Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Haha, I was just there not more than 5 minutes ago and it still only had 1.3.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
which ipsw do we download for the Verizon iPHone 5 with LTE? The CDMA+GSM, or just CDMA alone?

Also, how do we apply a specific ipsw file again? Hold shift while restoring in itunes?

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Exactly, download the ipsw from iclarified, restore to 6.1.2 via iTunes, then jailbreak again with 1.4

I think I'll stick with 6.1 and save myself a few hours of restoring/jailbreaking/tweaking. Thanks for clearing up the 6.1.2 update process.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Such a PITA, lol.......all my tweaks!

----------

which ipsw do we download for the Verizon iPHone 5 with LTE? The CDMA+GSM, or just CDMA alone?

Also, how do we apply a specific ipsw file again? Hold shift while restoring in itunes?

I don't think there is an iphone 5 CDMA alone is there?

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
so whats the best way to restore all the tweaks and repos after re-jailbreaking? i've been doing it manually the last few times (3gs, 4, 4s...) I remember reading something about deb daemons but don't remember the details

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
so whats the best way to restore all the tweaks and repos after re-jailbreaking? i've been doing it manually the last few times (3gs, 4, 4s...) I remember reading something about deb daemons but don't remember the details

I just use AppInfo and reinstall everything from scratch. I NEVER had any luck with PkgBackup

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I just use AppInfo and reinstall everything from scratch. I NEVER had any luck with PkgBackup

I have had luck in the past with PKGBackup, and this type of upgrade (6.1.1 to 6.1.2) is the perfect type of upgrade for this package. When going from iOS4-iOS5 or something major like that, I always urge people to proceed cautiously when using PKGBackup.

Anyways, I'm the same as you. I have a 3 pronged attack for a perfect mirror image backup. I use a combination of iCloud, AppInfo (to email me a list of all app store apps installed, all cydia repos and packages installed, and a detailed list of contacts just to be safe!), and AppBackup to backup up game saves and stuff like that from the app store. It is a foolproof method which never fails. It might seem tedious, but it's actually quite quick. Another reason I prefer this method over something like PKGBackup is that I usually stretch the Cydia package installations out over several days just to make sure everything is working correctly and behaving together appropriately. This way I can keep an eye on stability and battery issues. I rarely have battery issues but I still like to proceed with caution.

I don't necessarily need to upgrade to 6.1.2, but I always prefer to be on the latest firmwares for all my electronic devices. Rarely, and only with specific reasons, do I stay on an older firmware.

Last edited:

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Does it makes sense to go over all the hassle again? What does we win with 6.1.2 ???

----------

just updated and jailbroke... pkgbackup makes it a breeze

How does that app work? I just install it but how do I make sure everything is backup before doing the update to 6.1.2 and then jail breaking it again?

Last edited:

xchampx13

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
How does that app work? I just install it but how do I make sure everything is backup before doing the update to 6.1.2 and then jail breaking it again?
There are some great tutorials online, I don't remember the exact site but just google search pkgbackup tutorial or something like that. Once it's all backed up restore, jailbreak, install pkgbackup first then just restore from pkgbackup. It will bring it exactly how it was with settings and tweaks and folders and all that.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I have had luck in the past with PKGBackup, and this type of upgrade (6.1.1 to 6.1.2) is the perfect type of upgrade for this package. When going from iOS4-iOS5 or something major like that, I always urge people to proceed cautiously when using PKGBackup.

Anyways, I'm the same as you. I have a 3 pronged attack for a perfect mirror image backup. I use a combination of iCloud, AppInfo (to email me a list of all app store apps installed, all cydia repos and packages installed, and a detailed list of contacts just to be safe!), and AppBackup to backup up game saves and stuff like that from the app store. It is a foolproof method which never fails. It might seem tedious, but it's actually quite quick. Another reason I prefer this method over something like PKGBackup is that I usually stretch the Cydia package installations out over several days just to make sure everything is working correctly and behaving together appropriately. This way I can keep an eye on stability and battery issues. I rarely have battery issues but I still like to proceed with caution.

I don't necessarily need to upgrade to 6.1.2, but I always prefer to be on the latest firmwares for all my electronic devices. Rarely, and only with specific reasons, do I stay on an older firmware.

+1 The horror stories of those who restore Cydia tweaks from backups never ceases on these forums, and if you really want a stable phone long-term, you're still best to manually reinstall your tweaks one at a time from Cydia. Besides, like with any computing device, installing a new OS is always a great opportunity to "clean out the cobwebs" from previous junk you might have tried.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
+1 The horror stories of those who restore Cydia tweaks from backups never ceases on these forums, and if you really want a stable phone long-term, you're still best to manually reinstall your tweaks one at a time from Cydia. Besides, like with any computing device, installing a new OS is always a great opportunity to "clean out the cobwebs" from previous junk you might have tried.

Yes, it takes like 30m to do so, and it's not like one is going to do this all the time. Reinstall it one by one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.