Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martijnvantol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Dear all,

One of my external hard drives does not appear in the finder or the desktop.
It has a lot of data on it that I need for a story I have been working on for my work (I am a journalist).

I can see it in Disk Utility, but when I press 'first aid' the options 'verify disk', or 'repair disk' are not available (grey).

I made a screenshot of the Disk Utilty window and added it as an attachment to this post: pict 1
Then I made a screenshot of the window that appeared when I ctrl-clicked the external hard drive in the utility window and chose; 'information' from the rolled out menu: pict 2

The external hard drive is a Western Digital. In Disk Utility it says:
1.4 TB WD 15EADS External Media

I do not remember if I shut it down incorrectly. Nothing unusual otherwise

I have a Macbook, osx 10.5.8.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Martijn

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
What you see, is only the actual HDD, not the partition / volume, that should be on there.

It might be just a shot partition table, which could be solved with gPARTed or Disk Warrior or it could involve data recovery software (SPAMMERs, we await your arrival in less than twelve months) linked to below:

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
  • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.