.5 ghz, 16GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 256 GB SSD
iPhone 4S
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:54 PM   #11
philelzebub
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius View Post
what place are you buying from?
The Laptop Centre in the UK... They don't just sell laptops, though, obviously

Actually, just noticed their stock has been updated...
philelzebub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:58 PM   #12
ratsg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
another yes.

It was a sign on my Mac anyway.
ratsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:16 PM   #13
Omnius
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by philelzebub View Post
The Laptop Centre in the UK... They don't just sell laptops, though, obviously

Actually, just noticed their stock has been updated...
Those prices seem unreasonably high. Shop around more, you can probably do better.
__________________
Mac Mini 5,1, 2.3 ghz, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB (HTPC)
Mac Mini 5,2, 2.5 ghz, 16GB RAM, 500 GB HD, 256 GB SSD
iPhone 4S
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:05 AM   #14
philelzebub
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius View Post
Those prices seem unreasonably high. Shop around more, you can probably do better.
Funnily enough, of the more reputable refurb places over here, Laptop Centre where the cheapest!

I'll keep my eyes on the Apple Store from now, I think. Unfortunately I missed out on a 2011 model yesterday morning that went for 399...
philelzebub is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBA Fan Running at Full Blast ? kodcl10 MacBook Air 5 Apr 21, 2014 12:32 PM
iMac fan going full blast, why? 2012Tony2012 iMac 3 Jul 16, 2013 04:23 PM
iMac CPU fan at full speed Ken Li iMac 8 Apr 12, 2013 02:04 PM
RMBP Fan's at full speed after waking system up? sazza85 MacBook Pro 7 Dec 21, 2012 04:05 AM
Is it okay to run the fan at full speed jack2wai2 MacBook Air 1 Nov 21, 2012 04:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC