Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Makosuke
macrumors 603

CMYK JPEGs showing up as inverted?

I was looking at this article about some classic Apple fantasy designs (which already made the rounds a few weeks ago), but for some reason the image gallery was showing up as inverted in Safari (10.6 version) for me.

I tried extracting and saving one of the JPEGs from it, and it's a CMYK image. If I open it in Preview (again, in 10.6) it also shows inverted. Opened in Firefox or Chrome, however, and it's normal. Same for Photoshop--normal.

Is this an OS-level bug, or is something wonky with my system? And do ALL CMYK JPEGs do this, or is it something weird with the ones in this article? (Obviously they're fine for most people, since the comments are the expected Google/Apple fanboy bickering, with no comments about the images.)
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makosuke View Post
I was looking at this article about some classic Apple fantasy designs (which already made the rounds a few weeks ago), but for some reason the image gallery was showing up as inverted in Safari (10.6 version) for me.

I tried extracting and saving one of the JPEGs from it, and it's a CMYK image. If I open it in Preview (again, in 10.6) it also shows inverted. Opened in Firefox or Chrome, however, and it's normal. Same for Photoshop--normal.

Is this an OS-level bug, or is something wonky with my system?
This is a OS X level bug. Probably in the Core Graphics or Image IO frameworks. Report the bug here:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thanks!

Btw, i see the same bug here (Mac OS X 10.6.8/Safari 5.1.7).

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:47 PM   #3
JohnDamien
macrumors newbie

Not a bug!

I ran into this myself when looking at some .cbr files (compressed comics)

This isn't a bug per se... the images most likely don't have a color profile defined in the header. This has been true in OSX as far back as 10.4

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1252
JohnDamien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDamien View Post
I ran into this myself when looking at some .cbr files (compressed comics). This isn't a bug per se... the images most likely don't have a color profile defined in the header. This has been true in OSX as far back as 10.4
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1252
Images without color profiles are perfectly normal. You should find another excuse! And as you know, third party applications (Photoshop, for example) do not have this problem.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:34 AM   #5
Makosuke
macrumors 603

A follow-up note, having tested, the issue is fixed in 10.8.

My guess is it was fixed in 10.7, but I no longer have an install of it to test with.

And honestly, it is a bug in the practical sense. I'm not familiar enough with the JPEG spec to know exactly what interpretation of it results in older versions of Apple's renderer interpreting CMYK JPEGs with no explicit color profile as inverted. It's possible that it's not technically incorrect in the strictest sense, but given that the most major producer of JPEGs (Photoshop) doesn't generate files expecting that behavior, and all major JPEG renderers in use that I'm aware of (Photoshop, Graphic Converter, whatever engines Firefox and Chrome use) don't display them expecting that behavior, it's pretty clear that "standard practice" dictates that QT was doing it wrong.

Validated, of course, by the fact that they changed/fixed the behavior in the current OS. In some situations, "standard" equals "correct" if the spec isn't specific enough.
Makosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help