Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:43 AM   #76
hpod
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
and the 4s costs what on contract?

continue on please..
So basically, you have no argument and this is how you admit it?

You're basically saying it's unfair to compare it to the 5 (which is far more expensive than an S3), but it's also unfair to compare it to the 4S because of it's lower price?

So, in other words, you have nothing to add here.

By your rational:
* Can't compare it to the 5, which is more expensive than an S3, because the 5 is newer.
* Can't compare it to the 4S, which is less expensive than an S3, because the 4S is older.

So that means you won't be comparing the 5 agains the S4 when it comes out next month? Too bad you will be.

Last edited by hpod; Feb 20, 2013 at 09:50 AM.
hpod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:43 AM   #77
err404
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
Hey look an EOL phone is being out sold by two
EOL or not, the S3 is the top selling android handset. It wouldn't make senese to compare sales with newer but less popular handsets.. Besides the 4s would be considered EOL by the same logic, yet it also outsold the S3.

Basically the S3 is the third most popular handset by sales in the last 6 months.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:43 AM   #78
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Why is it fair? The table includes a previous generation iPhone and the current generation iPhone, but only includes the current generation Galaxy S phone. It's as though the table was designed just to present and tout how many phones Apple outsold its competitors during the two quarters.

And I fervently hate Samsung. But this table, as well as the conclusion, just create a bad image of Apple fans.
Dude give it up you obviously don't understand what's going on.

The top selling smart phones for the 4th quarter are....

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
SG III
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:44 AM   #79
hpod
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
We are talking about the previous and current generations, not the three top-selling phones.
Actually, they ARE talking about the top three selling phones. :P

Next time, try reading the chart.
hpod is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:46 AM   #80
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascots View Post
Apparently the stock market does.
From what we've seen over the last few months, Wall Street does NOT expect Apple to stay on top.

Exactly the opposite, in fact.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:47 AM   #81
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Why is it fair? The table includes a previous generation iPhone and the current generation iPhone, but only includes the current generation Galaxy S phone. It's as though the table was designed just to present and tout how many phones Apple outsold its competitors during the two quarters.

And I fervently hate Samsung. But this table, as well as the conclusion, just create a bad image of Apple fans.
Wow. Who'd thought you could get it wrong twice.

edit*

just saw your third post and you're still not getting it. Wow
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:48 AM   #82
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
We are talking about the previous and current generations, not the three top-selling phones.
The article has a single graphic. It's a graphic about which phones are the top 3 selling models.

So...we're not talking about the article, is what you're saying?
Small White Car is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:49 AM   #83
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
We are talking about the previous and current generations, not the three top-selling phones.
You just proved my point you don't understand what's going on.
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:51 AM   #84
BvizioN
macrumors 68020
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2133 View Post
If you're going to include 4S and 5, then you should also include S2 and Blaze. This is an unfair comparison - to take just the S3.
Do people even read anything except titles now days?
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:51 AM   #85
ElTorro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
This article reminds me of a soviet era propaganda, where they were trying to prove that socialism is beating the captitalism.

The author can crunch the numbers to make Apple appear in a better light any way he pleases, but the facts remain:

In Global Smartphone sales in Q$ 2012 Samsung sold 62.9M smartphones vs Apple's 47.8. It is a comparison of all smartphones that these companies produce and sell. It shouldn't matter if Samsung makes 20 vs Apple's iPhone 3G/4/4S/5. If Samsung can output a bigger variaty of phones that people want, it shouldn't be held against them in the comperison.

For the whole year, Samsung sold 205M smartphones vs Apple's 130. That is 70M more, not a number that should be discounted, but I'm sure the Apple fanbase will be able to rebuke it somehow.

As far as Android vs iOS in Q4, 152M Android smartphones were sold in Q4 vs 47M iOS, that's a 100M more!

For 2012, the numbers are even more profound; 479M vs 135.8M, a differene of 350M smartphones. iOS market share went from 26% to 19% in a year.

When I look at these numbers, I don't see Apple winning anything. All I see is an article that distorts reality to keep the blind dumb and happy.

The other point this article forgets to point out is that the S3 is about to be replaced. A point that macrumors quikly pointed out about the 4S when the S3 outsold it. At least a mention would have been nice.

Last edited by ElTorro; Feb 20, 2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
ElTorro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:52 AM   #86
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpod View Post
So basically, you have no argument and this is how you admit it?

You're basically saying it's unfair to compare it to the 5 (which is far more expensive than an S3), but it's also unfair to compare it to the 4S because of it's lower price?

So, in other words, you have nothing to add here.

By your rational:
* Can't compare it to the 5, which is more expensive than an S3, because the 5 is newer.
* Can't compare it to the 4S, which is less expensive than an S3, because the 4S is older.

So that means you won't be comparing the 5 agains the S4 when it comes out next month? Too bad you will be.

Moron.
You can compare them all day long SGSIII is an OLD phone and but Sammies High end phone. it's still expensive. People are not buying any more cause its OLD..Does it suprise me that the 5 out sold it? NO it was just introduced..

The 4S dropped into the Apple bargain phone as soon as the 5 came out it became the $1 on contract phone. Does it suprise me that a less expensive apple product out sold a more expensive non-apple product..NO

Should we get into a big circle jerk about it NO


Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvtecjohn3 View Post
Dude give it up you obviously don't understand what's going on.

The top selling smart phones for the 4th quarter are....

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
SG III
And that's fine

5= New and expensive
4s= equals cheap
SGSIII= old and expensive
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:53 AM   #87
Popeye206
macrumors 68030
 
Popeye206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NE PA USA
I don't get what is so hard about these numbers???? For goodness sake.... they are just pointing out what were the top selling Smart phones of the previous quarter. Geezch!
Popeye206 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:56 AM   #88
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a
 
Chris.L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
This line from the article is interesting:

The Samsung Galaxy S3 total does not include the S3 Mini, S2, S or any other related models. Why not? It is an S3 after all.

Also it would've been interesting to see the Note 2 broken out of 'others' as its Samsung's other major device.

And before anyone says it, I'm not combining anything and can and have read the article.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the S4 and Note 3 are released.
__________________
New to forums?
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:59 AM   #89
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTorro View Post
When I look at these numbers, I don't see Apple winning anything.


Nothing?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/...apple-samsung/
Small White Car is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:00 AM   #90
hpod
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
People are not buying any more cause its OLD..Does it suprise me that the 5 out sold it? NO it was just introduced..
I agree that the 5 outselling it isn't a surprise...and I agree that comparing sales numbers of Samsung vs Apple are never really fair, as both companies are under different release schedules. Also, you responded to me calling you a moron, I retracted that statement, because it's no way to have a conversation with someone.

That said, people ARE still buying the S3...as it sold 15.4 million units last quarter. My brother bought two of them himself.
hpod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 AM   #91
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
This line from the article is interesting:

The Samsung Galaxy S3 total does not include the S3 Mini, S2, S or any other related models. Why not? It is an S3 after all.

Also it would've been interesting to see the Note 2 broken out of 'others' as its Samsung's other major device.

And before anyone says it, I'm not combining anything and can and have read the article.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the S4 and Note 3 are released.
I suspect the new HTC one will cut into both the S4 and Note 3 sales.
__________________
iPhone 6+ 128Gb2010 MacBookProiPad air, ATV3Airport ExpressiPhone 5, 64Gb(wife)2014 iMac(wife)iPad mini(wife)
osofast240sx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 AM   #92
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
It's funny how smartphones of all things are the items we buy and wish to see the competitors fail and think their users are fools.

We don't do this with our cereal, car, jeans...but arrrgghhh, Samsung (or Apple) must die!!!

Such silly competitiveness.

Who you mean "we"?
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 AM   #93
hpod
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
This line from the article is interesting:

The Samsung Galaxy S3 total does not include the S3 Mini, S2, S or any other related models. Why not? It is an S3 after all.

Also it would've been interesting to see the Note 2 broken out of 'others' as its Samsung's other major device.

And before anyone says it, I'm not combining anything and can and have read the article.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the S4 and Note 3 are released.
Because they're comparing the top selling phone models in the previous 2 quarters. I know it's really super hard to understand that...maybe your parents should be supervising your computer time, since you have to be what...5 years old to not understand a rather simple chart?

And for the record, the S3 Mini is NOT the same model as an S3. Just like the *free on contract iPhone 4* is NOT the same as a 4S. :P
hpod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:02 AM   #94
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTorro View Post
The other point this article forgets to point out is that the S3 is about to be replaced. A point that macrumors quikly pointed out about the 4S when the S3 outsold it. At least a mention would have been nice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors Article
The leapfrog game between Apple and Samsung is likely to continue when Samsung launches its new flagship handset, the Galaxy S4, which is expected on March 14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTorro View Post
This article reminds me of a soviet era propaganda,

All I see is an article that distorts reality to keep the blind dumb and happy.
Yes, I am also looking at something right now that's trying to distort reality. Unfortunately for you, we're not blind so it didn't work.
Small White Car is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:04 AM   #95
dugbug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Ok to recap for those that are emotionally defending samsung:

(note these are estimates and only cover smartphones)
The #1 Q4 marketshare WORLDWIDE is the iphone 5 @ 12.6%
The #2 Q4 marketshare WORLDWIDE is the iphone 4s @ 8.0%
The #3 Q4 marketshare WORLDWIDE is the S3 @ 7.1%

Thats all the article is saying. Nobody thought the 4S would sell more in a quarter than the S3, so thats the point many blogs are jumping on.
__________________
Doodle Dice iOS puzzle game: http://www.dyerware.com/forum/index....pic,194.0.html
The greatest iOS game in the world? Perhaps my friends. Perhaps.
dugbug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:04 AM   #96
dec.
macrumors 6502a
 
dec.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvtecjohn3 View Post
Dude give it up you obviously don't understand what's going on.

The top selling smart phones for the 4th quarter are....

iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
SG III
That's pretty much down to the facts.

It's interesting / scary to see the reactions that this news provokes. People seem to take those numbers very personal - to the point where it's hilarious.
__________________
Apple/Win/Linux stuff
dec. is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:04 AM   #97
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmccoy View Post
"The leapfrog game between Apple and Samsung is likely to continue when Samsung launches its new flagship handset, the Galaxy S4, which is expected on March 14."


Right. Because the crazy consumers leading this game are the people that buy a new phone every year so they can have the latest and greatest—or show it off. Like a new shirt.

Who shows off a new shirt? Anybody can buy a new shirt.

But it takes a certain type of person to buy a new Apple product!


/s
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:07 AM   #98
JGIGS
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpod View Post
Oh my God.

Try reading a story before responding.

You are wrong. Period.

They're NOT #@$!$#@ combining the sales of the 4S and the 5. What about this are you and others NOT getting? Are you in 3rd grade, or can you actually read a simple chart?

The 4S, ALL BY ITSELF OUTSOLD THE S3. ALL BY ITSELF.

My goodness, it's like talking to children.
What we children are trying to say is its a skued stat because samsung has a lot more models that canibalize each other. There is only one iphone/ios device released a year. All we are saying is a more fair and interesting stat would be to compare all iphones sold vs all samsung phones. Broken down by operating system.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro Retina 2012, Nexus 5 2013
JGIGS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:11 AM   #99
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTorro
When I look at these numbers, I don't see Apple winning anything. All I see is an article that distorts reality to keep the blind dumb and happy.
If you are going to play that game how many smartphones (touchscreen) has Samsung sold in its entire history vs how many has Apple sold in its history? Anything less than a complete history is likely to distort things in one way or another.
JohnDoe98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:13 AM   #100
hpod
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGIGS View Post
What we children are trying to say is its a skued stat because samsung has a lot more models that canibalize each other. There is only one iphone/ios device released a year. All we are saying is a more fair and interesting stat would be to compare all iphones sold vs all samsung phones. Broken down by operating system.
That would be a different chart for a different comparison. The problem is this discussion should be about THIS chart...not that one. This chart, quite simply, is comparing the top three selling individual phone models over the previous two quarters. That's all. It's not comparing all time sales.

Certain charts are for certain purposes...and this is the purpose of THIS specific chart.

What you are saying is like going to a baseball game and comparing the low scores to that of a football game...which would be a DIFFERENT SPORT.
hpod is offline   4 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samsung Galaxy S III Estimated to Top iPhone 4S in 3Q 2012 Worldwide Shipments MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 297 Nov 14, 2012 03:53 PM
Samsung Galaxy S III dethrones iPhone 4S as smartphone sales champ for Q3 2012 Tarzanman Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 59 Nov 10, 2012 10:59 AM
Samsung Galaxy S III Reportedly Tops iPhone 4S as Best-Selling U.S. Smartphone MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 179 Oct 8, 2012 09:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC