Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 8, 2009, 03:48 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases AirPort Software Update, Firmware Updates Addressing SuperDrive Noise

Apple today released four software updates, one AirPort client update targeting Snow Leopard users and three firmware updates addressing optical disk drive noise on a number of the company's computers.

- AirPort Client Update 2009-002 (12.95 MB) addresses several issues experienced by users of Mac OS X Snow Leopard related to wireless networking.This update is recommended for all Macintosh computers running Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and includes fixes for the following:

- Inability to turn AirPort on or off in some cases after upgrading from Mac OS X Leopard
- An occasional loss of network connection when using Wake on Demand
- Inability to create a computer-to-computer network, or share the Internet connection on some MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini computers
- Individual firmware updates for the MacBook (MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.4, 3.14 MB) and MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.8, 3.36 MB) work with the separate SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0 (18.35 MB) to address optical disk drive noises on Apple computers.This update will eliminate the noise made by the optical disk drive during system startup and wake from sleep on your Mac. This update works with the following EFI updates:

iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4
Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2
MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.4
MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.8Full details on the SuperDrive firmware update are available in the associated support document. The update was previously offered in association with the August release of Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2, and iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.4 was released in May.

Article Link: Apple Releases AirPort Software Update, Firmware Updates Addressing SuperDrive Noise
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:18 PM   #2
yoyomaster
macrumors regular

my superdrive still makes noise on start ups and wake ups, so I don't exactly know if it fixed it for my umb.
yoyomaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:19 PM   #3
jgbhardy
macrumors 6502

Damn not for mine

My Macbook 4,1 has had a seriously loud superdrive upon wake up etc, but this isn't for it! I think i might have to replace it once I have enough money.
PowerBook G4 Titanium Onyx
jgbhardy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
PurrBall
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to PurrBall
It fixed my noise on wake (knock on wood!) but not start up. The previous SuperDrive 3.0 update didn't even start, this is great! My old firmware was 2AHC.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:22 PM   #5
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

Installed all the updates.

Result: Quiet wake-up on MacBook Pro 5,2 (17" ubMBP Early 2009). It's kinda strange, since I've grown so accustomed to the sound.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Sebby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurrBall View Post
It fixed my noise on wake (knock on wood!) but not start up. The previous SuperDrive 3.0 update didn't even start, this is great! My old firmware was 2AHC.
Same here, so I'm pleased this worked, though it didn't exactly fix the issue!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:33 PM   #7
pullfocus
macrumors 6502a

This isn't showing for me in Software Update. I assume this means I don't need it?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:34 PM   #8
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

Same here, eliminated the noise only on wake on my uMBP 5,1. Startup/restart still makes the sound.
VTECaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:38 PM   #9
BigJimmyC
macrumors regular

I hope this update will stop my wireless network connection from periodically needing to be "repaired." It's been a major pain in the ass since updating to 10.6.
BigJimmyC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:38 PM   #10
Toeknee
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Toeknee
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyomaster View Post
my superdrive still makes noise on start ups and wake ups, so I don't exactly know if it fixed it for my umb.
After you install the EFI update you have to download and install the Superdrive update...I thought the same thing until I realize that the EFI lets the SD Update run and fix the noise issue.

Hope this help!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:38 PM   #11
cjcamilla
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullfocus View Post
This isn't showing for me in Software Update. I assume this means I don't need it?
Not showing for me, either. I'm just gonna assume I don't need it. I REALLY needed the AirPort software update, though. Happy for that
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:47 PM   #12
lamina
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbhardy View Post
My Macbook 4,1 has had a seriously loud superdrive upon wake up etc, but this isn't for it! I think i might have to replace it once I have enough money.
Same here. I was really hoping they'd address this. Sometimes it sounds like the drive is just gonna give up. Every time I open it, reeeerrrr-eeeeurrrrrrrrrrrr. Sometimes long, sometimes short.
lamina is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Fatdog
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeknee View Post
After you install the EFI update you have to download and install the Superdrive update...I thought the same thing until I realize that the EFI lets the SD Update run and fix the noise issue.

Hope this help!
Thanks for mentioning that! I didn't realize the EFI update and SuperDrive updates were separate. Solved a lot of confusion I had as to why my superdrive hasn't updated.
Fatdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:50 PM   #14
yoyomaster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeknee View Post

Hope this help!
Thanks! I misread and didn't know they were separate updates.
yoyomaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:51 PM   #15
nehalemi7
macrumors newbie

Doesn't look like this is for 13'' MacBook Pros
nehalemi7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:25 PM   #16
stridemat

I thought it was normal for macs to make that strange sound. I though of it more as a feature.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:43 PM   #17
SimonJ
macrumors regular

I'm grateful that the wake up noise is gone, but this update was supposed to get rid of the start up one, too. Oh well, better than nothing, I guess.

This is on MacBook 5,1
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:46 PM   #18
celticpride678

I am still having the SuperDrive make noise on startup like others. However, the sleep noise is gone. It seems kinda weird that it is not there, but it is much better!
celticpride678 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:49 PM   #19
Chundles
macrumors G4

Really Apple? Really?

The noise from the Superdrive was something so horrible it required you to work on it?

Really?

This was a priority?

I bet Steve just got jack of the tiny amount of noise from his laptop he stole the whole software division to fix it.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:49 PM   #20
ncsmith4
macrumors 6502

Updated. Ive still got the noise... both sleep and startup.
ncsmith4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:50 PM   #21
lewis82
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalemi7 View Post
Doesn't look like this is for 13'' MacBook Pros
Yeah that's what I saw too...

The drive revision number needs to be Rxxx (with x being numbers), but on mine, it's SB00..

Too bad, I'll keep hearing the SuperDrive making noise at startup.

I know it won't kill me but it gets annoying...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 05:57 PM   #22
Gyrferret
macrumors regular

I've always kinda disliked the loudness of it all. Especially trying to *discreetly* open my MacBook in the middle of class. Nu-uh. Forget about that. Might as well have a boeing 747 touch down....
EDIT: Like some of you, my 5,1 MB is only noise-less while waking up. That's all that really matters to me. Although, it feels weird not having it make any noise. Kinda..... strange. Like a familiar being has left your life....

Last edited by Gyrferret; Dec 8, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
Gyrferret is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:00 PM   #23
vassillios
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyC View Post
I hope this update will stop my wireless network connection from periodically needing to be "repaired." It's been a major pain in the ass since updating to 10.6.
I'm having the same problem, but it only started about a week ago for me.
vassillios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:08 PM   #24
-Ryan-
macrumors 68000

I have updated and while there is no noise when waking from sleep, there is still a noise when powering on/restarting. Something is dodgy about this update; I'd hold off a while on updating. Apple will probably pull it and fix the issue.

Last edited by -Ryan-; Dec 8, 2009 at 06:15 PM.
-Ryan- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:16 PM   #25
j-traxx
macrumors regular

bootcamp problem

now everytime i try to boot up it automatically boots into my bootcamp partition. i dont know what to do right now. i cant boot into osx.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion