Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

evasion.jpg
Apple today released iOS 6.1.2, fixing a Microsoft Exchange bug that surfaced after the release of iOS 6.1.

Though there were fears that the update might fix the bugs used by the recently released iOS 6.x evasi0n jailbreak, the evad3rs team has confirmed with a tweet (via iPhoneHacks) that the evasi0n jailbreak works with iOS 6.1.2 on an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini. Testing for other devices is still ongoing.

According to evad3rs team member @planetbeing, evasi0n 1.4 will be released later today with official support for iOS 6.1.2. The new update will allow jailbreakers to update to iOS 6.1.2. When released, the download will be available from the evasi0n website.

Update: Evasi0n 1.4 is now available for download.

Article Link: Evasi0n Jailbreak Works with iOS 6.1.2, 1.4 Update Coming Later Today

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Phew. Huge sigh of relief there.

:rolleyes:

Yes, a huge sigh of relief.

I quite enjoy being able to tether my Mac or my work laptop to my iPhone for legitimate, non-excessive purposes, especially when I have had unlimited data for at least 4 years.

BL.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I don't think the jailbreak vulnerabilities are really that high on Apple's priority list. It will probably be fixed with iOS 7 or a 6.2 update.

This is mostly because,
  1. Vulnerability requires physical access to device
  2. It requires passcode to be off
  3. Requires the phone to not have an encrypted backup

Something like the old Jailbreakme.com hack is higher up since the user can just visit a website and be compromised.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
I don't think the jailbreak vulnerabilities are really that high on Apple's priority list. It will probably be fixed with iOS 7 or a 6.2 update.

This is mostly because,
  1. Vulnerability requires physical access to device
  2. It requires passcode to be off
  3. Requires the phone to not have an encrypted backup

Something like the old Jailbreakme.com hack is higher up since the user can just visit a website and be compromised.

Incorrect on one count and mostly useless on the other--does not require passcode to be off (is recommended however) and most people do not encrypt their backups anyway. But yes, physical access is required.

I doubt its just a security issue as well--I can imagine there being an embarrassment factor there too.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Incorrect on one count and mostly useless on the other--does not require passcode to be off (is recommended however) and most people do not encrypt their backups anyway. But yes, physical access is required.

I doubt its just a security issue as well--I can imagine there being an embarrassment factor there too.

I believe if you have an encrypted backup before, you need to turn off your passcode. I know others, including myself, needed to turn off the passcode to complete the jailbreak without an error.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
evasi0n 1.4 will be released later today with OFFICIAL support for iOS 6.1.2

willisbr

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
How does this work? Do I have to update, lose the jailbreak, then re-jailbreak? I currently have the latest jailbreak prior to the update. If I update and have to re-jailbreak, how do I get all of my stuff back on there?

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
How does this work? Do I have to update, lose the jailbreak, then re-jailbreak? I currently have the latest jailbreak prior to the update. If I update and have to re-jailbreak, how do I get all of my stuff back on there?
Very interested to know this as well if anyone can help?

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Very interested to know this as well if anyone can help?

Yes, you need to restore to 6.1.2 in iTunes, then the JB is just the same as any other fresh 6.1.2 device. Then you can set your phone up from a backup (you did remember to back up right?) and then restore your Cydia purchases. There are Cydia apps to assist with restoring those apps, but its easier to just reinstall them from a list if you are sure to write down the JB apps that you use.

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Anyone updating with no issues using iTunes 11.0.2?
I updated to iTunes 11.0.2 first, then restored my JB'd 4S to original state 6.1.2, then was able to re-JB with evasi0n, launch Cydia to prepare the JB filesystem, then restore my phone from the backup I had just taken in iTunes.

A bit cumbersome, but certainly not difficult. The restore says it's got ~20 minutes left, but based how long it took last time to actually complete the restore and do the initial sync of my apps, songs and stuff in iTunes, I'm going to let it run overnight and hope things look good in the morning.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
They still matter, they just won't let you downgrade anymore. However, if you want to restore your device for whatever reason, and your current firmware is no longer signed, you will be forced to update unless you have your blobs saved.
Don't think this is true. You can't downgrade at all. According to this reddit thread the only reason blobs are being saved is if a future bootrom exploit is found and then you could use them to downgrade. At this point it is not possible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/18ug30/musclenerd_many_people_are_misinformed_about/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.