Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonCarlos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Las Vegas
Weirdest thing,

iPhone 4 will charge on Mac or PC with USB plugin, but not charge on wall or in car.

-It is not a defect of the wall plug or usb wire or car charger.....those same cables all work with my wife's and daughter's iPhone. And too, using their cables on my iPhone ends up with the same result that my phone only charges on a PC or my Mac.

What I have done:
=Soft reset. Multiple times
-Hard reset. Multiple times
-Reset to factory settings, loading original firmware.
-Reverted to previous and current version of iOS
-Clean the iPhone port as well as possible (but as Apple said if the port was the problem then it wouldn't charge on the computer.
-Reseated the Sim card.
And spent an hour on the phone with Apple, which suggested to reset everything to factory settings.

The problem is still there, it does not charge with any of the 4 USB wall plugs and 3 car charges that I have access to. But will charge on a PC or my mac.

Apple did say to take it to a Genius, but the caveat is that "probably not a hardware issue" since you can charge it on a computer.

My phone is past warranty, and never has had any issues, and has not been dropped or damaged. This problem just showed up out of the blue.

Anyone else dealt with this issue before or have any suggestions. Appreciate your responses.

Rugbyplayer

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Exactly the opposite!

Since I upgraded to IOS7, my iPhone 4S will charge from the wall but not from the MacBook Pro. It shows that its charging from the laptop...green battery...lightening bolt etc...but all the while its discharging.Tried everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.